Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oldies Fans what about Shortwave?

WINB (9265) has been broadcasting DRM experimentally. VOA is expected to start a DRM service "in a couple of months" (according to Kim Andrew Elliot, VOA) although they have admitted it easier to jam than AM.
    Europe has had DRM for a few years now, mostly by government broadcasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat3 View Post
    The Russian Woodpecker is actually located near the old Chernobyl nuclear site. It's in the danger zone and has been pretty much abandoned since the fire at the nuclear plant many years ago. There are lots of video and pictures of the site on the internet. It's huge
    I thought that thing was located in Krasnoyarsk, in Siberia.

David, I agree with you regarding the advertising and the lack of attracting them on short wave. The suggestion I had was what has been occurring in Europe in recent years. These stations are essentially community radio stations using the short wave bands.

"I thought that thing was located in Krasnoyarsk, in Siberia." There was more than one. See for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjxFqPEJ3EA

And for you conspiracy theorists reference the movie "The Russian Woodpecker"

DRM has (or had) the same issue as HD radio. High royalties to get into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by K6JHU View Post
    "I thought that thing was located in Krasnoyarsk, in Siberia." There was more than one. See for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjxFqPEJ3EA

And for you conspiracy theorists reference the movie "The Russian Woodpecker"

DRM has (or had) the same issue as HD radio. High royalties to get into the game.
    I decoded DRM with my little TenTec shortwave receiver and a using a computer to decode the signal. I'm not sure I have the software anymore or if it's available for free as it once was. It was cool to see the digital signal pop up as clear as could be with program info displayed on the computer screen. Trouble was a lack of programming in English, then later a lack of any programming! There's plenty of HF spectrum to be had, I'd like to see DRM get a little.
    Out of the money demo...all the way out!

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by K6JHU View Post

I was under the impression that DRM was created by a non-profit consortium and it "open source".

"Apart from the ability to fit in with existing spectrum requirements, the DRM system also benefits from being an open system[1]. All manufacturers and interested parties have free access to the complete technical standards, and are able to design and manufacture equipment on an equitable basis."

And...

"There is no royalty charge for actual use of the system(broadcasting or reception)."

-> https://www.drm.org/what-is-drm-digital-radio/summary/

Apparently any transmitter or receiver manufacturer can use the open source data to build their royalty-free products. Membership in the consortium of manufacturers and broadcasters is very inexpensive and mostly provides additional technical guidance via newsletters, conferences, etc.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123