Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The F-Bomb is Now OK

Quote Originally Posted by Don CT View Post
    Isn't live sports exempt from the indecency rules?
    I have a feeling it is, because the announcers often joke about what the player just mouthed.

Quote Originally Posted by Don CT View Post
    Isn't live sports exempt from the indecency rules?
    I'm not aware of any such exemption. Just because stations don't get fined doesn't mean it's not against the law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleeting_expletive

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    I'm not aware of any such exemption. Just because stations don't get fined doesn't mean it's not against the law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleeting_expletive

But if the expletive is unheard, can a penalty be imposed under any circumstances? Suppose a weather presenter drops his/her clicker, knows he/she's not supposed to swear on air, but mouths "s---" while bending down to pick up the device. Is a station going to be fined for that?

The whole thing is BS. "The children, the children, the children ... we must protect the children." From what? Protect ME from these latter-day Pharisees, sanctimonious hypocritical prudes, the whole lot.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    Is a station going to be fined for that?
    It's why you spend money on lawyers and why there are courts. It's up to them to decide based on the facts.

The law, as evidenced by my linked article, is vague and subject to interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by kevtronics View Post
    Presidential candidate Beto O'Rourke already dropped an F-bomb on live TV last year during his senate campaign concession speech:

http://time.com/5447290/beto-orourke-f-word-speech/
    Many stations local stations in Texas ran this live at least one unedited https://www.kvia.com/news/abc-7-list...e-tv/857475544 but it happen after 10pm where stations wouldn't get in trouble with the FCC.

I thought this issue was resolved some time ago. I remember in the early 2000s (post-Bono incident IIRC), local Rock stations playing the uncensored versions of songs nearly all hours of the day, and never getting fined for it to my knowledge. After the Janet Jackson incident, the stations backed off, out of an abundance of caution, and because the words were still generally deemed by community standards to be unsuitable for broadcast (and potentially advertiser kryptonite).

But my understanding was that, after the Bono ruling, the words themselves wouldn’t cause a fine, just if they were used in a context that was considered profane or obscene.

Quote Originally Posted by grey_dan View Post

But my understanding was that, after the Bono ruling, the words themselves wouldn?€™t cause a fine, just if they were used in a context that was considered profane or obscene.
    None of the individual circumstances have changed the one major factor whether the Commission takes action: 'Public Response'. Back in the 80's and 90's a group of Anita Bryant followers used to regularly flood the FCC with angry form letters and E-mail each time their group deemed something profane or unacceptable. The letters would frequently site chapter and verse on how some expletive or (what could be deemed) as sexually-related scene or show premise violated Indecency Rules. In many instances the Commission had no other recourse than to issue a Notice of Liability to many of the stations who ultimately aired the content.

Fast forward to 2019; many of those similar groups now live on line, paying less attention to the chore rallying the troops to issue complaints about broadcast-related events.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    There is no delay that is fool proof. The way to prevent it is to not use this language near a live mic. For some reason people in the halls of government don't understand this. Yet they're quick to levy a major fine on someone when it serves their interest. The party in power is acting like there are no consequences. There are consequences for everything. That's the point of this thread.
    Got a point there.....Cant be perfect listening to every second of whats coming out of the monitor speaker or headphones and push the bleep button.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    Surely the FCC isn't fining broadcasters over those incidents! Many times on baseball and football reaction shots, you'll see quarterback reactions to interceptions and pitcher reactions to home runs that consist of one inaudible, but clearly understandable, word -- even to those of us who are neither deaf or trained lip-readers. It's invariably the f or the s bomb. We recognize it because it's the way an overwhelming percentage of sports viewers react when bad things happen.
    Yes I agree.Yell and curse at the TV set as something went wrong.Maybe the TV will get smashed by the end of the game. Watched friends do it all the time since I'm not into the sports these days...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234