Thread: Glen Clark, Radio Consulting Engineer, Has Passed Away

Glen Clark, Radio Consulting Engineer, Has Passed Away

Glen Clark, Radio Consulting Engineer, of New Castle, PA, has passed away. Glen designed some of the most complex AM Directional antennas in the nation, including those for WWJ, WXYT, WFDF, and WMVP in the Eastern Midwest over the last 20 years or so. Glen's signature was ultra dogleg arrays where the towers are not linearly arranged, many to achieve high power, particularly 50000 watt facilities, particularly on Class III/B Regional Channels previously limited to 5000 watts.

Other details were unknown at this time of this Obituary.

http://obituaries.sharonherald.com/obit ... 1074127892

Glen Clark, Radio Consulting Engineer, Has Passed Away

Glen Clark, Radio Consulting Engineer, of New Castle, PA, has passed away. Glen designed some of the most complex AM Directional antennas in the nation, including those for WWJ, WXYT, WFDF, and WMVP in the Eastern Midwest over the last 20 years or so. Glen's signature was ultra dogleg arrays where the towers are not linearly arranged, many to achieve high power, particularly 50000 watt facilities, particularly on Class III/B Regional Channels previously limited to 5000 watts.

Quote Originally Posted by Schroedingers Cat View Post

Link appears to be down at the moment......
    Didn't he also produce the prototype of what became the Texar Audio Prism?

From "I take pictures of transmitter sites" on Facebook:
    Written by Jim Davis:

"Broadcast engineering lost one of it's most brilliant minds last night (4-21-19) with the passing of Glen Clark (W3JL) who died just six weeks after being diagnosed with liver cancer. Glen is most famous for his invention of the Texar Audio Prism which found it's way into almost every FM station in America. Additionally, he was a highly successful directional antenna genius who was responsible for CBS getting 50kW in Detroit. He and I met at WDAI in Chicago in 1971, and he has remained one of my closest friends. Glen told me in his most recent conversation that he was ready to accept his passing and was looking forward to a better resting place. I will miss him, as will so many others. R.I.P. brother."

Glen Clark.jpg

We talked a few weeks ago on the telephone. After emailing a few times after that, I had emailed him and didn't hear back. We talked a bunch about WLS (AM), but didn't have any idea that he had made so many contributions there, having seen that he was CE at WLS-FM/WDAI on the History Card. Like the late great Larry Lujack, he ended up working for the competition. At the time he designed the new dogleg WCFL/WMVP array though, it was coowned more or less with WLS. He sent some of us radio geeks pictures taken during construction.

Pixar Audio Prism Story

https://www.thebdr.net/articles/audio/proc/AudioPrism.pdf

Glen's death comes just a week after another AM DA consulting engineer passed -- Ron Rackley.
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

Pixar should read Texar. Spell Check. That's probably what happened.