Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TOH Question

Two stations ID in the Hartford radio market as "Waterbury/Hartford": WWYZ-FM 92.5 (Country) and WMRQ-FM 104.1 (Alternative). Technically, they only have to say Waterbury. A similar thing is always done for New Britain/Hartford on FM radio and TV. WRCH-FM 100.5 (A/C) and WVIT-TV (NBC) channel 30 are licensed to New Britain. The only station which is actually dual-licensed here is WKSS-FM 95.7 (CHR/Top 40) of Hartford/Meriden.

The ID rule is pretty much the only one left and there is still much confusion as a result of a prejudice with the COL in most cases. It has been buried, sliced, and diced in every creative way a human could think of to do it. BUT, it is definitively "WXXX, NEW CITY", WXXX-FM, NEW CITY". Put anything else in the front, or back you want. "WQHT, Lake Success/New York City" is fine.

It is legally, whatever it says on the license.

As a listener, you wouldn't know it unless you did some surfing of the FCC.org website.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!
    Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta! Spring Training Home of the Sa-ra-so-ta! Orioles. www.myteamsuspenders.com and tell us you read it here for free shipping of your favorite sports team.

Quote Originally Posted by Wimmmex View Post
    The most blatant burying of a city of license was this example of WGNG in (Pawtucket) RHODE ISLAND! (No one wan'ted to be associated with "Pawtucket".)

I think they actually got cited for it by the FCC.
    That's a perfectly acceptable ID.
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

Quote Originally Posted by badjef View Post
    The ID rule is pretty much the only one left and there is still much confusion as a result of a prejudice with the COL in most cases. It has been buried, sliced, and diced in every creative way a human could think of to do it. BUT, it is definitively "WXXX, NEW CITY", WXXX-FM, NEW CITY". Put anything else in the front, or back you want. "WQHT, Lake Success/New York City" is fine.

It is legally, whatever it says on the license.

As a listener, you wouldn't know it unless you did some surfing of the FCC.org website.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!
    There was a time when you had to petition the FCC for a dual-city COL. I used to work for a station that kept a telegram from the FCC in the license book granting permission to ID as "Mesa/Phoenix." It's no longer required to ask permission (as long as Mesa came first) but they kept it in the license book anyway.

Meanwhile, the TV station licensed to Mesa must have ID'ed as Phoenix-Mesa for 40 years before the current corporate VP of engineering came to town to help move the studio, saw the ID roll by, and ordered them to immediately fix the Chyron to say Mesa-Phoenix. That should tell you what kind of a priority the ID rule is for the FCC. If your nose is clean, they're not going to make an effort to ding you, but if you don't get the ID right they'll assume you don't do other things right and they're more likely to inspect you.
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
    On the television side, THIRTEEN's ID very cleverly dissolves the "ARK" in "NEWARK," its COL, into " YORK" to yield "WNET NEW YORK."
    WNET's TOH ID is interesting. With radio, a verbal ID lasts a certain amount of time, but when an id is animated on TV, how long does it have to be displayed?

I'm not sure there is a definitive answer for that. Could you place it in a frame of video, such as the movie theater practice?

The fact that "WNET Newark is there", the dissolve of the "ark" into New York is fine since it started with the legal ID in the first place. I have never seen it in the rules that an ID can not be animated.

I never saw where you couldn't use a political logo as a wiper, either, but...

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!
    Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta! Spring Training Home of the Sa-ra-so-ta! Orioles. www.myteamsuspenders.com and tell us you read it here for free shipping of your favorite sports team.

Quote Originally Posted by johndavis View Post
    There was a time when you had to petition the FCC for a dual-city COL. I used to work for a station that kept a telegram from the FCC in the license book granting permission to ID as "Mesa/Phoenix." It's no longer required to ask permission (as long as Mesa came first) but they kept it in the license book anyway.

Meanwhile, the TV station licensed to Mesa must have ID'ed as Phoenix-Mesa for 40 years before the current corporate VP of engineering came to town to help move the studio, saw the ID roll by, and ordered them to immediately fix the Chyron to say Mesa-Phoenix. That should tell you what kind of a priority the ID rule is for the FCC. If your nose is clean, they're not going to make an effort to ding you, but if you don't get the ID right they'll assume you don't do other things right and they're more likely to inspect you.
    The dual-city ID is fine but I find it totally unnecessary. Don't box yourself to anything you don't want to do in the future. What I mean by that is that if you place "-FM" in the calls, somebody else may not be able to use it on FM, but it doesn't protect the root call sign. It is why WNBC-TV dropped the "-TV" after the sale of 660. They had to apply to the FCC to drop the "-TV" in order to maintain the root.

Besides, let's say your dual-city name changes? You would have to apply for the change to reflect the new name. That gives you 2 targets. Just have one and make nice with the community of the second. They will like you better for voluntarily including them.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

That's a perfectly acceptable ID.
    Perfectly acceptable on paper and in print...but not the way it sounded on the air! LOL!

If it was perfectly acceptable, they wouldn't have gotten cited.

(Listen to the jingle.)

There was a time when you had to petition the FCC for a dual-city COL.
    That is, if you wanted the added city to be part of your license.

There was never a rule to simply add worc (cities) the the end of your legal ID.

All the Miami TV Stations list themselves as (an example of their NBC Station) WTVJ Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. My assumption is that the Miami stations? Antenna Farm is in Pembroke Pines (between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale).

I just was always curious if WKTU meant WKTU Lake Success, New York or WKTU Lake Success/New York (as if it was a dual COL) even though in Lake Success you do not get WKTU at a City Grade signal. It comes through as more like a Grade A signal, but definitely not City Grade (as Lake Success is 25 miles from NYC).

It's not a dual COL. However the antenna has been in Manhattan for 50 years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast