Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: am970 The Answer

am970 The Answer

Joe Piscopo was boasting about the immense financial success of am970, which broadcasts his show. However, judging by the overall dearth of advertising and the low-quality of the advertisers, combined with the lack of listeners, I have to wonder if the station is even in the green, let alone a huge moneymaker.
    Last edited by Lee Linwood; 05-09-2019 at 06:40 AM.

Never trust anything you here on the radio!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Linwood View Post
    Joe Piscopo was boasting about the immense financial success of am970, which broadcasts his show. However, judging by the overall dearth of advertising and the low-quality of the advertisers, combined with the lack of listeners, I have to wonder if the station is even in the green, let alone a huge moneymaker.
    And? You’re listening. Rather closely at that it would appear.

People engage in puffery. It doesn’t really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by rjt45 View Post
    Never trust anything you here on the radio!
    Ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by AbrahamJSimpson View Post
    And? You’re listening. Rather closely at that it would appear.

People engage in puffery. It doesn’t really matter.
    You appear to be reading my posts rather closely.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Linwood View Post
    The station has been reported by its owner as profitable. If you control costs, that type of second or third tier programming makes money.

While there may be a Green New Deal, profitable businesses are said to be “in the black” and not in the green. But “green” does make moré se sense. The use of red and black has to do with old fashioned typewriter ribbons which could do just red and black on some machines. Red was used to distinguish debits or losses.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    The station has been reported by its owner as profitable. If you control costs, that type of second or third tier programming makes money.
    Keep in mind that this is also a station that does a lot of things it HAS to do, and that includes host-reads of those "My Pillow" ads that the OP dislikes. That includes running infomercials by doctors on weekends. That includes having hosts write books that are published by Salem's book company. This is how you make money with a low rated AM station that might be more about image than reality. If the owner and the morning host say they're profitable, and you believe them, then that's all that matters.

Is it possible that WNYM is the best-performing of the Salem "Answer"-brand stations? There are only 33, and several are poor facilities, so I wouldn't bet against it.
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

Well , WNTP here in Philadelphia ( actually Lafayette Hill) is a Salem affiliate but it is oftentimes impossible to listen to. because of all the interruptions . . I’ve let them know about it . The hosts are good and all syndicated but when you come out of the bottom of the hour station break at 34 past , go to a commercial break at 39 past , come back at 45 past and break again at 52 past, you have a unlistenable station . And tune outs . There’s nothing good on weekends .

Quote Originally Posted by PTBoardOp94 View Post
    Is it possible that WNYM is the best-performing of the Salem "Answer"-brand stations? There are only 33, and several are poor facilities, so I wouldn't bet against it.
    I’d be surprised if am970 is even turning a profit. Salem’s Christian stations are the cash cows running a steady stream of ministry and related paid programming. Many of the national commercials running on am970 are network ads likely running for free on the station. The morning show has only a small handful of regular sponsors, such as a car dealership and a mom-and-pop restaurant which likely don’t represent massive billings. The trickle of new sponsors tend to quickly disappear, probably due to poor listener-response. I suspect Salem is subsidizing am970, supported also by sister station am570 “The Mission.”

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast