Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YouTube Inks Deal To Stream MLB Games

YouTube Inks Deal To Stream MLB Games

https://www.mediapost.com/publicatio...mlb-games.html

YouTube has inked a deal with Major League Baseball too exclusively stream 13 live MLB games during the second half of the 2019 season.

The 13-game package will stream on the MLB channel on YouTube platforms globally. The games are exclusive to the platform in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.

The games will include pre- and post-game shows, and will be produced by MLB Network. The exact match-ups and dates will be announced in the coming weeks.

13 games will broadcast on Youtube.

Hmmm. I assume they mean YouTube TV, which is a subscription package offered by YouTube. This seems to be different from the MLB streaming package, which makes the local broadcast available outside the local area. What do they mean when they say "produced by MLB Network." Does that mean packaged by MLB, they way they repackage local play by play on their channel? Or doing their own unique play by play as they do Friday night with Bob Costas?

I assume this is complementary to their package of games carried on Facebook. The games will be removed from the RSNs, and aired exclusively on YouTube (presumably outside the YouTube TV paywall, since that is not mentioned in the article).

The games are probably being produced by MLB network so that YouTube doesn't have to find talent for such a small package. One criticism of the Facebook games last year was the inexperienced announcing and camera crews.
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

Quote Originally Posted by PTBoardOp94 View Post
    I assume this is complementary to their package of games carried on Facebook. The games will be removed from the RSNs, and aired exclusively on YouTube
    So they will be blacked out from viewers who pay extra for a RSN (such as YES), or Extra Innings, or the MLB streaming package?

That doesn't seem fair.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Hmmm. I assume they mean YouTube TV, which is a subscription package offered by YouTube.
    YouTube TV already carries the MLB Network, which broadcasts at least one game seven days a week. This doesn't seem to have anything to do with YouTube TV; it's just plain old YouTube, available to anyone with an internet-connected device.

Presuming that the games are available for free on YouTube (as the Facebook games are), no reason to feel gypped. If it did require a YouTubeTV subscription, that would rightfully annoy folks.

Either way, Fox Sports North is probably annoyed because they wanted to get revenue from that Tuesday night Twins-Royals game.
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

So they will be blacked out from viewers who pay extra for a RSN (such as YES), or Extra Innings, or the MLB streaming package?

That doesn't seem fair.
    The only aggrieved viewers will be those who have a cable or satellite TV setup but, for whatever reason, don't own a computer, smart phone or any other internet-capable device. Probably not enough of these odd semi-Luddites tor MLB to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by PTBoardOp94 View Post
    Presuming that the games are available for free on YouTube (as the Facebook games are), no reason to feel gypped.
    If you pay a price for something, and get fewer games as part of that package after you've paid for it, you are getting gypped, regardless if they're free on some other service.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    The only aggrieved viewers will be those who have a cable or satellite TV setup but, for whatever reason, don't own a computer, smart phone or any other internet-capable device. Probably not enough of these odd semi-Luddites tor MLB to worry about.
    What it requires is either a smart TV or an outside internet box such as FireTV or similar converter so you can watch on the same TV that has cable or satellite. I'd say that's a much bigger number. Watching baseball on the phone isn't the same as a 55 inch HDTV.

If you pay a price for something, and get fewer games as part of that package after you've paid for it, you are getting gypped, regardless if they're free on some other service.
    Games get moved from RSNs to network TV all the time. It's no big deal. Fans just find the game on the other outlet and don't think about the nickels and dimes they're losing by the game not being on the RSN. Extra Innings has never provided a full lineup of games because games carried by ESPN and FS1 are exclusive to those networks. Again, the EI subscribers who want to watch those particular out-of-market games will just flip to ESPN or FS1 and see the games, not caring one bit that their EI subsciption just lost 1/162nd of its perceived value.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast