Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TOH Question

TOH Question

When WKTU does their TOH, they say WKTU Lake Success New York. Do they mean Lake Success, NY or are they implying “Lake Success and NY” as they technically serve the NYC Area? For example Z100 says “WHTZ Newark/New York City.” I was always curious if they mean WKTU Lake Success/NYC or WKTU Lake Success, NY.

The rule is "call sign, community of license," with no explicit requirement to give the state as well as the community name. So I'd read the actual ID part as "WKTU Lake Success" and the "New York" as being a tag to the actual ID. You can hear it either way, and both interpretations are legal.
    All kinds of good stuff over at http://www.fybush.com

Back when that frequency was occupied by WYNY, they ID'd as "Lake Success/New York City."

Seems to me WAPP did their ID the same way.

It can also be an intentional dual entendre.
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

It's a throwback to the WTFM days and the towers along the LIE in Fresh Meadows. Actual city of license was just over the Nassau boarder in lake success.

On the television side, THIRTEEN's ID very cleverly dissolves the "ARK" in "NEWARK," its COL, into " YORK" to yield "WNET NEW YORK."
    Plugged into the electric radio

Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
    On the television side, THIRTEEN's ID very cleverly dissolves the "ARK" in "NEWARK," its COL, into " YORK" to yield "WNET NEW YORK."
    The most blatant burying of a city of license was this example of WGNG in (Pawtucket) RHODE ISLAND! (No one wan'ted to be associated with "Pawtucket".)

I think they actually got cited for it by the FCC.

Listen here (about 3:05)

https://youtu.be/1om_k9H0-7s?t=182

Even their logo simply emphasized "Rhode Island"

WBYQ now WQQK right after it’s purchase by Moony (WMAK) in 1976, reversed the audio phase on one it channels just for the Hendersonville part of the ID so all you heard on a mono FM radio was:

WBYQ ---- Nashville.

I didn’t have a stereo FM radio but I was told you could hear Hendersonville in a set of headphones. IIRC the FCC didn’t like that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wimmmex View Post
    The most blatant burying of a city of license was this example of WGNG in (Pawtucket) RHODE ISLAND! (No one wan'ted to be associated with "Pawtucket".)
    I'm surprised WGNG didn't append "Providence" to its legal ID. After all, where would Rhode Island be without Providence?

I'm reminded of the deceptive ID of the short-lived CKMR (93.9 MHz) in Windsor, Ontario. Owing to differences in Canadian regulations, the station's TOH ID was a rushed and hushed voice announcing, "More 94 Detroit Windsor." Meanwhile, the jingles intoned such things as, "Motor City weather …" and "More 94, The Motor City."
    Plugged into the electric radio

In the early 90's, the aforementioned WGNG/Pawtucket, RI was WICE airing country music, and at that time their ID was "W-I-C-E (pawtucket) PROVIDENCE!" Hard to get the emphasis there, but 'Pawtucket' was buried between the sung calls and capital city.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast