• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Article: "The Low Fi Voices that Speak for America"

DavidEduardo

Moderator/Administrator
Staff member
I just found this article: https://www.politico.com/interactives/2019/magazine-am-radio-still-matters/

It says, "Even in decline, AM radio matters more than you might think. A photo and audio tour of the hosts driving the conversation."

There are profiles of a half dozen stations and their personalities, from Baltimore to the Four Corners. A very interesting read and a demonstration that stations can succeed if they offer something unique.

When I first saw the title, I thought it was going to be an article only about conservative talk radio. Thankfully its more than that. I'm very familiar with a few of these stations, including KTNN in Arizona. Because the station is on an Indian reservation, considered to be a sovereign state, they have an interesting relationship with the FCC. When you consider the diversity of ownership these stations represent, one wonders why Congress felt the need to create LPFMs. The one thing all of these stations have in common is passionate people who feel a personal responsibility to their audience. That's why we all do what we do.

When you consider the diversity of ownership these stations represent, one wonders why Congress felt the need to create LPFMs. The one thing all of these stations have in common is passionate people who feel a personal responsibility to their audience. That's why we all do what we do.

Cost of entry? It's a lot less expensive to build an LPFM than acquire a commercial CP, site it, build it and then pay commercial rates instead of non profit rates for things like music licensing.

When I first saw the title, I thought it was going to be an article only about conservative talk radio. Thankfully its more than that. I'm very familiar with a few of these stations, including KTNN in Arizona. Because the station is on an Indian reservation, considered to be a sovereign state, they have an interesting relationship with the FCC. When you consider the diversity of ownership these stations represent, one wonders why Congress felt the need to create LPFMs. The one thing all of these stations have in common is passionate people who feel a personal responsibility to their audience. That's why we all do what we do.

Even the bottom feeders who buy once-live-and-local AMs and turn them into dollar-a-holler infomercials, preaching or, in the case of WILD Boston, 24/7 relays of the Chinese government's international radio voice?

We were having an interesting discussion on Saturday, and it turned out that both us enjoy listening to KTNN on an irregular basis.

Even the bottom feeders who buy once-live-and-local AMs and turn them into dollar-a-holler infomercials, preaching or, in the case of WILD Boston, 24/7 relays of the Chinese government's international radio voice?

I think I was referring specifically to the stations in the article.

So the "we all" in your remark didn't mean "everyone in radio"? Sorry, I guess, but gee, I fail to see how it could have been interpreted any other way.

I can't speak for "everyone in radio." I read an article and saw a commonality to the stations in that article. That's where my comment begins and ends.

Maybe next time I'll list all the exceptions, of which there are many, including the ones you mention.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom