• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Announcers, Hosts, Bach Jox, et alia

Rich Caparella(?) of KUSC. Classics with just a touch of humor (and not of the Giuseppe Verdi - Joe Green variety).

Rich Caparella(?) of KUSC. Classics with just a touch of humor (and not of the Giuseppe Verdi - Joe Green variety).

I see your reference to Preston Trombley there! He probably wasn't the first to make that observation, but he certainly makes it a lot. Sometimes, though, he comes up with one that hasn't been worn out -- although I admit that I don't listen to his whole SiriusXM show every day and I wasn't living within listening range when he was on WQXR. I do remember a year or so ago when he prefaced a work for two pianos by Muzio Clementi by speculating that Clementi, a piano manufacturer and dealer, had written it mainly to improve his sales. I'm sure he's told that one more than a few times as well, but I haven't heard it since and I kind of liked it.

Most of the classical announcers I listen to are pretty bland. John Nowacki on WFCR provides a lot of information on the musicians, singers and composers he features in his daily birthday musical salutes, but too often it sounds as if he's reading from Wikipedia. Walter Parker on the Vermont Public Radio classical network plays recordings by performers due to appear at Vermont concert venues during the week and does the same sort of thing. Still, if you're not overly familiar with such details, that is far preferable to the "That was Vivaldi. In a minute, some Brahms, but first a reminder about Sunday's Metropolitan Opera broadcast..." prattle that's pretty much generic in classical radio.

Last edited:

I see your reference to Preston Trombley there! He probably wasn't the first to make that observation, but he certainly makes it a lot. Sometimes, though, he comes up with one that hasn't been worn out -- although I admit that I don't listen to his whole SiriusXM show every day and I wasn't living within listening range when he was on WQXR. I do remember a year or so ago when he prefaced a work for two pianos by Muzio Clementi by speculating that Clementi, a piano manufacturer and dealer, had written it mainly to improve his sales. I'm sure he's told that one more than a few times as well, but I haven't heard it since and I kind of liked it.

Most of the classical announcers I listen to are pretty bland. John Nowacki on WFCR provides a lot of information on the musicians, singers and composers he features in his daily birthday musical salutes, but too often it sounds as if he's reading from Wikipedia. Walter Parker on the Vermont Public Radio classical network plays recordings by performers due to appear at Vermont concert venues during the week and does the same sort of thing. Still, if you're not overly familiar with such details, that is far preferable to the "That was Vivaldi. In a minute, some Brahms, but first a reminder about Sunday's Metropolitan Opera broadcast..." prattle that's pretty much generic in classical radio.

Lloyd Moss was a wordsmith who possessed a subtle, sometimes risqué, sense of humor. Even traffic reports were laced with his wry wit. I cannot recall Mr. Moss’s ever making Joe Green-like remarks. Preston Trombly, on the other hand, relies on hackneyed jests or drollery, such as his introduction of Mozart’s Symphony No. 40: “It’s a bird, it’s a plane, no, it’s Mozart.”

Does anyone remember Karl Haas? According to The Washington Post, his syndicated show, “Adventures in Good Music,” was, for a time, the most popular classical radio program in the world. Mr. Haas, a musicologist, packed each thematic episode with a richness and depth of information seldom heard on the airwaves today. (His delivery was ne’er like a recitation of Wikipedia.) In addition, his clever program titles—e.g., “Rare and Well Done,” “The Thrill of the Trill,” “What’s Up, Bach?” and such—afforded the listener yet another bonus.

Does anyone remember Karl Haas?..."Adventures in Good Music”
Yes, his show was syndicated from WCLV in the "Mistake by the Lake", long before the station's owners made that "fishy" frequency swap with Salem.
A good modern-day equivalent show is the WFMT-WQXR co-production of Bill McGlaughlin's, Exploring Music.
I surely wish that the Sirius half of SiriusXM had not succeeded in dumping the show; I had a weeknight alarm set for them on XM Classics.
My new Radio-Discussions shortcut takes me directly to this child-board (sub-board).

Last edited:
Yes, his show was syndicated from WCLV in the "Mistake by the Lake", long before the station's owners made that "fishy" frequency swap with Salem.

It’s ironic that the once powerful WCLV has been relegated to a Class A signal that has practically severed Severance from its contour. Regardless, it distributed “Adventures in Good Music” to such august stations as WQXR, KUSC, WGMS, WRR, and many others. I last heard Mr. Haas’s program on WUSF.

...such august stations as...
This sub-board promises to teach me some vocabulary that I should know but do not...
like this one, more than just the eighth calendar month; even the accented syllable is different ;)

This sub-board promises to teach me some vocabulary that I should know but do not...
like this one, more than just the eighth calendar month; even the accented syllable is different ;)

The octo in October serves as a reminder that what is today the tenth month (in the Gregorian calendar) was once the eighth month (in the Roman calendar). Be that as it may, calling someone August (pronounced 'aʊ·gʊst) in German has a negative connotation owing to the circus clown character, der dummer August (“the dumb August”). For that reason, the American crime-drama series, “Dan August,” aired in Germany as “Dan Oakland.”

Last edited:
Nova means doesn't run in Spanish
and Citröen in English is obvious.
When the Pope visited Miami, a bach of shirts were made with the wrong gender of "the" which translated into "The Potato".

Returning to the topic of this thread, it would be remiss of me to disregard female announcers. One of my favorites is Clayelle Dalferes, whose mellifluous voice sounds every bit as pleasing on WQXR today as it did on WNCN decades ago.

Could I have been deceived, lied to, fooled?
Has my life have been transformed into a perpetuator of a lie?
I can only take some solice in knowing that Ike Eisenhower never tricked me into mispronouncing nuclear :)

Returning to the topic of this thread, it would be remiss of me to disregard female announcers.

Is there anyone who can disagree that WQXR’s loss was WFMT’s gain?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom