• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KXOS Sold to Meruelo

DavidEduardo

Moderator/Administrator
Staff member
Staff heard announcement today.

That is KXOS with an "X". 93.9...

Format won't be Spanish language.

Two full signal class B FMs in just a few days!

Last edited:
I can see it now:
93.9 KDAY | KDAY-FM
Wonder what will get put on the twin 93.5s?

Will it be Classic Hip Hop KDAY? Or will it be something more compatible with KLOS?

As David points out, the LA market is more than half minority, so maybe Classic Hip Hop makes sense and goes well with Power 106. On the other hand, LA is the market with the best advertising revenue for radio. So maybe a more mainstream station will be considered.

It occurs to me that Power 106 never made the transition to being called Power 105 point 9, in our digital tuner world.

This means there is now a much greater chance 95.5 KLOS survives with a rock or classic rock format...good news for fans of rock music!!!

I agree with the prediction of KDAY moving from 93.5 MHz to 93.9 MHz.

Will it be Classic Hip Hop KDAY? Or will it be something more compatible with KLOS?

As David points out, the LA market is more than half minority, so maybe Classic Hip Hop makes sense and goes well with Power 106. On the other hand, LA is the market with the best advertising revenue for radio. So maybe a more mainstream station will be considered.

It occurs to me that Power 106 never made the transition to being called Power 105 point 9, in our digital tuner world.

If you look at it things today, the minority group in LA is non-Hispanic whites, at about 30% of the population.

There is no absolute majority, but with an over 45% Hispanic population, the new majority is quite obvious.

The stations that win in the future are the ones that appeal to multiple groups, lifestyles and ethnicities. To bring back an old The Beat positioner, "no color lines".

I can see it now:
93.9 KDAY | KDAY-FM
Wonder what will get put on the twin 93.5s?

I wonder if the 93.5 signals might be sold. I recall that about a decade ago, there was an offer by a Korean group... and they ended up leasing time on one of the brokered stations.

The 93.5 "thing" has been a boondoggle from day one. IF they do an LMA with Radio Korea (or some similar group) they could take it into a near-zero overhead mode and rake in the cash. Bottom line: 93.5 cannot compete with ANY big signal FM. It will always be relegated to the also-ran team.

The 93.5 "thing" has been a boondoggle from day one. IF they do an LMA with Radio Korea (or some similar group) they could take it into a near-zero overhead mode and rake in the cash. Bottom line: 93.5 cannot compete with ANY big signal FM. It will always be relegated to the also-ran team.

Paging David Eduardo.. what ethnic populations do the two 93.5's cover? Assume they both go to the same new owner, if they get sold.. i assume thanks to urban sprawl, big buildings and colliding with each other .. that their listenable in an average home or car isnt as good as those maps indicate.

what existing station on AM would benefit from having these fm signals? what new operator could come in and buy these?

Paging David Eduardo.. what ethnic populations do the two 93.5's cover? Assume they both go to the same new owner, if they get sold.. i assume thanks to urban sprawl, big buildings and colliding with each other .. that their listenable in an average home or car isnt as good as those maps indicate.

what existing station on AM would benefit from having these fm signals? what new operator could come in and buy these?

KDEY is, for general market ratings driven broadcasting, licensed to an area that is not rated. That area from the LA County line along the foothills from roughly Fontana to Rialto is not in the IE book or the LA book. The signal does cover pieces of the LA market and the IE market. The significant niche there is Mandarin speakers.

The LA signal is broadcast from Baldwin Hills, and offers pretty good coverage of much of the Black, African American and Korean populations, among others. It's not a very good signal for non-Hispanic whites, although it does cover the Westside and the coast from just north of Long Beach to Pacific Palisades fairly well.

My guess is that, based on coverage and the wealth of the market segments, Mandarin would be the best choice on both signals. If not, Korean on the LA signal and Mandarin on the IE area signal might work. Caveat: I have not looked closely at population data for Asian nationalities / heritage so this is more an impression than a conclusion.

KDEY is, for general market ratings driven broadcasting, licensed to an area that is not rated. That area from the LA County line along the foothills from roughly Fontana to Rialto is not in the IE book or the LA book. The signal does cover pieces of the LA market and the IE market. The significant niche there is Mandarin speakers.

The LA signal is broadcast from Baldwin Hills, and offers pretty good coverage of much of the Black, African American and Korean populations, among others. It's not a very good signal for non-Hispanic whites, although it does cover the Westside and the coast from just north of Long Beach to Pacific Palisades fairly well.

My guess is that, based on coverage and the wealth of the market segments, Mandarin would be the best choice on both signals. If not, Korean on the LA signal and Mandarin on the IE area signal might work. Caveat: I have not looked closely at population data for Asian nationalities / heritage so this is more an impression than a conclusion.

You're impression is good enough... i dont know much at all about LA.. im in Wyoming, so i was curious what one could do with limited signals

(BTw, I can hear several LA area AM's here in Wyoming most days at sunrise or sunset, and im talking beyond the usual KFI and KNX)

Ok I checked all the radio internet news sites and they say nothing about Alex buying KXOS. How can we confirm this? I usually go with radio insight but it also says nothing about this.

Ok I checked all the radio internet news sites and they say nothing about Alex buying KXOS. How can we confirm this? I usually go with radio insight but it also says nothing about this.

The staff has been told already.

I could see this coming. The KDAY format would be excellent on the 93.9 signal. That being said, I could see either Meruelo selling the 93.5 sticks to a foreign or religious broadcaster. Maybe EMF would want to add more LA coverage for its Air1 format?

Where did KXOS go wrong? It seems that GRC had invested considerably in beefing up on-air talent (stealing away Mandril and El Raton) and snagging away experienced vets from Univision and other radio companies in the past few years in an effort to reverse losses, but the audience never seemed to pop off...

Where did KXOS go wrong? It seems that GRC had invested considerably in beefing up on-air talent (stealing away Mandril and El Raton) and snagging away experienced vets from Univision and other radio companies in the past few years in an effort to reverse losses, but the audience never seemed to pop off...

They just never developed a whole station that was better than the other stations. The morning show was given too much authority over its own operation, and did not follow PPM programming strategies. The music was not different or better and the talent on the other shifts was not superior to that on other regional Mexican stations.

There was also, throughout the GRC ownership, the feeling that "we are from Mexico City and we know how to do radio right" which may be true in CDMX but not in US Hispanic markets where they proved they did not know very much at all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom