• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Sound is officially a Contender....

KSWD is up to #3 overall. That's its best rating since the format flip from Country to Soft AC.

It must be a dream come true for Entercom Seattle..and for Delilah. Here we had a legendary country station (KMPS) which was doing OK in the ratings, mid 3's, upper 3's. Then they flip to Christmas, we smell a format flip coming, it comes BEFORE Christmas 2017, 'welcome to the new 94.1 the Sound...relaxing favorites at work.' Most of Seattle laughs, goes to Facebook in anger for getting rid of KMPS, and says it won't last.
BOY, WERE THEY WRONG! The station that spins George Michael, Cheryl Lynn, Chicago and Michael Bolton is ranked higher than ANY FM music station in Seattle minus Movin' 92.5. Incredible!!!!

In other news, KRWM also got a massive jump tied for 4th. I know they have also tweaked older because they were left in the dust by KSWD's romp through the PPM. Well, except the Dec/Holiday books. KZOK and KIRO tied with them.
Fantastic month for 100.7, but we'll see what F-I-T-with a Z! will do to 'K Nyuk'. Even 106.1 got a well-deserved jump in the ratings, as they finally premiered a morning show to replace Bender.
Losers this month - 103.7 and 93.3. Awful ratings. Even 101.5 looks bad. And yet relaxing favorites at work at 94.1, and the placeholder South Sound Smooth Jazz (also relaxing at work) couldn't get a 1.0 even if the trust wanted to.

BTW, I wonder how many stores have 94.1 piped into their stereo systems? Probably thousands at this point, and probably some of the same stores that used to pipe in KJR or Q104.5.

Most of Seattle laughs, goes to Facebook in anger for getting rid of KMPS, and says it won't last.
BOY, WERE THEY WRONG! The station that spins George Michael, Cheryl Lynn, Chicago and Michael Bolton is ranked higher than ANY FM music station in Seattle minus Movin' 92.5. Incredible!!!!

The goal in radio isn't to get great ratings. The goal is to convert great ratings to money. I still haven't seen any facts that tell me this station is making more money than stations that target younger listeners. If anyone has any documented information, I'm all ears.

The goal in radio isn't to get great ratings. The goal is to convert great ratings to money. I still haven't seen any facts that tell me this station is making more money than stations that target younger listeners. If anyone has any documented information, I'm all ears.

The data out of Seattle shows that KSWD did not miss a single step, billing as much as a soft AC in 2018 as it had as a country station in 2016-2017. Right outta' the box it tied with Warm in revenue.

Looking at a station with more history, take WDUV in Tampa. It switched from easy listening to soft AC, and revenues are up more than 50%. It went from 15th in billings to around 3ed.

Which means KSWD is catering towards the 55+ crowd. But the way they are billing, it doesn't seem like an 'old geezer' station to me...I wish there were ratings for JUST 45-54, or 35-54. They must be gathering up some fantastic ratings with the upper demo 45-55, but we don't know. But besides that fact...#3!! Three!!

Which means KSWD is catering towards the 55+ crowd. But the way they are billing, it doesn't seem like an 'old geezer' station to me...I wish there were ratings for JUST 45-54, or 35-54. They must be gathering up some fantastic ratings with the upper demo 45-55, but we don't know. But besides that fact...#3!! Three!!

Based on the last 3 "real" books of 2018, KSWD was 7th in 25-54 and 2nd in 25-54 women. That is definitely going to get them on lots of buys. They were 1st in 35-44 women in that period, too.

So, in other words, the unorthodox gamble by IHeart looks as if it is starting to pay off? Very interesting.

Entercom and iHeart have both invested in the format. Entercom in Seattle and Detroit, iHeart in Chicago, San Francisco, Philadelphia and Sacramento. Cox has three station playing Soft AC, all in Florida: Miami, Tampa and Jacksonville. In Miami and Tampa, it's #1.

Entercom and iHeart have both invested in the format. Entercom in Seattle and Detroit, iHeart in Chicago, San Francisco, Philadelphia and Sacramento. Cox has three station playing Soft AC, all in Florida: Miami, Tampa and Jacksonville. In Miami and Tampa, it's #1.

Thanks, Gregg. We out here in the sticks don't get that information until the Pony Express brings it.

And, importantly, in Miami and Tampa the stations are often #1 in 25-54 and if not at the very top, right next to it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom