• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Disney to test its power with new streaming service

Y2kTheNewOldies

Walk of Fame Participant
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/10/media/disney-investor-day-2019-streaming/index.html

Since the 20th Century Fox deal came out there have been talks about Disney testing its new streaming service as a way to go after Netflix. But wait Disney also has majority control of Hulu though too Hulu is also at play to go after Netflix too for viewers.

New York (CNN Business)Disney's new streaming service will test Marvel's power, the reach of the "Star Wars" galaxy and the magic of animated classics spanning more than 80 years, coupled with the new-found bulk provided by its acquisition of Fox Entertainment assets.

The studio will play show-and-tell with investors on Thursday, amid what promises to be a banner year for Disney (DIS) at the box office -- thanks to "Avengers," "Toy Story" and "Star Wars" sequels, as well as a new version of "The Lion King" -- and a major theme-park expansion with the opening of Star Wars Land sure to lengthen queue lines this spring.

Still, beyond those can't-miss projects, much of the intrigue surrounding the Mouse House's future revolves around its plans to introduce a streaming service this year, Disney+, as the major studios seek to fortify their positions against the challenge posed by Netflix (NFLX) as well as tech giants like Amazon (AMZN), Google (GOOG) and most recently Apple (AAPL) in the content space.

https://www.fiercevideo.com/video/d...nd-raises-expectations-for-disney-s-dtc-plans

Disney + to start on November 12th

Disney+ Day finally arrived on Thursday, and following a lengthy presentation packed with lots of details about pricing, programming and financials, many analysts are increasingly bullish on Disney’s direct-to-consumer plans.

Disney+ is launching in the U.S. on Nov. 12, and will be priced at $6.99 per month or $69.99 per year. International market launches across Asia and Europe will follow through 2020 and 2021. Disney+ will have a big film library, including classic Disney films and all the Star Wars trilogies – implying that Disney has bought back from AT&T’s WarnerMedia rights for the early Star Wars films. In its first year, the service will also release more than 25 original series and 10 original films. By year five, the number of original series is anticipated to be more than 50.

I wonder if Disney will be bundling this with co-owned ESPN+ with, say, an $8.99 or $9.99 price point.

I really doubt The Simpsons and Star Wars will be enough to keep Disney's streaming service afloat. And although there may be significant nostalgia for the older Disney children's movies I can't say the same for their recent animated films - certainly not in my house (we have 7 through 74 here).

Even if Disney augments its movie offerings with their older cartoons I don't see the attraction. Disney is no Warner Bros.

If Netflix, with its much larger catalog of films spread over the total demographic of movie watchers, cannot attract but a small number of subscribers (out of the total number of TV watchers) what hope does Disney have "of catching up"?

I really doubt The Simpsons and Star Wars will be enough to keep Disney's streaming service afloat. And although there may be significant nostalgia for the older Disney children's movies I can't say the same for their recent animated films - certainly not in my house (we have 7 through 74 here).

Even if Disney augments its movie offerings with their older cartoons I don't see the attraction. Disney is no Warner Bros.

If Netflix, with its much larger catalog of films spread over the total demographic of movie watchers, cannot attract but a small number of subscribers (out of the total number of TV watchers) what hope does Disney have "of catching up"?

But Disney is Buena Vista and 20th Century Fox and ABC TV.

CNET has a complete list: https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-plus-every-show-and-movie-you-can-definitely-stream/

Netflix has 140 million subscribers. Considering that each subscription allows multiple simultaneous streams, we are talking about a universe in the vicinity of 750 million viewers.

I don't see Buena Vista or ABC being great positives. 20th Century perhaps.

Netflix has 140 million subscribers. Considering that each subscription allows multiple simultaneous streams, we are talking about a universe in the vicinity of 750 million viewers.

"Potential" viewers.

My adult daughter has a Netflix sub but uses it mostly for her 7-year old daughter. Perhaps once per week. She just mentioned today that she is probably going to cancel it as she doesn't think a lot of the new stuff is appropriate or interesting for her daughter (who is much more interested in online gaming than movies). I've tried showing her some of the older classic Disney movies but she usually gets bored quickly. I don't think she has ever watched an entire movie (except for "Frozen" which she tried watching endlessly).

I see Disney being successful programming to the younger set but once they invariably raise their sub price they might become an unnecessary expense for their older siblings and parents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_(channel)

You gotta consider the International audiences in 2020 and 2021 the proposed dates for Disney + to be released outside the USA. In areas outside the USA Disney owned networks are known as (Fox Broadcasting Company) shows from Fox Broadcasting Company (Disney International Networks) would appear on the international edition of Disney + though.

Will any of these studios have content on Disney Plus? Disney already owns the rights through other buyouts:

Saban Entertainment (as part of Fox Family)
Marvel Animation. This includes the 90's series, and even Muppet Babies(!)
Fox Kids (as part of Fox Family)
ABC Motion Pictures
Song of the South
De Patie Freleng Enterprises (as part of Fox Family)
Selznick International Pictures (as part of ABC)
Endemol Shine (half-owned by Fox)
A&E (half-owned by Disney)

The R-rated and niche productions will be Hulu only.

Possibilities:
Touchstone Pictures. They'll definitely have Roger Rabbit and The Nightmare Before Christmas on Disney+.
Lucasfilm. Paramount still holds the distribution rights to Indiana Jones, while the TV series is with CBS.
The Fox/Marvel movies. They already owned the characters. Don't expect to see Deadpool or Logan on Disney+.
Hollywood Pictures
Films for which Fox/Disney owns the international rights. Like Titanic (Fox) or Popeye (Disney).
Marsupilami. I think the show went off air because of a lawsuit.

Out of the question:
Miramax (sold off in 2010-11)
Studio Ghibli (Disney no longer owns the distribution rights)
Any movie whose rights Fox no longer owns. Like these. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.ph...ury_Fox_films_(1935–99)&oldid=815374322#Notes

Last edited:
https://www.fiercevideo.com/video/disney-hulu-shape-singular-content-strategy-under-disney

Disney has some important content distribution decisions to make beginning this year as it weighs the strengths of Hulu and Disney+, two key components of its streaming video strategy.

Disney+ is launching in November, and already has a sizable lineup of originals mixed with Disney (and now Fox) library content. Hulu is still owned in part by Disney and Comcast, but Disney now has complete control over the streaming service.

So, the subject of what service gets what content naturally came up last weekend at the Produced By conference, where Agnes Chu, senior vice president of content for Disney+, and Craig Erwich, senior vice president of content for Hulu, sat on a panel together. According to Deadline, Chu brought up a recent conversation that Disney+ had with a documentary team about making exclusive content for Disney+, but also leaving open the door to Hulu if some of the deal’s output would make more sense on Hulu’s platform.

How Hulu and Disney+ will be managed

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/12/dis...fect-price-of-cable-in-the-streaming-era.html

Disney is set to renew its multiyear carriage agreement with Charter, the second-largest U.S. pay TV provider, at the beginning of August, according to people familiar with the matter.

So far, there are no signs the two sides will have a testy public renegotiation. That is par for the course for Disney, which usually hammers out a deal without fanfare. After all, pay-TV providers have never had the stomach to black out ESPN, Disney’s most valuable cable channel and by far the most expensive network in the pay-TV bundle.

But this particular Disney deal has widespread implications for how future TV carriage deals will be crafted. The outcome could lead to more contentious battles between TV providers and content creators, and perhaps stem the tide of rising cable TV bills.

The Disney Charter Carriage Deal has been set for August and part of this is in preparation for Disney+

I wonder if Disney will be bundling this with co-owned ESPN+ with, say, an $8.99 or $9.99 price point.

I wish they make ESPN a pay channel .I'm tired see all the cable subscribers including me at the time getting raped with their bloated subscriber fees.Especially for people like yours truly that dont watch the sports channels....I'm glad that I dumped the extended cable back in 2012.So ESPN and Fake News CNN and other channels I never watch dont get my hard earned money....

I wish they make ESPN a pay channel .I'm tired see all the cable subscribers including me at the time getting raped with their bloated subscriber fees.Especially for people like yours truly that dont watch the sports channels....I'm glad that I dumped the extended cable back in 2012.So ESPN and Fake News CNN and other channels I never watch dont get my hard earned money....

With the exorbitant rights fees that The Mickey Mouse Outfit has to pay for all the games the ESPN channels carry, that would be impossible. If it was only those directly interested in their sports coverage paid for it, you'd be talking $50 per month if not more.

https://www.fiercevideo.com/video/disney-gets-starring-role-company-s-marvel-phase-four-plans

Update Marvel is also included in the Disney+ carriage

Disney+, Disney’s subscription streaming service launching November 12, will play a big role in the studio’s plans for Phase Four of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Disney showed up at Comic-Con International in San Diego to announce new titles and provide additional details for previously announced Disney+ projects. And these titles will apparently tie in closely with Marvel’s theatrical releases, according to Kevin Feige, president of Marvel Studios.

In Fall 2020, “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier” will arrive on Disney+. The series will star Anthony Mackie (The Falcon) and Sebastian Stan (The Winter Soldier) and will pick up right after the events of “Avengers: Endgame.”

CNET has a complete list: https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-plus-every-show-and-movie-you-can-definitely-stream/

Is that 140 million for Netflix alone or with Netflix as part of a package that includes Netflix? I am not one of the 140 million either way - just curious.

With the exorbitant rights fees that The Mickey Mouse Outfit has to pay for all the games the ESPN channels carry, that would be impossible. If it was only those directly interested in their sports coverage paid for it, you'd be talking $50 per month if not more.

I figure that was part of it. Not a fan of sports now as I bailed out it many years ago. Sorry to say this. Will let the fans pay for it and dont shove the channel down the throats of subscribers that dont watch the channel.Like me...For those who cant afford $50 plus for it .They got ABC,CBS,NBC and FOX for free.Also online .Of course got to pay for the cable/internet bill for some viewers ..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom