Thread: RKO newscaster fired for "fake news" ?

RKO newscaster fired for "fake news" ?

Krazy K000nah mentioned on his show this morning that a newscaster was fired after complaints from many listeners regarding a news broadcast at 6 (it was unclear if he meant 6 today, 6a yesterday, or 6p yesterday).

Anyone know what he's referring to? The news didn't sound any different to me.
    I'm not a broadcast radio industry professional (PG/DB by day, HA by night), but, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express one evening. Now working FT8 on 20/40/80m!

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    Krazy K000nah mentioned on his show this morning that a newscaster was fired after complaints from many listeners regarding a news broadcast at 6 (it was unclear if he meant 6 today, 6a yesterday, or 6p yesterday).

I don't listen to Kuhner, but I thought it was odd that Evan Heidenrich (sp?), who normally does news on WRKO between noon and 6:30 PM, was doing news at 10:30 this morning during Barry Armstrong's program. Now, I don't listen to 'RKO till after 10:00AM, but a Nick (Vobi? Mobi? I don't hear consonants well) used to do morning news, presumably starting at 6:00 AM on 'RKO. My guess is Kuhner could've meant the 6:00 AM news, in which case it would be Nick he's referring to.

Best guess I can make.

As much as I love Kuhner, he should be one to talk about "fake news". Dude blatantly lies on the air constantly. Now, you can criticize that, but, at the same time, he creates buzz and has a very loyal following. there's something to be said about that.

Also RKO news comes from iHearts news service. They are not local to WRKO.

Quote Originally Posted by nowradioguy View Post
    Nick (Vobi? Mobi? I don't hear consonants well)
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/nickbove

Quote Originally Posted by Tired Of It All View Post
    Ok, thanks for this, but does anyone know who it was that got the boot? More precisely, did anyone actually get booted or just re-assigned? The other poster may be correct in that Kuhner does sometimes alter details in order to achieve a wow effect with his audience.

Friday morning 'RKO had Angela Anderson doing news.

And did anyone notice that Mike Ellis no longer does weather on 'RKO, having been replaced by reports direct from The Weather Channel?

Quote Originally Posted by nowradioguy View Post

More precisely, did anyone actually get booted....
    Given how Kooner exaggerates things ("The ratings are through the roof", "I'm goin to be the anchor of the station in middays", we're going national baby")...I wonder how much of this is true at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Wimmmex View Post
    I wonder how much of this is true at all!
    Knowing Drama Queen K000hnah... probably none.
    I'm not a broadcast radio industry professional (PG/DB by day, HA by night), but, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express one evening. Now working FT8 on 20/40/80m!

Well, the news sounds different now that Jay Corwin seems to be doing morning news on WRKO. In my view, this is a good move and has been a long time coming, since Jay generally does a good job. I remember him from when he used to do the news on 96.9 WTKK.