• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

98.1 // WZBR AM

This translator puts another hiphop/rnb station on FM however it doesnt even reach Dorchester. There is no sign of it on the expressway south of the tunnel. Is it really an asset when it doesnt reach Boston’s urban neighborhoods?

The audience for hip-hop/R&B has not just been confined to only Boston's urban neighborhoods for many years. I'm sure it would do a lot better if it reached Boston, but it could have some listeners in the lower North Shore and Mystic Valley cities/towns that it covers (Malden, Chelsea, Everett, Revere, Saugus, Lynn, etc...) if they find it. The AM covers the Boston urban neighborhoods in the daytime and a few of them at night (if any young people still listen to AM).

May or may not be accurate, via radio-locator
W251CR_FX_CU.gif

FCC info says tx at 146 Murray St (Glen Ridge nursing care center complex?) Medford

FCC info says tx at 146 Murray St (Glen Ridge nursing care center complex?) Medford

The same location as transmitters for 101.7 WBWL "The Bull", and the 105.3 FM translator for WUBG "Big 105.3", on the hill at the Malden/Medford line behind the nursing complex.

Last edited:
Really? I listen online, tits sounds like a live broadcast. With interviews, ads, call-ins and promo for events. Why put all that work in and play something else on air??

Hope you all are having a great day! There will be some MAJOR CHANGES soon! Check back right here shortly!

This just goes to show that for all the talk of what stations are "good", "the real deal", "best music", etc...the reality is that stations only operate as one big math problem.

If it can't sustain itself, then the programming doesn't matter.

Seems "The Bass of Boston" was doomed from the start. Time out now to rethink their business plan going forward.

My $.02. Your opinions may vary.

More likely WZBR struggles are due to it not covering any of the metro areas blackest neighborhoods and towns. They're missing at least 40% of their target audience. It also has a lot to do with being on the AM dial in 2019.
We already saw an Urban AC do very well.

It seems like an optimistic tone-we'll see what they do. I did notice that around the time of that post their morning show was gone for a day or two. They're all back now and nothing has changed online. *shrug*

More likely WZBR struggles are due to it not covering any of the metro areas blackest neighborhoods and towns. They're missing at least 40% of their target audience. It also has a lot to do with being on the AM dial in 2019.

This is just 2 elements that are part of the equation. Leasing a station for a music format is another. Unpaid staff is another. Advertising rates? programming quality is another.

Not surprising that in lean advertising months (like Summer typically can be) has led them to not be able to pay their bill to the station owner.

I think it’s advertising rates. And staff pay/retention. The programming quality is absurdly good and the morning show DJ has secured ‘bumps’ from the most major of artists. The playlists is too varied-it’s all good music but would isolate some listeners in their demographic because they play Urban from 1975-today.

Morning show is good not great but unoriginal. They’ve got the blunt guy, the wise mature woman and the goofy guy. We’ve seen it before.

They’re always glitch free except for today I think I accidentally heard 1-1.5 secondS of a commercial for the breakfast club morning show that was on WJMN.

I know they had Steve Harvey on their AM broadcast.

My guess is they try to consolidate and put on the Breakfast club on the FM dial to save money somehow.

More likely WZBR struggles are due to it not covering any of the metro areas blackest neighborhoods and towns.

It appears the "Bass of Boston" is off-air and only streaming?

What is on 1410AM and 98.1 now?

(I am not in the area, so someone wthin range can check?)

Is the former programming ever coming back?....is it over?

What does Alex Langer (the owner of the facility) have in store next?

Guess that the "Bass of Boston" couldn't pay it's bill to Langer?

It appears the "Bass of Boston" is off-air and only streaming?

It was “The Urban Heat”, no longer “The Bass of Boston”, for the last several months of the Urban format.

It’s now broadcasting recorded jazz music, which Langer has used as a fill format on the station before.

This evening the jazz was gone, and there was foreign language talk on WZBR 1410 AM/98.1 FM. Possibly Brazilian?

I couldn't tell whether it was a simulcast or rebroadcast of Langer's WSRO, Ashland 650 AM/102.1 FM which is (mostly) Brazilian, but Langer has also temporarily put that on WZBR in the past in addition to jazz.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom