Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 202

Thread: KLOS Sold - Now it's a Fact!

  1. #31
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,337
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
    Boy has the audience ever changed. I just looked up the non-Hispanic white population of L.A. and was surprised it's reportedly 29.4%. I thought it lower than that. The Latino population is said to be 47.5%. KLOS had a good run as a rock station. Buh-bye.
    You are looking at Los Angeles data, not the radio market data.

    The LA MSA is 45.7% Hispanic, 6.8% Black and 16.9% Asian. Add in about a million first generation immigrants who are in none of those ethnic groups (Persians, Armenians, Russians, etc) and the available audience for a mostly non-Hispanic white format is limited.

    But we also have to take into account that classic rock does have some listening among those ethnic groups. As an example, some of the biggest concerts of the major classic rock artists have been in Latin America. And from the 70's to the last decade, every major Latin American city had at least one rock station that played all or mostly English language music.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Your mom's house
    Posts
    471
    Before this discussion wines up any more, I just want to say that I loved today's RAMP newsletter report that "Merlot Media" had purchased KLOS.

    Screenshot available upon request. (*hic*)

  3. #33
    Here's one reality that we all have to accept: For radio as we know it to stay vital, to grow, and to succeed, it NEEDS TO ADAPT & CHANGE. It needs to adapt to changing musical tastes, it needs to adapt to changing demographics and changing populations. The one thing we can see with both KLOS and WPLJ is these stations didn't adapt. They were once rock stations that continued to play a lot of the same music from their heyday, rather than change and adapt to current music. In other words, these stations tried to become museums of their past legacy. Even their logo was unchanged from the ABC days. All of this was a mistake. But when you delay change too long, it becomes counterproductive.

    The time to change these stations was ten or twelve years ago. Before they were sold to Citadel. But that would have required an investment in new programming, and ABC had already decided to sell. So it was a bad time to blow them up. So they hung on. Then Citadel bought them and immediately realized they bought a pig in a poke. They bought stations that were in decline. They could have blown them up, but they were dealing with a bad economy and their own debt issues. Then they went bankrupt and the banks sold them to Cumulus, and it was a repeat performance. But I remember hearing numerous rumors a few years ago about attempts to change formats at both WPLJ and KLOS. Format changes that would have made both stations more current, but would also be complete breaks from their heritage. They just couldn't get the commitment for the money it would cost to make those changes.

    So now both stations are in new hands, and change will definitely come to WPLJ. We don't know if it will come to KLOS. But certainly at some point, something will have to change. Hopefully the new owner has the capital to make it happen.

  4. #34
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,337
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post

    So now both stations are in new hands, and change will definitely come to WPLJ. We don't know if it will come to KLOS. But certainly at some point, something will have to change. Hopefully the new owner has the capital to make it happen.
    Meruelo is reported to be a billionaire, with considerable hotel and gaming interests in Nevada as well as food services and construction groups.

    http://www.meruelogroup.com/
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post


    You are looking at Los Angeles data, not the radio market data.

    The LA MSA is 45.7% Hispanic, 6.8% Black and 16.9% Asian. Add in about a million first generation immigrants who are in none of those ethnic groups (Persians, Armenians, Russians, etc) and the available audience for a mostly non-Hispanic white format is limited.

    But we also have to take into account that classic rock does have some listening among those ethnic groups. As an example, some of the biggest concerts of the major classic rock artists have been in Latin America. And from the 70's to the last decade, every major Latin American city had at least one rock station that played all or mostly English language music.
    I know. The point was so easily made using Los Angeles data I didn't even need to dig deeper than that. The point being that Los Angeles is so unfavorable for a rock station that it's a wonder it's lasted as long as it has.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    11,067
    This would then be a rare example of "local billionaire buys radio station?"

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post


    Meruelo is reported to be a billionaire, with considerable hotel and gaming interests in Nevada as well as food services and construction groups.

    http://www.meruelogroup.com/

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Solano County, California
    Posts
    8,995
    https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...for-allentown/

    Apparently the KLOS Trade was part of another series of deals Cumulus has been doing around the country though.

    Cumulus also has announced it has swapped News/Talk 600 WICC Bridgeport and AC “WeBe 108” 107.9 WEBE Westport CT to Connoisseur Media for Connoisseur’s Classic Rock “99.9 The Hawk” WODE Easton, Alternative “107.1 Spin Radio” WWYY Belvedere NJ/94.7 W234AX Allentown PA, and Sports “Fox Sports LV” 1230 WEEX Easton/1320 WTKZ Allentown.

    The swaps allow both companies to grow in their respective markets as Cumulus owns Country “Cat Country 96” WCTO Easton and AC 100.7 WLEV Allentown in the Allentown market and Connoisseur owns Classic Rock “95.9 The Fox” WFOX-FM Norwalk and AC “Star 99.9” WEZN Bridgeport in Fairfield County CT. Both companies will begin their respective LMAs on May 1.

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

    Meruelo is reported to be a billionaire, with considerable hotel and gaming interests in Nevada as well as food services and construction groups.
    This is the kind of owner radio needs at this point. Private owners, no stockholders, interest & passion for radio.

    Because radio won't deliver the kind of profit & growth a traditional investor wants.

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Then Citadel bought them and immediately realized they bought a pig in a poke. They bought stations that were in decline. They could have blown them up, but they were dealing with a bad economy and their own debt issues. Then they went bankrupt and the banks sold them to Cumulus, and it was a repeat performance.
    Slight correction; Citadel came out of their bankruptcy in pretty good shape. Cumulus got the stations via a hostile takeover, and as one of the worst operators around, swiftly ran the stations into the ground.

    I agree with pretty much everything else you said.

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    This is the kind of owner radio needs at this point. Private owners, no stockholders, interest & passion for radio.

    Because radio won't deliver the kind of profit & growth a traditional investor wants.
    Exactly - funny how FM radio, the expansive far-reaching business in the 70's and 80's is now so small on a local scale, with signal limitations and fewer choices compared to other online/in car options. Additionally, I find this refreshing in one way, but imagine that a company like this, who has plenty of resources, can and will invest in this station, it's quality and overall sound and yet, will it matter when so many other larger signals sound so tepid and their mundane delivery actually hurts other stations trying to sound good.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

     
Useful Contacts
Community


123