• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changes Coming To CBS News

Do people in the "money demos" still care who's anchoring the news, or has that aspect of tV gone the way of call letters with younger age groups? Or are only 55+ viewers watching network news these days, making attention to talking-head news readers still important to the execs?

None of it matters. They need the shows to air so they can sell the spots and fund the reporters. They can't attach spots to actuality clips. They need shows around them. The reason Glor is gone is because they need to have women in positions of power. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

Do people in the "money demos" still care who's anchoring the news, or has that aspect of tV gone the way of call letters with younger age groups? Or are only 55+ viewers watching network news these days, making attention to talking-head news readers still important to the execs?

Member of the Sacred Sales Demo here.
Having already decided to watch one of the evening newscasts, yes, the anchor is important in choosing one. But CBS changing anchors will inspire no one to become a regular viewer who was not already watching one of the evening news programs (or maybe one of the cable newsers).

Yes, as to the question if 55+ viewers are watching. I am certain they are. But we are still in an era where younger viewers are exposed to these programs, and while viewership is perhaps down in the 25-49 demo, it still exists, and that is why these newscasts still exist, pure and simple.

Just my $.02... I hope these changes aren’t a sign that CBS News is veering too far from its current editorial slant. I actually think CBS has been one of the more even-handed U.S.-based outlets in recent years. I know, some conservatives will probably chuckle at that, and certainly no one will confuse them for Fox News. But I do feel like they’ve at least done a better job than ABC/NBC/CNN of letting both sides be heard, and realizing they have heartland viewers whose views don’t necessarily align with the NY/DC media bubble.

Hopefully they don’t veer too far from that, though some of the language I’m reading from them concerns me a bit.

I must be in the minority re: Muir. Jeff Glor is a trainwreck. The 60 second Eyeopener/News for People with Poor Attention Spans is also a trainwreck to watch. WHYY??? How many teenagers watch the evening news? They've done the 90 second version on CBS This Morning for years now.

For whatever you think of people with "short attention spans", surprisingly the Eye Opener on CBS Mornings has huge numbers. They even feature it as a morning video podcast that also does huge numbers. The problem seems to be, that viewers stick around to watch the Eye Opener, tune out, then head off to work and their lives right after.

With the new sets and format, CBS positioned their morning news to be less fluff, more hard news. This, going up against The Today show which was going more, and continues to go more, lifestyle.

It seems that modern viewers don't tune into a morning show for hard news. For those that do, it's to a cable news channel like CNN or HLN, where you can get headlines on the fly and be out the door.

Keep in mind that overall, the cable news channel viewer numbers are still a drop in the bucket as compared with the big four network newscasts. 3,000,000-4,000,000 average viewers for the Networks as compared to 300,000 for cable.

Last edited:
John Dickerson needs to go back to Face The Nation. Margaret Brennan seems uncomfortable in that chair. though maybe she will grow into it.

Honestly, Jeff Glor probably would have fit better on CTM so that viewers could get familiar with him. I've heard some many people say, "Jeff Glor?!? Who the heck is he?" He's really not bad, but just not any sort of recognized name.

I love CTM...I hope the new team gels well. The Gayle/Anthony/Tony pairing just doesn't feel right to me, but we shall see. I predict that, if Glor stays with CBS, he will eventually get thrown into the CTM mix for either Anthony or Tony.

John Dickerson needs to go back to Face The Nation. Margaret Brennan seems uncomfortable in that chair. though maybe she will grow into it.

Then that would be a demotion for Dickerson, no doubt including a salary cut. CBS would have to continue paying him what he makes on CTM or get sued for violation of Dickerson's contract.

Remember, a show like Face The Nation is still considered Public Affairs programming. By comparison with a daytime morning show, the networks don't make much money off Sunday AM PA shows.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/john-dickerson-cbs-evening-news-1203210797/

John Dickerson has been named to do fill ins at CBS Evening News.

John Dickerson will fill in for a week on “CBS Evening News” after current anchor Jeff Glor steps down following this evening’s broadcast, CBS News President Susan Zirinsky told Variety in a brief interview.

Glor will leave “Evening News” after anchoring this evening’s show, and will be replaced by Norah O’Donnell sometime this summer. CBS News expects to use a rotating series of anchors to staff the broadcast until O’Donnell takes over, Zirinsky said.

CBS News announced earlier this week it would overhaul its weekday talent lineup, unveiling new teams for both “CBS This Morning” and “CBS Evening News.” Both programs have seen ratings slump in recent months following changes in their anchor lineups. At “Evening News,” Glor succeeded Scott Pelley and an interim stint by Anthony Mason. At “CBS This Morning,” executives brought John Dickerson and Bianna Golodryga to join Gayle King and O’Donnell following the ouster of previous co-host Charlie Rose following allegations by women he made unwanted sexual advances. Rose has denied the allegations.

It doesn't say if he'll anchor from NY or DC. I imagine he'll stay in the NY studio that Glor used, while they build something in DC. But John was born & raised in DC, so he can certainly fill in from there. For those who don't know, he's the son of journalist Nancy Dickerson.

Not according to CBS or him. CBS says they are trying to reach an agreement with Glor. In a statement on Monday, new CBS News president Susan Zirinzky said, “We are discussing opportunities for Jeff to remain with CBS News and continue providing the same substantive, trusted reporting that he has been offering for the past 12 years.”

Glor says:

A note from @jeffglor: "I'd like to think we're all guided by something bigger than one moment and one broadcast. I have always wanted to do work that matters and still do. That is something that will never change."

Unlike many on-air individuals, Jeff Glor seems to remember he reports the news and not
IS the news. The fact that he's been with CBS for 12 years and doesn't have,
nor seems to want stardom, speaks volumes about the man and his beliefs.......

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steve-kroft-retire-60-minutes-1211628

Steve Kroft to retire from 60 Minutes

The show's longest-tenured correspondent is known for his incisive interviews and impactful investigations. But he admits, "I'm not easy."
Steve Kroft, the longest-tenured 60 Minutes correspondent, will retire at the end of his 30th season on the iconic newsmagazine. His last piece — about what could be the biggest money laundering scheme ever — will air Sunday on the show’s 51st season finale. Kroft, 73, will announce his plan to step down at the conclusion of the broadcast. In September, 60 Minutes will air a retrospective of Kroft’s 50-year career in journalism.

Kroft's exit comes in the wake of a difficult period for CBS News and 60 Minutes. The show and the news division overall were under intense scrutiny for nearly two years following the ouster of Charlie Rose in November 2017, amid widespread misconduct claims, and culminating last September with the exit of longtime executive producer Jeff Fager. But the ascension of Susan Zirinsky to president of the division and the February appointment of 60 Minutes executive Bill Owens to succeed Fager lifted a cloud of anxiety. Kroft's decision to leave the show now, at the relatively tender age of 73, is notable for a show known for the longevity of its correspondent corps. Mike Wallace was nearly 90 when he filed his last piece, a 2008 interview with Roger Clemens. Morley Safer was 84 when he retired in 2016. Lesley Stahl, 77, who joined 60 Minutes in 1991, now becomes the show's longest-serving correspondent. But Kroft also has slowed down in recent years, filing approximately eight to ten pieces a season for the past two seasons. And those who know him say he has been talking about retiring for some time.

Alas, CBS’s refreshed morning show is not all that refreshing. Aside from the anchor shuffle, changes include a new color scheme, a bold font for the news ticker, and a schizophrenic brand that oscillates between “CBS This Morning” and “CTM”—an apparent attempt to imitate the success of “GMA.” Unfortunately, the new crinkle-cut CBS Eye unwittingly symbolizes something shredded. None of the foregoing tweaks has made the program more watchable. CBS will probably continue staring at the tailpipes of ABC and NBC.

Well, the new look for CBS Evening News will show up at some point, but the question is at what point? Do they wait 'til the traditional new season (early September), or do they jump into it earlier? My guess is they will go early. The days of big September premieres seem to be over. Just move on CBS...do what you need to do and show us!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom