Thread: WBBM Traffic Reports

WBBM Traffic Reports

Does anyone know if WBBM is compressing their traffic reports? I've never heard anyone deliver speech faster without stumbles, so just wondering if they are doctoring the reports…pre-recording them then processing them
    WGAU (Athens) 1965-1968 / WDOL (Athens) 1971 / Radio Dramatist

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Rafone View Post
    Does anyone know if WBBM is compressing their traffic reports? I've never heard anyone deliver speech faster without stumbles, so just wondering if they are doctoring the reports…pre-recording them then processing them
    I don't know i don't listen to WBBM

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Rafone View Post
    Nope. 100% live. So I guess, thank you?

For what it's worth we know they're very fast but it is important we get ALL information in all our reports and we only have 90 seconds at best. To slow down we would have to leave roads out and immediately the complaint calls and emails come in to management "Why don't you ever mention (insert road here)?" We know they are fast and intense but we hope to be as inofrmative to as many listeners as possible.

Well, absolutely,"congratulations!" An incredible feat … no stumbles, slips.

Give your talented tongue manipulators a hearty slap on the back from a listener in Cherokee County, Georgia. Even the mighty WSB can't produce a traffic update like that!
    WGAU (Athens) 1965-1968 / WDOL (Athens) 1971 / Radio Dramatist

I enjoy listening to WBBM for the news and traffic as I am doing my morning drive to work. I also enjoyed Bart Shore but when the station changed traffic reporters to Beau Duran I cannot listen anymore to his traffic reports. Maybe it is just me but his delivery is awful. He talks like he is off to the races and I find myself not understanding a word. Last Friday a guy named Nick sat in for Duran and gave a slow and clear delivery which I totally enjoyed. Duran needs to slow it down and speak clearly like Bart Shore did when he was at the station. Maybe Duran should be put on Midnights when there is limited traffic and he could be done in 8 seconds. I would enjoy your feelings on this topic. Kind Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wayne View Post
    I enjoy listening to WBBM for the news and traffic as I am doing my morning drive to work. I also enjoyed Bart Shore but when the station changed traffic reporters to Beau Duran I cannot listen anymore to his traffic reports. Maybe it is just me but his delivery is awful. He talks like he is off to the races and I find myself not understanding a word. Last Friday a guy named Nick sat in for Duran and gave a slow and clear delivery which I totally enjoyed. Duran needs to slow it down and speak clearly like Bart Shore did when he was at the station. Maybe Duran should be put on Midnights when there is limited traffic and he could be done in 8 seconds. I would enjoy your feelings on this topic. Kind Regards
    I am sure glad that you enjoy listening to the station, but WBBM is not my cup of tea, but just turn off the station when Beau Duran does his traffic reports, and turn it back on when he is done. After all how long can they go on for, I ma sure this is always the way he has talked, and not looking to change anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wayne View Post
    Maybe Duran should be put on Midnights when there is limited traffic.....
    Is there ever limited traffic in Chicago?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
    Is there ever limited traffic in Chicago?
    I would imagine overnights and during the day and nights outside the two rush hours which is morning and afternoon, as most people will be at work in less they are overnight people, and sleeping, i would imagine overnights would have limited traffic as people will be home sleeping, in less up at nights working or whatever they do.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by staggmovie View Post
    I would imagine overnights and during the day and nights outside the two rush hours which is morning and afternoon, as most people will be at work in less they are overnight people, and sleeping, i would imagine overnights would have limited traffic as people will be home sleeping, in less up at nights working or whatever they do.
    For a news station, overnight traffic is important as that is when there are often road closures for repair work and maintenance which affects people working on overnight shifts in industries like warehousing, distribution, continuous process manufacturing and essential services like firefighters, cops, electric company employees and the like.

Traffic in the 4 AM to 5 AM hours is important for non-retail and non-office workers who are headed for a 5 AM or 6 AM shift start.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

For a news station, overnight traffic is important as that is when there are often road closures for repair work and maintenance which affects people working on overnight shifts in industries like warehousing, distribution, continuous process manufacturing and essential services like firefighters, cops, electric company employees and the like.

Traffic in the 4 AM to 5 AM hours is important for non-retail and non-office workers who are headed for a 5 AM or 6 AM shift start.
    100% correct. BBM's 4am hour has higher listening than several daypart hours.