• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

TOH Question

in Lake Success you do not get WKTU at a City Grade signal. It comes through as more like a Grade A signal, but definitely not City Grade (as Lake Success is 25 miles from NYC).
Lake Success is about 15 miles from downtown Manhattan. 6000 watts at over 1300 feet should be able to provide city grade signal for more than 15 miles.

All the Miami TV Stations list themselves as (an example of their NBC Station) WTVJ Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. My assumption is that the Miami stations? Antenna Farm is in Pembroke Pines (between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale).

I just was always curious if WKTU meant WKTU Lake Success, New York or WKTU Lake Success/New York (as if it was a dual COL) even though in Lake Success you do not get WKTU at a City Grade signal. It comes through as more like a Grade A signal, but definitely not City Grade (as Lake Success is 25 miles from NYC).

Nearly all of the Miami TV transmitter sites are near I95 around the Dade-Broward county line. The TV market is definitely Miami-Ft Lauderdale, so irrespective of the city of license, thy include both cities in the ID.

WKTU, even in the old transmitter location on the World Trade roof, had to city grade Lake Success. Now, on the ESB, they are quite solid. Back in 1979, I signed a purchase agreement on behalf of Pueblo International with Friendly Frost to buy WTFM and as part of due diligence we did a number of field strength readings and had even explored non-directional operation with Jules Cohen and looked into a move to the ESB.

I work in Lake Success and cannot get any of the NYC stations inside my metal office building. If at our distance, the signals from ESB are City Grade, in building reception of the NYC stations would be possible. FM reception is only possible if you go near a Window. If not, all you get is 92.7 from North Shore Towers, 90.3 from Nassau Community College and 98.3 from the Hempstead/Roosevelt border.

Has KTU, WPAT and WNYC ever considered going back to 1WTC, where they can go full power, rather than slightly reduced at ESB? Because of the reduced power on WNYC, their HD coverage of WQXR on WNYC HD2 breaks up more on my car stereo. I live on the Nassau/Suffolk border on the South Shore (Massapequa Park) and WNYC HD2 rarely stays on, whereas WAXQ, WLTW, WCBS's HD Signals are steady, whereas it is hard to maintain an HD lock on WNYC HD2 as they are at less than 6KW analog (thus I assume their HD is also lower power).

Last edited:
I work in Lake Success and cannot get any of the NYC stations inside my metal office building. If at our distance, the signals from ESB are City Grade, in building reception of the NYC stations would be possible. FM reception is only possible if you go near a Window. If not, all you get is 92.7 from North Shore Towers, 90.3 from Nassau Community College and 98.3 from the Hempstead/Roosevelt border.

The "city grade" signal of every ESB commercial FM reaches beyond Lake Success, generally ending on an arc between Glen Cove, Hempstead and Baldwin. The 60 dbu reaches to an arc drawn intersecting Wyandanch and Greenlawn.

Being inside a metal building is no guarantee of reception, even if you are just a few miles from the transmitter. Look up "Faraday Shield" online.

Has KTU, WPAT and WNYC ever considered going back to 1WTC, where they can go full power, rather than slightly reduced at ESB? Because of the reduced power on WNYC, their HD coverage of WQXR on WNYC HD2 breaks up more on my car stereo. I live on the Nassau/Suffolk border on the South Shore (Massapequa Park) and WNYC HD2 rarely stays on, whereas WAXQ, WLTW, WCBS's HD Signals are steady, whereas it is hard to maintain an HD lock on WNYC HD2 as they are at less than 6KW analog (thus I assume their HD is also lower power).

WKTU had to go to considerable effort to get to the ESB. They had been directional at the World Trades, and did not like that. WPAT will likely want to stay at the ESB now that they got on the ESB, even with a little power loss. The ESB is simply a better site for covering the NYC metro, while the 1 WTC site "wastes" coverage over areas south in Jersey that are not in the metro, and does not cover the upstate counties or the little bit of CT that are in the MSA.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom