• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Who’s broadcasting nothing at 95.9 MHz?

Just curious as to who or what is broadcasting apparently just a carrier wave at 95.9 MHz in Phoenix metro. I used to be able to pick up KKLD out of Cottonwood, but several weeks ago (maybe a few months by now?) that station got stomped out by another station. I heard religious programming a time or two, but have heard nothing but dead air for quite a while. Anybody know what’s up?

Just curious as to who or what is broadcasting apparently just a carrier wave at 95.9 MHz in Phoenix metro. I used to be able to pick up KKLD out of Cottonwood, but several weeks ago (maybe a few months by now?) that station got stomped out by another station. I heard religious programming a time or two, but have heard nothing but dead air for quite a while. Anybody know what’s up?

It's a translator on the White Tank Mountains owned by KNLB Lake Havasu City. They're fed by 95.5 HD3, which is supposed to simulcast KNLB, but has been silent the past couple of weeks. It's supposed to be directional to the SSE, but I've heard it step on KQFN's 95.9 translator in Gilbert.

Then again, KRPH-FM1 booster (broadcasting from the same site as 106.3 KOMR) on 99.5 has been broadcasting nothing for about a year now.

Last edited:
It's a translator on the White Tank Mountains owned by KNLB Lake Havasu City. They're fed by 95.5 HD3, which is supposed to simulcast KNLB, but has been silent the past couple of weeks. It's supposed to be directional to the southwest, but I've heard it step on KQFN's 95.9 translator in Gilbert.

Then again, KRPH-FM1 booster (broadcasting from the same site as 106.3 KOMR) on 99.5 has been broadcasting nothing for about a year now.

Yeah, I have several issues with this translator, but chief among them is that I don’t believe the signal is being broadcasted in the right pattern because I too have heard it stomp over KQFN’s 95.9 translator out here in Mesa / Gilbert. Also, KKLD is a great classic hits station that just a couple years ago you could hear anywhere in the valley. Now, you can only pick it up in the north valley. Also, why is a religious station from Lake Havasu leasing an HD-3 signal from Clear Channel and putting up translators all over the state? Very frustrating.

Yeah, I have several issues with this translator, but chief among them is that I don’t believe the signal is being broadcasted in the right pattern because I too have heard it stomp over KQFN’s 95.9 translator out here in Mesa / Gilbert. Also, KKLD is a great classic hits station that just a couple years ago you could hear anywhere in the valley. Now, you can only pick it up in the north valley. Also, why is a religious station from Lake Havasu leasing an HD-3 signal from Clear Channel and putting up translators all over the state? Very frustrating.

I believe KKLD runs Westwood One's "Classic Hits" feed.

I know nothing about the business of radio, so it’s pure ignorance that makes me think: Building (or renting) and powering radio transmitters that just flood various areas with carrier waves can’t be very profitable.

I liked KKLD’s mix, so I’m not happy with the signal having been blanked by nothingness. And yes KKLD is very clearly a national network feed.

Thanks for the info.

In Prescott, KTMG broadcasts "Fun Oldies" at 97.9, a rebroadcast of their
HD signal. Pretty good stuff........... and not too different from KKLD's mix.

In Prescott, KTMG broadcasts "Fun Oldies" at 97.9, a rebroadcast of their
HD signal. Pretty good stuff........... and not too different from KKLD's mix.

Is that similar to the Fun Oldies they used to have on 1450 AM? I remember listening to that up there about 10 years ago and it was a great mix of 50’s and 60’s Oldies, similar to how the Goldmine / Lumberyard used to be on 1440 AM here in Scottsdale. I wish we could get that Fun Oldies in down here in Phoenix.

Is that similar to the Fun Oldies they used to have on 1450 AM? I remember listening to that up there about 10 years ago and it was a great mix of 50’s and 60’s Oldies, similar to how the Goldmine / Lumberyard used to be on 1440 AM here in Scottsdale. I wish we could get that Fun Oldies in down here in Phoenix.

KNOT, AM 1450 did have oldies but this is syndicated. Steve Goddard is
host. Limited commercial interruptions, ABC news at the top of every hour,
The National Anthem at Noon and top hits from the 50's, 60's and a few
newer as well. Too bad KOOL, 94.5 doesn't offer it in Phoenix.......

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom