• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

97.3 The Fan Applies for Four New Booster Stations

Ryan Williams

Star Participant
The Fan (KWFN) has applied for four new FM booster stations in North County. They are in Ramona, Escondido (from Black Mountain, which will also help in parts of Rancho Bernardo and Rancho Santa Fe), San Marcos (plus much of Vista from Indian Ridge), and Encinitas. All of the big FMs in San Diego have challenges due to the topography, but the signals from Soledad tend to perform much better in North County compared to KWFN (and KHTS-FM etc.) from my experience. I had trouble listening to the Padres on KWFN in these booster locations this week. Hopefully these boosters will help.

KWFN does have one existing licensed booster in La Jolla, but I am not sure it is currently operating.

The Fan (KWFN) has applied for four new FM booster stations in North County. They are in Ramona, Escondido (from Black Mountain, which will also help in parts of Rancho Bernardo and Rancho Santa Fe), San Marcos (plus much of Vista from Indian Ridge), and Encinitas. All of the big FMs in San Diego have challenges due to the topography, but the signals from Soledad tend to perform much better in North County compared to KWFN (and KHTS-FM etc.) from my experience. I had trouble listening to the Padres on KWFN in these booster locations this week. Hopefully these boosters will help.

KWFN does have one existing licensed booster in La Jolla, but I am not sure it is currently operating.

KWFN-1 is just an APP, so there's a total of 5.. not 4

You are correct. The La Jolla booster was applied for back in the beginning of March and has not been granted yet. I wonder if there are any more locations forthcoming.

I seems as if at least one of the boosters may be on as I've received reception of 97.3 in an area where it has been spotty in the past.

Near San Marcos in North County the RDS reads "KWFN-W" - unlike what has been normally seen previously from the main signal:

"KWFN-FM San Diego's Sports Station" or similar wording.

I seems as if at least one of the boosters may be on as I've received reception of 97.3 in an area where it has been spotty in the past.

Near San Marcos in North County the RDS reads "KWFN-W" - unlike what has been normally seen previously from the main signal:

That would be nice! I’ll be driving into town tonight from Phoenix and staying up in interior Carlsbad / Oceanside where 97.3 has severe signal limitations from the hills and mountains blocking the signal from the Emerald Hills neighborhood of San Diego. I’ll have to check it out and see if the signal has improved with the new booster!

That's typically how they set the boosters up, at least during testing - different suffix letters on the RDS for each booster. I was just in Boston over the weekend, listening to the "WXRV-W" booster in Waltham, MA that relays WXRV 92.5 from Andover.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom