• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Latest Houston Ratings

Alternate link here: https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb033

KKHH has a nice upward bounce after some middling numbers the past few books.

Also a rebound for 93Q; however they still trail The Bull.

El Norte 107.9 still pulling some decent numbers. Pretty good for an eastern rimshot.

Country Legends in the mid two's, also respectable for that signal. Must be a significant number of Country fans that are turned off by current trends in the genre.

Yes, interesting to see CBS Sportsradio 650 show up. None of the SportsTalkers made it out of the zeroes.

And speaking of zeroes, our favorite dumpster fire on KROI is still stuck there. When is that sale happening?

Not soon,....

Why do you say that? Alfred Liggins has spoken publicly in the company investor calls about liquidating unproductive or non-core assets, so the stage is set and it looks like it is time for the fat lady to sing.

Also a rebound for 93Q; however they still trail The Bull.

And the Bull would have looked even better but they had a little dip in the first week of the book. By the end of the book, they were 4th in 18-49 and 3rd in 18-34. The rise of KILT has been excellent in just a couple of months under their new PD.

Country Legends in the mid two's, also respectable for that signal. Must be a significant number of Country fans that are turned off by current trends in the genre.

The malcontents are apparently mostly over 50. In 18-49, they are a low 1-share station. Today's country with innovative artists like Kane Brown and FGL, is more and more a younger adult play and is in some respects today's pop music. I'm biased, as I am a big fan of today's country.

Yes, interesting to see CBS Sportsradio 650 show up. None of the SportsTalkers made it out of the zeroes.

Remember, it just takes one credited listening incident by one meter to get a 0.1 for a subscriber.

The malcontents are apparently mostly over 50. In 18-49, they are a low 1-share station. Today's country with innovative artists like Kane Brown and FGL, is more and more a younger adult play and is in some respects today's pop music. I'm biased, as I am a big fan of today's country.

Country Legends right now has a lot of variety on their playlist. On one end, you've got George Jones and story songs by Tom T. Hall; on the other end, you've got Joe Diffie and Reba who lit up the Hot Country charts in the 90s. Not only are the transitions jarring, but you can safely assume Tom T. Hall is not helping the demos. It would seem like KTHT could go all-90s country, skew a good deal younger, and still only overlap at most a song an hour with KKBQ.

Today's country with INNOVATIVE artists like Kane Brown and FGL,
That's an interesting way of describing trash, I guess :)

But seriously, this new wave of faux country has evolved so much that it should have it's own genre name (or at least a subgenre). Maybe Country Pop? Rural CHR? Backwoods Rap? The sound has changed so much that anyone waking up from a 15 year coma today would think they are listening to an urban station.

Pretty good? I say awesome or KLOL is doing horrible? Both KQQK and KLOL are at 3.3.

In Hispanic radio, 18-49 is everything.

Nothing else matters except, perhaps, 18-34, but that is a subset of the other.

KLOL has a 4.6 in an atypically low month (and which followed an atypically high one). KOVE has a 3.9, KQQK has a 3.7, followed by KAMA.

And the elephant remains comfortably seated in the room.

KLOL has a 4.6 in an atypically low month (and which followed an atypically high one). KOVE has a 3.9, KQQK has a 3.7, followed by KAMA.

And the elephant remains comfortably seated in the room.
The KAMA/KQBU combo is still baffling to me. KAMA already has a healthy coverage area and KQBU doesn't add any significant Hispanic centers of population (unless you count Beaumont & Port Arthur, which I know Univision doesn't).

Since the "Gran Elefante" is mostly a Spanish Hot Talk format by day, why not go back to a Regional Mexican format at KQBU? A 3.7 is very impressive for a rimshot, so there is definitely a demand for whatever KQQK is doing. I doubt any new Regional Mexican format would hurt KLTN. At this point, any listeners looking for music already jumped to one of the LBI outlets.

The KAMA/KQBU combo is still baffling to me. KAMA already has a healthy coverage area and KQBU doesn't add any significant Hispanic centers of population (unless you count Beaumont & Port Arthur, which I know Univision doesn't).

Perhaps the simulcast is a placeholder while they figure out what to do with the signal. 93.3 does add some coverage at the N/S extremes of the market where 104.9 wouldn’t reach.

At this point, any listeners looking for music already jumped to one of the LBI outlets.

Speaking of Liberman, they are apparently wrapping up their bankruptcy process. Anyone have details of the final reorganization plan? A quick Google search didn’t turn up anything recent.

KQBU added nearly a share point to KAMA, and made the station much more competitive. The coverage area of KAMA is pretty much limited to Harris County, so any additional coverage contributes to total share.

Since the "Gran Elefante" is mostly a Spanish Hot Talk format by day, why not go back to a Regional Mexican format at KQBU?

That was tried. It did not create sales momentum with a 1 share. But the same 1 share added to KAMA increases rank and buys considerably.

Speaking of Liberman, they are apparently wrapping up their bankruptcy process. Anyone have details of the final reorganization plan? A quick Google search didn’t turn up anything recent.

The latest report indicates that LBI will be nearly totally owned by the secured creditors. One issue is whether Lenard Liberman will be left in his position at the head of the reorganized company and, indeed, whether they might change the company name.

The latest report indicates that LBI will be nearly totally owned by the secured creditors. One issue is whether Lenard Liberman will be left in his position at the head of the reorganized company and, indeed, whether they might change the company name.

I'm curious as to whether the reorganized company will go TV only or stay in the radio business. I would think some of the marginal radio facilities will be sold off (KNTE, KJOJ, and maybe KEYH.) I don't see the current formats on KTJM and KQQK going anywhere--they seem to be doing well for rimshots, and provide alternatives to the local Univision offerings.

I'm curious as to whether the reorganized company will go TV only or stay in the radio business. I would think some of the marginal radio facilities will be sold off (KNTE, KJOJ, and maybe KEYH.) I don't see the current formats on KTJM and KQQK going anywhere--they seem to be doing well for rimshots, and provide alternatives to the local Univision offerings.

The only reorganization is the change of ownership from Lenard and the Liberman family to the former lenders. The operations do not need to change at all unless there is a segment of the company that is not profitable or needs restructuring.

The company problems were not operational; they simply did not make enough money to pay the debt service or principal agreements so the lenders took over what formerly was Lenard's.

When I worked for LBI, I saw this coming then in 2004. They overbought properties for way more than they should have, spent money on personal items like the condo in Houston for Lenard and Winter Horton to stay at during the week, airline tickets every week back and forth from LA to Houston because Lenard trusted noone to run sales, not even Winter (who was a self serving jerk who knew nothing about the radio business), Papa Jose hiring expensive contractors to wire Bering studios instead of myself and others who were trained in fiber, Cat5/6, etc by the manufacturers. Plus having George Murray and Chris Buchanan later as DOE..total idiots...I was not surprised when they filed for bankruptcy..I hope the lenders put knowledgeable people in or else sell the whole thing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom