Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Cumulus Trades WEBE + WICC to Connoisseur

  1. #1

    Cumulus Trades WEBE + WICC to Connoisseur

    WEBE 107.9 Westport and WICC 600 Bridgeport will go from Cumulus Media to Connoisseur Media
    in exchange for four stations plus a translator in the Allentown, PA area:

    WODE-FM 99.9 The Hawk (Classic Rock);
    WWYY-FM 107.1/translator W234AX 94.7 Spin Radio The Valley's Alternative;
    WEEX-AM 1230/WTKZ-AM 1320 Fox Sports Radio

    LMAs to begin on May 1, 2019.

    Connoisseur Media press release:

    https://connoisseurmedia.com/connois...cumulus-media/
    Last edited by pjc1961; 04-15-2019 at 09:13 PM.

  2. #2
    What will happen to Star 99.9, would its owners flip it to either country or classic hits so in order to avoid duplication with WEBE 108. Would it work?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Southington, Connecticut
    Posts
    9,587
    Quote Originally Posted by madooputtus View Post
    What will happen to Star 99.9, would its owners flip it to either country or classic hits so in order to avoid duplication with WEBE 108. Would it work?
    There isn't a lot of duplication. WEBE 108 while they player newer music still plays a decent amount of older music from the 70s and 80s. Star 99.9 does not. Last time I heard Star 99.9 they were playing a decent amount of music from the 90s and 2000s with some newer music mixed in.
    Brammy

    My Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mpbramhall82

    My Retail Message Board: http://amesfanclub.com/forum/index.php

    My Writing Portfolio: https://www.Writing.Com/authors/slydogg

    Tune into The Freestyle Lives Show hosted by Richie Rich Sunday Nights 6PM-8PM (Eastern) on La Mega 101.7 (910) in Hartford, La Mega 94.9 (890) in Boston, and La Mega 95.1 (1400) in Lawrence.

  4. #4
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,564
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcB View Post
    There isn't a lot of duplication. WEBE 108 while they player newer music still plays a decent amount of older music from the 70s and 80s. Star 99.9 does not. Last time I heard Star 99.9 they were playing a decent amount of music from the 90s and 2000s with some newer music mixed in.
    And both are billing relatively high amounts for a relatively small market. Any change would zero-base the revenue on one of the two stations.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by pjc1961 View Post
    WEBE 107.9 Westport and WICC 600 Bridgeport will go from Cumulus Media to Connoisseur Media
    in exchange for four stations plus a translator in the Allentown, PA area:

    WODE-FM 99.9 The Hawk (Classic Rock);
    WWYY-FM 107.1/translator W234AX 94.7 Spin Radio The Valley's Alternative;
    WEEX-AM 1230/WTKZ-AM 1320 Fox Sports Radio

    LMAs to begin on May 1, 2019.

    Connoisseur Media press release:

    https://connoisseurmedia.com/connois...cumulus-media/
    I just heard about this the other day. A friend of mine is an account executive at WEBE/WICC....assuming he'll be out of a job, but IDK.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by madooputtus View Post
    What will happen to Star 99.9, would its owners flip it to either country or classic hits so in order to avoid duplication with WEBE 108. Would it work?
    It will be interesting to see what Connoisseur Media does with WEZN. To Marc's point, lately the two stations have been playing almost the same exact songs. Could a format flip be in the offing?

  7. #7
    As David mentioned, a format flip at either FM seems unlikely. Both bill quite well, and changing one's format is no guarantee the listeners of that station will go to the other.

    Of course, Connoisseur has made some unexpected (and, possibly, ill-advised) changes in the past. So, I guess you can’t completely rule it out, but it does seem unlikely.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by FairBol View Post
    It will be interesting to see what Connoisseur Media does with WEZN. To Marc's point, lately the two stations have been playing almost the same exact songs. Could a format flip be in the offing?
    I still hear a pronounced difference. WEBE is older and softer than WEZN every hour I compare them. One's an AC, the other's a hot AC. 'Absolutely no reason, music-related or billing-related, to flip either -- especially since AC is safe, vanilla and soccer mom-friendly in both varieties. Remember, it's not about buzz, creativity, wow factor or any of that baby boomer radio fan thinking. It's about delivering pleasant songs that people in the target demographic love by artists they know, with a minimum of chatter and zero surprises -- and strong billing.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Central Connecticut
    Posts
    3,761
    Basically greater Bridgeport's answer to 100.5 (AC) and 96.5 (HOT AC) of New Britain/Hartford.

    How many other stations will Connoisseur pick up? They also own WPLR-FM 99.1 in New Haven and the rock station in Norwalk.

  10. #10
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,564
    Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    I still hear a pronounced difference. WEBE is older and softer than WEZN every hour I compare them. One's an AC, the other's a hot AC. 'Absolutely no reason, music-related or billing-related, to flip either -- especially since AC is safe, vanilla and soccer mom-friendly in both varieties. Remember, it's not about buzz, creativity, wow factor or any of that baby boomer radio fan thinking. It's about delivering pleasant songs that people in the target demographic love by artists they know, with a minimum of chatter and zero surprises -- and strong billing.

    Yep. Both stations are in the top ten billers in the entire state, with each one over $5 million. Why would either of them be changed?
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

     
Useful Contacts
Community


123