Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is anger about proposed tolls helping WTIC

Quote Originally Posted by WPPCProductions View Post
    Glad to see the CT toll petition with plus 100 thousand signatures hit the Governors desk.Or the round file basket in his office...
    Thanks goes out to WTIC for the push........

I always say full time sports/news format on FM are a waste but they will be fine on the stations digital channels.Or stay on AM.
    It's looking like the whole concept is going to have a hard time in Washington. Putting tolls on sections of Interstate highway that have never previously been toll roads has routinely been rejected by D.C. regulators, according to a recent Associated Press story. Connecticut wants to put them on I-91 and I-84, neither of which were toll roads when Connecticut last had tolls in the '80s. They were only on parts of I-95 and state Route 15.

As for your assertion about sports/news on FM, check the ratings out of Boston, where two sports stations are getting big ratings and billing very well. One of them used to be on AM, but, unlike WFAN New York, decided not to simulcast. The AM is now carrying satellite-fed ESPN Radio programming and who-cares play-by-play (in other words, all college sports, out-of-market pro games and local sports events that aren't the Red Sox, Patriots, Bruins or Celtics), getting the ridiculous Nielsen "participation trophy" phony-baloney 0.1 rating in most books.
    Last edited by CTListener; 05-22-2019 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    It's looking like the whole concept is going to have a hard time in Washington. Putting tolls on sections of Interstate highway that have never previously been toll roads has routinely been rejected by D.C. regulators, according to a recent Associated Press story. Connecticut wants to put them on I-91 and I-84, neither of which were toll roads when Connecticut last had tolls in the '80s. They were only on parts of I-95 and state Route 15.

As for your assertion about sports/news on FM, check the ratings out of Boston, where two sports stations are getting big ratings and billing very well. One of them used to be on AM, but, unlike WFAN New York, decided not to simulcast. The AM is now carrying satellite-fed ESPN Radio programming and who-cares play-by-play (in other words, all college sports, out-of-market pro games and local sports events that aren't the Red Sox, Patriots, Bruins or Celtics), getting the ridiculous Nielsen "participation trophy" phony-baloney 0.1 rating in most books.
    As long the FM sports stations are bringing in the cash and ratings. .Its fine with me. Not much a sports fan now. Fans probably enjoy their games in living stereo then monotone static AM radio....

On tolls .I do remember the Rt 95 and Rt 15 tolls back in the 1980's before they got rid of them...Also remember the bad accident pile ups they cause.I worked with a guy that lost his wife in the big I- 95 pile up.. I do like the new automated style toll collection system.I blame Washington DC as they short change the states in road funding and the state unions with their inflated benefit packages and retirements .

As long the FM sports stations are bringing in the cash and ratings. .Its fine with me. Not much a sports fan now. Fans probably enjoy their games in living stereo then monotone static AM radio....

On tolls .I do remember the Rt 95 and Rt 15 tolls back in the 1980's before they got rid of them...Also remember the bad accident pile ups they cause.I worked with a guy that lost his wife in the big I- 95 pile up.. I do like the new automated style toll collection system.I blame Washington DC as they short change the states in road funding and the state unions with their inflated benefit packages and retirements .
    They never should have gotten rid of the tolls we had. That accident in the 80's wasn't caused by the tolls, but was due to driver negligence. The roads in CT are horrible and it won't be long before another bridge collapses if we don't start doing something about our crumbling infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by trippefontaine1 View Post
    They never should have gotten rid of the tolls we had. That accident in the 80's wasn't caused by the tolls, but was due to driver negligence. The roads in CT are horrible and it won't be long before another bridge collapses if we don't start doing something about our crumbling infrastructure.
    Got a point there on crappy roads in this state .Also a point on poor maintenance on trucks and bad drivers.They probably got the Q bridge replaced just in time before the old one end up collapsing into the Q river.

Good question is where is all the money from the gas taxes going.We have a high gas tax here..It supposed too be for for the roads. I can see us getting screwed with the new tolls already before it happens.The money is going somewhere else...Poor management.....

So we get the tolls and drop the gas tax and the money goes to road repair.I'm fine with that.But for other uses .NOOOOO.........
    With the current climate in Hartford.Forget it.......

Got a point there on crappy roads in this state .Also a point on poor maintenance on trucks and bad drivers.They probably got the Q bridge replaced just in time before the old one end up collapsing into the Q river.

Good question is where is all the money from the gas taxes going.We have a high gas tax here..It supposed too be for for the roads. I can see us getting screwed with the new tolls already before it happens.The money is going somewhere else...Poor management.....

So we get the tolls and drop the gas tax and the money goes to road repair.I'm fine with that.But for other uses .NOOOOO.........
    With the current climate in Hartford.Forget it.......
    The money goes to lazy people who don't want to work for a living. That is only the tip of the iceberg, but it is the thing that makes me the angriest.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    This is wandering off into politics. As long as it was related to actual radio stations, it was OK but now we are in the area of road conditions and welfare payments. Time to close the thread.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12