Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Latest Houston Ratings

  1. #11
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrtejano View Post
    Pretty good? I say awesome or KLOL is doing horrible? Both KQQK and KLOL are at 3.3.

    In Hispanic radio, 18-49 is everything.

    Nothing else matters except, perhaps, 18-34, but that is a subset of the other.

    KLOL has a 4.6 in an atypically low month (and which followed an atypically high one). KOVE has a 3.9, KQQK has a 3.7, followed by KAMA.

    And the elephant remains comfortably seated in the room.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

    KLOL has a 4.6 in an atypically low month (and which followed an atypically high one). KOVE has a 3.9, KQQK has a 3.7, followed by KAMA.

    And the elephant remains comfortably seated in the room.
    The KAMA/KQBU combo is still baffling to me. KAMA already has a healthy coverage area and KQBU doesn't add any significant Hispanic centers of population (unless you count Beaumont & Port Arthur, which I know Univision doesn't).

    Since the "Gran Elefante" is mostly a Spanish Hot Talk format by day, why not go back to a Regional Mexican format at KQBU? A 3.7 is very impressive for a rimshot, so there is definitely a demand for whatever KQQK is doing. I doubt any new Regional Mexican format would hurt KLTN. At this point, any listeners looking for music already jumped to one of the LBI outlets.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaTX View Post
    The KAMA/KQBU combo is still baffling to me. KAMA already has a healthy coverage area and KQBU doesn't add any significant Hispanic centers of population (unless you count Beaumont & Port Arthur, which I know Univision doesn't).
    Perhaps the simulcast is a placeholder while they figure out what to do with the signal. 93.3 does add some coverage at the N/S extremes of the market where 104.9 wouldn’t reach.

    At this point, any listeners looking for music already jumped to one of the LBI outlets.
    Speaking of Liberman, they are apparently wrapping up their bankruptcy process. Anyone have details of the final reorganization plan? A quick Google search didn’t turn up anything recent.

  4. #14
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,337
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaTX View Post
    The KAMA/KQBU combo is still baffling to me. KAMA already has a healthy coverage area and KQBU doesn't add any significant Hispanic centers of population (unless you count Beaumont & Port Arthur, which I know Univision doesn't).
    KQBU added nearly a share point to KAMA, and made the station much more competitive. The coverage area of KAMA is pretty much limited to Harris County, so any additional coverage contributes to total share.

    Since the "Gran Elefante" is mostly a Spanish Hot Talk format by day, why not go back to a Regional Mexican format at KQBU?
    That was tried. It did not create sales momentum with a 1 share. But the same 1 share added to KAMA increases rank and buys considerably.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  5. #15
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Mediafrog+ View Post
    Speaking of Liberman, they are apparently wrapping up their bankruptcy process. Anyone have details of the final reorganization plan? A quick Google search didn’t turn up anything recent.
    The latest report indicates that LBI will be nearly totally owned by the secured creditors. One issue is whether Lenard Liberman will be left in his position at the head of the reorganized company and, indeed, whether they might change the company name.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post


    The latest report indicates that LBI will be nearly totally owned by the secured creditors. One issue is whether Lenard Liberman will be left in his position at the head of the reorganized company and, indeed, whether they might change the company name.
    I'm curious as to whether the reorganized company will go TV only or stay in the radio business. I would think some of the marginal radio facilities will be sold off (KNTE, KJOJ, and maybe KEYH.) I don't see the current formats on KTJM and KQQK going anywhere--they seem to be doing well for rimshots, and provide alternatives to the local Univision offerings.

  7. #17
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Mediafrog+ View Post
    I'm curious as to whether the reorganized company will go TV only or stay in the radio business. I would think some of the marginal radio facilities will be sold off (KNTE, KJOJ, and maybe KEYH.) I don't see the current formats on KTJM and KQQK going anywhere--they seem to be doing well for rimshots, and provide alternatives to the local Univision offerings.
    The only reorganization is the change of ownership from Lenard and the Liberman family to the former lenders. The operations do not need to change at all unless there is a segment of the company that is not profitable or needs restructuring.

    The company problems were not operational; they simply did not make enough money to pay the debt service or principal agreements so the lenders took over what formerly was Lenard's.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  8. #18
    When I worked for LBI, I saw this coming then in 2004. They overbought properties for way more than they should have, spent money on personal items like the condo in Houston for Lenard and Winter Horton to stay at during the week, airline tickets every week back and forth from LA to Houston because Lenard trusted noone to run sales, not even Winter (who was a self serving jerk who knew nothing about the radio business), Papa Jose hiring expensive contractors to wire Bering studios instead of myself and others who were trained in fiber, Cat5/6, etc by the manufacturers. Plus having George Murray and Chris Buchanan later as DOE..total idiots...I was not surprised when they filed for bankruptcy..I hope the lenders put knowledgeable people in or else sell the whole thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

     
Useful Contacts
Community


123