Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KOOL OLDIES RADIO 96.1 FM / 990 AM coverage area

Quote Originally Posted by WPPCProductions View Post
    Have the FM tuned in today in my back yard about 4PM .They are in the karaoke mode now.Thats like loosing the ground lead in your walkman headset or not pushing the headset plug all a the way in will give you the same effect...My cell is dead so I cant call the eng dept provided above. .

WDRC-FM used to have a few songs in its library that would sound like that when played. The worst offender was the Mamas and Papas' "I Saw Her Again," in which Mama Cass's lead vocal and much of the instrumentation would disappear at times and all you;d hear were the backing vocals. One-channel audio from a recording that was probably false stereo to begin with.

The stations automation for that station sucks.

Its almost like they done care about that station.
    Scott Greczkowski<br />-- SatelliteGuys.US<br />-- MultiChannel News

Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    The stations automation for that station sucks.

Its almost like they done care about that station.
    I have no idea how the station is operated today, but when I was involved with that station from 02-04 when the station was owned by Peter Arpin's ADD Radio Group and Charlie Profit was the General Manager they got an automation computer in 2003. It was a DOS Based Automation system. Even in 03 any thing DOS was years out-of-date. It wouldn't surprise me if they are still using the DOS automation system. It could explain why the timing is off sometimes up to 40 minutes ahead. When the station was leased out to Radio Cantinco Nuevo in 07 under ownership of DMG, they set it so the legal ID would play automatically on top of programming at the top of the hour. Charlie Profit's Voice saying "WXCT Southington." As time went on that automated ID would play on top of programming at random times. i.e. 25 past the hour, :38 past the hour, etc. It continued this way even after Radio Cantico Nuevo was phased out except for the weekend in 2012 and replaced by a simulcast of sister station POWER 1270. You would hear the automated ID at a random time and then the real legal ID near the top of the hour. "WSPR Springfield. WXCT Southington. Power 1270 y Power 990."

On July 3, 2015 after stunting with with "It's the Same Old Song" by The Four Tops for 12 hours they launched the Oldies format, simulcast from WACM 1490. "Oldies 990 and 1490 WXCT." After a couple of days the people running the station disabled the random "WXCT Southington" ID that had been playing automatically since 2007. Sometime in 2016 after the sale to Full Power Radio, a new transmitter was installed. (I don't know if it was new or used). Going back to when Charlie Profit was running the station 990 would go off the air completely in extremely cold weather. That stopped after the winter of 2016, so that's why I assume they got a new transmitter. Plus the night signal gets out much farther too. (Of course with WALE in Greenville, RI gone and I think 990 in Montreal gone as well helps too). Keep in mind the old one transmitter was the same one the people from El Principe Communications damaged after they got evicted from the radio station in September 2000.
    Brammy

My Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mpbramhall82

My Retail Message Board: http://amesfanclub.com/forum/index.php

My Writing Portfolio: https://www.Writing.Com/authors/slydogg

Tune into The Freestyle Lives Show hosted by Richie Rich Sunday Nights 6PM-8PM (Eastern) on La Mega 101.7 (910) in Hartford, La Mega 94.9 (890) in Boston, and La Mega 95.1 (1400) in Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    WDRC-FM used to have a few songs in its library that would sound like that when played. The worst offender was the Mamas and Papas' "I Saw Her Again," in which Mama Cass's lead vocal and much of the instrumentation would disappear at times and all you;d hear were the backing vocals. One-channel audio from a recording that was probably false stereo to begin with.
    Yes Alot of 60's tunes were recorded like that.

They were off the air again for some 20-odd hours Friday into Saturday. I left a voicemail for Scott Baron their Chief Engineer Friday Night at 8PM, mainly because I forgot to call at 3PM when I discovered them off the air after I got out of work. Anyway someone must've been angry about them being off the air as when I drove by their building on Old Turnpike Road on Saturday Morning (after they were back on) I saw that their mailbox was smashed and falling off the post. My Mom and I go to yard sales on Saturdays (if I'm not working) and we went to one off of Mulberry Street, which is down the street from the station.
    Brammy

Tune into The Freestyle Lives Show hosted by Richie Rich Sunday Nights 6PM-8PM (Eastern) on La Mega 101.7 (910) in Hartford, La Mega 94.9 (890) in Boston, and La Mega 95.1 (1400) in Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcB View Post
    Anyway someone must've been angry about them being off the air as when I drove by their building on Old Turnpike Road on Saturday Morning (after they were back on) I saw that their mailbox was smashed and falling off the post.
    Unlikely that fans of oldies would get so worked up over WNTY that they'd turn to vandalism. More likely one of the toughs and transients who keep Darling Street so prominent in the police blotter ran into the mailbox with his car on his nightly bender.

Anyway someone must've been angry about them being off the air as when I drove by their building on Old Turnpike Road on Saturday Morning (after they were back on) I saw that their mailbox was smashed and falling off the post.
    Perhaps it was a symbolic act of revenge by someone whose voice mail was ignored.
    Plugged into the electric radio

They were off the air again for some 20-odd hours Friday into Saturday. I left a voicemail for Scott Baron their Chief Engineer Friday Night at 8PM, mainly because I forgot to call at 3PM when I discovered them off the air after I got out of work. Anyway someone must've been angry about them being off the air as when I drove by their building on Old Turnpike Road on Saturday Morning (after they were back on) I saw that their mailbox was smashed and falling off the post. My Mom and I go to yard sales on Saturdays (if I'm not working) and we went to one off of Mulberry Street, which is down the street from the station.

Once again, for a station you've said.. more then once.. you don't care much about or have much time for, you sure know alot about/have alot of info on, and send a fair amount of time on here talking about and etc

Hi Marc . I was going to post about this issue Friday afternoon around 3pm as I found the station was giving us the infamous 60 buzz on AM and FM but decline to do so.As Saturday morning the station was still a buzz as I tune in for the first WNTY run of Casey's 70's countdown show at 9AM and end up listening to WQUNs 8AM version on time shift recording later that day since I was busy at the time it aired....

I'm glad they got the bugs out of their system again and I end up listening to the rerun of Casey's show Sunday night..

BTW .Maybe they can dump the Beachhouse contest and spend the money in their engineering dept.Got plenty engineers on here that are will experienced to help out the chief eng there.If the station owners want to stay on the air and willing to pay them for it.......

Dont see any since on vandals trashing the place up over this.......Especially an oldies station.
    Last edited by WPPCProductions; 05-22-2019 at 10:18 PM.

Full Power Radio gives out a lot of cash as prizes. Since I'm a listener I follow their Spanish CHR Station BOMBA Radio on Facebook and they often post pictures of their jocks with stacks of cash to give away at remote broadcasts - mainly at Sprint Stores. Twice in 2018 they did a "song of the day" contest on both 102.9 The Whale and Soft Rock 106.5 WBMW. They gave away $1000/day on both stations weekdays for 6 weeks. They also have The Radio 104.1 Purse Party where listeners can win luxury purses at an event at Crystal Bee's in Southington.

This is pure speculation, but perhaps the beach house belongs to John Fuller. (Maybe his personal residence?) But I was discussing this giveaway with a co-worker today and we both agree $5000 is a lot of money for a week at a beach house. Maybe $1500 for food, booze, and weed. (Oops. Did I say that last one out loud?)

As for engineers. Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't Scott Baron WDRC's engineer during the Buckley Days? I thought he was the local engineer for WDRC and Tom Ray was the corporate engineer and was based at WOR In NYC. If I'm right then Full Power Radio must have inherited him when they bought WDRC AM/FM from Connoisseur.
    Brammy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast