• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

USC Sports to move its broadcasts to KABC 790

At least they are not putting the football games on KUSC :)

Meant that sarcastically. But here is a question. KUSC is a non-comm. Does that mean they cannot put KABC on an HD-2?

If they did, they'd have to cover the commercials. Ain't gonna happen.

KXSC isn't even licensed... it's Part 15.

Yes I know. This is in the context of the question about KUSC. If the school wanted to run the games on a sub of KUSC, they could carry the student broadcasts from KXSC. However, TTBOMK, there are no HD-2s on KUSC.

Yes I know. This is in the context of the question about KUSC. If the school wanted to run the games on a sub of KUSC, they could carry the student broadcasts from KXSC. However, TTBOMK, there are no HD-2s on KUSC.

Keep in mind that the multimedia rights to USC sports (and the LA Coliseum) is owned by Fox Sports College Properties. That includes the radio network for football and men's basketball.

This is about sponsorship money, and the school wanting its flagship to have no other sports conflicts. Giving the student broadcast a bigger venue isn't on the athletic department's radar.

And since USC is a hot mess that likes lighting money on fire because it can, Cumulus is more than happy to take the deal! I'm presuming this is the usual college sports deal where the network buys the time from the flagship and sells its own inventory.

Maybe this has been answered already, but did KABC also get the streaming rights? If so, that would negate their weak signal. As a recent transplant to PA, I wanted to listen to the Dodgers World Series games. The local AM ESPN affiliate was practically unlistenable. I downloaded the ESPN app and was able to hear the games crystal clear. If KABC can also stream the games on their app, which sounds pretty good, then this would be a win-win for both parties.

TuneIn carries home and away broadcasts of all Pac-12 teams, unless it's carried by ESPN Radio. If ESPN Radio broadcasts the game, TuneIn will only carry the national feed.

It's about the only thing that the conference that thinks its a media company gets right.

LA Times sports columnist Tom Hoffarth weighs in on the USC/KABC deal:

USC’s distressed decision to partner up with chatter-based KABC-AM (790) for the next five years on football and basketball broadcasts, following a 12-year run attached to all-sports KSPN-AM (710), must prove that misery needs company.

KABC, part of a depleted media company coming out of bankruptcy, pushing 6,800 watts and on par in the L.A. ratings at 0.5 with Persian language KIRN-AM (670), is the same station the NHL’s Kings blew off after a four-year relationship, deciding it was better off broadcasting games over a phone app.

If this were a Monopoly board, the Trojans just slid their thimble piece onto Marvin Gardens and act as if they were laying rebar and concrete on Park Place. KSPN management is said to be openly pleased the lease came up with the subprime tenants who weren’t keeping up with fellow tenants such as the Lakers and Rams.

Sure, USC has no more air-time conflicts and can boast that it will “the main sports property for KABC.” That’s like if Baskin-Robbins suddenly started offering Coors Light.

Ouch.

I wasn't aware the LA Kings were still in business. Didn't Gretsky once play for them?

They've won two Stanley Cups since Gretzky, zero when he was with the club. But only the Lakers and Dodgers really matter in that city, and it's been that way for a long time. That LA now has two NFL teams is a huge joke.

LA Times sports columnist Tom Hoffarth weighs in on the USC/KABC deal:

...If this were a Monopoly board, the Trojans just slid their thimble piece onto Marvin Gardens and act as if they were laying rebar and concrete on Park Place. KSPN management is said to be openly pleased the lease came up with the subprime tenants who weren’t keeping up with fellow tenants such as the Lakers and Rams...

Ouch.

The Monopoly analogy is spot-on. USC thinks they're still driving a Ferrari, when in reality they have a Ferrari emblem pasted on a rusted-out Mitsubishi.

They've won two Stanley Cups since Gretzky, zero when he was with the club. But only the Lakers and Dodgers really matter in that city, and it's been that way for a long time. That LA now has two NFL teams is a huge joke.

LA Kings matter a lot in this household. I predicted the 2012 team would win the Stanley Cup a month before the playoffs started and enjoyed immensely the run to their first Stanley Cup. If only I had put my money where my mouth was at the time. We would have watched the Kings this year except that they were unwatchable.

https://news.radio-online.com/artic...-Skyview-Networks-Partner-for-Trojan-Football

FOX Sports inks a partnership with Skyview Networks for University of Southern California's (USC) football and men's basketball broadcasts beginning this season. After partnering with southern California flagship KABC-AM, FOX Sports is working to increase the Trojans' broadcast footprint beyond the West Coast. Skyview Networks' receivers are built with the newest broadcast tech, including record and store features and copy-split insertion, allowing multiple versions of an advertisement to run across a network at the same time.

"We are excited to enhance the Trojans Radio Network by partnering with Skyview Networks. Skyview will help USC improve the broadcast quality for network affiliates by offering a new level of technology for distribution," said USC Sports Properties and Fox Sports College Properties VP/GM Drew DeHart.

Fox Sports and Skyview have an agreement to air USC Sports along with KABC-AM.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom