Thread: What Was It Like to Work With Dan Ingram?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What Was It Like to Work With Dan Ingram?

I met him once, and hung out in the studio while he did his show. Great guy and, of course, the consummate pro. I'll never forget how he would be telling me some kind of story about someone, but then he'd have to do a break. The break was like some kind of minor interruption from our conversation. He'd go on the air sounding as great as usual, and then segue back to what we were talking about as though nothing happened. It was incredible.

I was always curious about what others had to say about working with him. Anyone know?

Betw Hazleton and Pottsville PA ; Allentown closest market
    A *little* off-topic, inasmuch as we weren't in the studio ....

It was the night that Jim Nettleton suddenly was let go from WABC, and there was no one available to fill in but Dan Ingram, who had just done his own show. I forget the date. It's not far back enough to remember. Late 71 or early 1972, probably.

Our buddy Harry (Hugh Heavy) Mankin was one of us. From somewhere in Harry's own encyclopedic memory he had the phone number/hotline to WABC's studio at the time. He got Ingram on the phone during Big Dan's extended air shift and spoke for a decent while. They got into a discussion about FCC licenses, and Ingram told Harry, 'Yeah. I had a 'Second' once. I don't know whatever happened to it.' You could only imagine him punctuating the casual line with the 'DANNN Ingrumm!' sounder.

Meantime, he's doing his air shift. One song was the 5:00 tune 'Wild Horses' by the Rolling Stones. Out of it came the WABC Instant Replay sounder and the song started again. 'Hah. Yes indeed. Guess where I'm going!' he announced.
    Then it was back to Harry's phone call instead of the mens' room.
    It was around 11:00, iIrc, that he -- not the WABC newsman -- did the newscast, and signed off it with the name Lamont Cranston.

The guy must've been bored out of his earphones after seven or so hours, yet kept up the same pacing and silliness on the air -- while talking to a bunch of DJ callers out in Coram Long Island, about 50 miles east and a long-distance call away. It was swell that he took the time to do that ...... and communicate on two different levels (as 5280 Guy states Ingram was capable of doing with complete aplomb).

It was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Green NEPA View Post
    A *little* off-topic, inasmuch as we weren't in the studio ....

It was the night that Jim Nettleton suddenly was let go from WABC, and there was no one available to fill in but Dan Ingram, who had just done his own show. I forget the date. It's not far back enough to remember. Late 71 or early 1972, probably.

Our buddy Harry (Hugh Heavy) Mankin was one of us. From somewhere in Harry's own encyclopedic memory he had the phone number/hotline to WABC's studio at the time. He got Ingram on the phone during Big Dan's extended air shift and spoke for a decent while. They got into a discussion about FCC licenses, and Ingram told Harry, 'Yeah. I had a 'Second' once. I don't know whatever happened to it.' You could only imagine him punctuating the casual line with the 'DANNN Ingrumm!' sounder.
    Steve, it might narrow down the time to point out that Wild Horses was a Power in spring 1971. ‘Or-FM went on it right after Sticky Fingers was released in April and WABC added it sometime as album cut in late May-early June.

It peaked around the time school was ending.

At 05:40 minus a few for WABC's pitch-up -it made a good bathroom record.

That was likely the only period they would have had a B copy to do a replay.

LCG

Mr. Ingram (“my name is Dan”) was a perfectionist. I remember his cues to be extraordinarily crisp and clear. Thus, when an engineer missed one, Big Dan would sometimes call him or her out on the air. A board op had to be sharp!
    Plugged into the electric radio

Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
    A board op had to be sharp!
    There were no “board ops” at Musicradio, just Engineers.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rjt45 View Post
    There were no “board ops” at Musicradio, just Engineers.
    Same job, different title.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.