• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KFNY/Centralia acquired by Bustos

Did you even read the article? IT said it would likely rebroadcast the "LaZeta" regional mexican format from KMIA 1210/KZNW 103.3,nowhere in the RI article do they even mention La Raza.

It's strange how Bustos is fond of La Zeta, with "La Raza" being a more powerful name for that format.

I really expect to see iHeart selling off more stations in their various trusts now that they're owned by the creditors.

It's strange how Bustos is fond of La Zeta, with "La Raza" being a more powerful name for that format.

why is it more powerful, David? Easier/smoother to say? I know nothing about spanish radio and would love to learn whatever i can.

South Sound Smooth Jazz will be coming to a close soon...
But 104.9 continues on as iHeart Christian.

why is it more powerful, David? Easier/smoother to say? I know nothing about spanish radio and would love to learn whatever i can.

Contrary to the belief amonth non-Mexicans, "Raza" does not usually mean "race" in Mexico. It is a colloquial term meaning anything from "the gang" to "my kind of people" or "working folks".

For example, a guy walks into a bar (no joke ahead!) and sees his buddies there. He says, "Eh, Raza, ¡quihúbole!" just as you might say, "hey, guys, what's up?".

It's a very common expression, used by "ordinary folks" nearly as often as Australians say "mate" in conversation.

So, with the elements of "brotherhood" it is a perfect name for a male-leaning regional Mexican radio station.

"Raza" can also mean "breed", as in Cockers and Beagles and Yorkies. And finally, it means "race" in the sense of white, Black, Asian, Native American.

Sounds like they are still doing Smooth Jazz. I can access a remote SDR HF/VHF receiver out in Kittitas that gets a very weak 102.9 KFNY. They have no webstream, but their mix of smooth jazz/R&B (albeit very fuzzy) seems to be decent. Heard stuff by the late Joe Sample, Spencer Day's 'Til You Come to Me' and Fourplay/Ruben Studdard's cover of 'TKO' recently.

But doesn't SBS down in LA have a station called La Raza 97.9 (KLAX). Don't they have a national trademark on La Raza as a radio brand the way iHeart owns "Kiss" as a radio brand?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom