• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changes coming to 92.1?

Even though Puro Tejano said it’s coming back for a few hours Monday -Friday on a full fm station . I think it might be on 92.1 since Daniel M us being offered a station presumible from Urban 1

Might I add they just said LA NUEVA NOVENTA Y DOS . Uno Radio now

Maybe just doing the same like Hot 95.7 used to do.

Even though Puro Tejano said it’s coming back for a few hours Monday -Friday on a full fm station . I think it might be on 92.1 since Daniel M us being offered a station presumible from Urban 1

Urban One is not going to do Tejano. They tried regional Mexican and failed in what is the broadest-appeal format in Spanish. They surely are not going to take a format that just failed in the Tejano capital of the Universe, San Antonio (KXTN) and put it on in a market where the Tejano population is much, much smaller and where the 92.1 signal is a deficient rimshot.

Urban One is not going to do Tejano. They tried regional Mexican and failed in what is the broadest-appeal format in Spanish. They surely are not going to take a format that just failed in the Tejano capital of the Universe, San Antonio (KXTN) and put it on in a market where the Tejano population is much, much smaller and where the 92.1 signal is a deficient rimshot.

That’s not what I said, I said Daniel is being offered a full FM station for lease. So if he leases it URBAN ONE would get the money they want. They wouldn’t worry about ratings or anything just the money. And if they charge Daniel for 3 hours a day during Monday-Friday that’s all it matters to them.

Urban One is not going to do Tejano. They tried regional Mexican and failed in what is the broadest-appeal format in Spanish.

I wonder what went wrong? I knew a couple of people that worked there and I always got the sense that there was some form of friction within the cluster.

They surely are not going to take a format that just failed in the Tejano capital of the Universe, San Antonio (KXTN) and put it on in a market where the Tejano population is much, much smaller and where the 92.1 signal is a deficient rimshot.
I was told by an Hispanic buddy in Austin that the Tejano format in San Antonio just grew stale. For the longest of time, Univision was reluctant to try new music. Of course, most major labels weren't signing and pushing new artists as well. When they finally decided to try independent artists + new music, it was too late for KXTN.

Univision was just milking Tejano until the well went completely dry, which is sad. It's a format native to Texas and the only Spanish language format born in the continental US. I've always wondered what would have happened to Tejano had they adapted to speaking Spanish on the air? Seems like speaking English on-air alienated many of the Spanish speaking immigrants to come here in the 90s and 00s.

I wonder what went wrong? I knew a couple of people that worked there and I always got the sense that there was some form of friction within the cluster.

There was a culture clash, as the sellers could not deal with a Spanish language station and there was not a lot of teamwork in the building. But one of the biggest issues was the inadequate signal.

I was told by an Hispanic buddy in Austin that the Tejano format in San Antonio just grew stale. For the longest of time, Univision was reluctant to try new music. Of course, most major labels weren't signing and pushing new artists as well. When they finally decided to try independent artists + new music, it was too late for KXTN.

The format did not grow stale. The record companies did not produce new material, as the average Tejano fan was aging and no longer bought music. And for radio, a very old demo meant lower sales each year.

Univision was just milking Tejano until the well went completely dry, which is sad. It's a format native to Texas and the only Spanish language format born in the continental US.

Actually, there are a number of Spanish language formats born in the USA. The all-salsa tropical format was born in 1979 at WZNT. The Spanish Adult Hits format was born in LA at KRCD in 2000. The Spanish AC format was born in LA in 1995 at KLVE.

I've always wondered what would have happened to Tejano had they adapted to speaking Spanish on the air? Seems like speaking English on-air alienated many of the Spanish speaking immigrants to come here in the 90s and 00s.

Spanish speaking immigrants have never had any significant interest in Tejano; it is not a part of their cultural heritage.

That’s not what I said, I said Daniel is being offered a full FM station for lease. So if he leases it URBAN ONE would get the money they want. They wouldn’t worry about ratings or anything just the money. And if they charge Daniel for 3 hours a day during Monday-Friday that’s all it matters to them.

Do you have any idea what the LMA cost for a station like that might be? My guess is upwards of $100,000 a month. And no larger signal FM is going to lease out blocks of time. It's going to be "all or nothing".

And KROI is not a "full FM station". It is a rimshot. That's been its downfall in every format since it dropped classical.

Change is coming for 92.1, but it will be the result of a sale. I have the strong feeling that Urban One is tired of spinning the format wheel on this turkey.

"If" signal penetration is the problem for KROI, move the tower north to Houston. An FCC search (radius 250 KM) shows the nearest station on FM 92.1 is KYLR at 2.5 KW just east of Round Rock in Hutto. FCC search link = https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/...&EW=W&size=9&NextTab=Results+to+Next+Page/Tab
Something tells me that Urban One has considered this and declined the option.

There is no option to "decline". A station has to protect its first adjacent and second adjacent channels per very precise FCC rules. 92.1 is at the closest location to Houston that it can be at... moving any farther north, if possible, would require a reduction in power... so no gain.

Well the guy works for Urban one in other states, he is a program director. Go to his page and you’ll see all the proof you ask for.

Whose page? Who is the "guy"?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom