• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Should AM stations be allowed to go all-digital?

I saw this article the other day: https://radioink.com/2019/03/28/should-all-am-signals-flip-to-digital/

Like me, I know a lot of people here care about AM radio. Over the years I have lamented the fact that the FCC didn't do more to protect AM when it started its decline. But the fact is, the band is in terrible shape due to neglect and technology. I don't know how the all-digital test has gone in the DC area, but my understanding is that the digital signal is more solid than the hybrid digital that just hasn't worked well on AM. I've seen other suggestions that all AM stations move to an expanded FM band. I feel like that's unrealistic because a lot of AM owners can't afford to build a new transmission facility. Not only is this idea voluntary for owners, I believe it would let them use their current facility with an upgrade. It's not perfect, but at this point I'm not sure AM stations have much to lose.

Not to mention that no one owns any digital radios. It would take many years for the population to catch up.

Not to mention that these stations would be required to pay the digital music royalty, which is pretty substantial.

Not to mention that AM stations can go all digital simply by streaming on the internet.

AM stations can file an experimental application with the FCC to see how it would work. There are several around the country doing that right now.

Not to mention that these stations would be required to pay the digital music royalty, which is pretty substantial.

Stations using HD are already digital, and the HD Radio signals are not charged at the higher digital royalty rate. All that is being done here is considering dropping the analog signal and leaving the already existing digital signal.

Stations using HD are already digital, and the HD Radio signals are not charged at the higher digital royalty rate. All that is being done here is considering dropping the analog signal and leaving the already existing digital signal.

You think that if the analog aspect disappears, the recording industry won't challenge?

They're angry now...this would add more wood to the fire.

They need to do something soon. All digital seems like a good effort to make something of AM.
As it stands now, the technology is inferior, and the programming is mostly useless.
It needs to sound good and offer good programming. Plus, you need to train people under 45 that AM actually exists.
Other than in autos, to people actually buy radios anymore?

Other than in autos, do people actually buy radios anymore?

Depends on what you call a radio. For some, the smart speaker has become the new radio. But it doesn't have an antenna, and doesn't receive AM & FM. It's an internet radio. So if you listen to internet radio, you own a digital radio.

We have been right here before with previous “Great White Hope(s)”.

AM Stereo

AMAX

IBOC

I’ve used all above and in two cases, worked on facilities thus equipped. All required strong, clean signals at the receiver end and new radios.

When IBOC went live fifteen years ago it looked like a savior to MW. The stumbling block was the need for a new radio.

It never got integrated into the typical home products that people still bought a decade ago such a HT receivers and a range of clock radios. Today we are left with the car as the only application where IBOC hasn’t withered. With the carmaker emphasis on making every other source as easy as OTA radio, how long will that last –or matter.

“Digital AM” is a misnomer. There is no amplitude modulation left. A low frequency signal @25Hz is injected on the digital program just so the system can stay locked an un-muted.

How many current AM owners have the will to eliminate what listeners they have and the resources to deal with the requirements of digital conversion.

There may be a few big operators who own enough FM signals they can park some current successful AM content on while waiting for the digital listeners to catch-on.

Many of the AM facilities that need a savior are so degenerated that you are looking at a from-the-ground-up rebuild.

As with AM IBOC, on the consumer end, none of the portable devices currently offered would be suited to the receiving needs of an MW-based digital scheme. Self-generated noise, no suitable antenna, additional power consumption and licensing fee.

IMO to the extent that aural-only entertainment continues to be viable, it is FM and I.P. delivered.

LCG

We have been right here before with previous “Great White Hope(s)”.

AM Stereo

AMAX

IBOC

I’ve used all above and in two cases, worked on facilities thus equipped. All required strong, clean signals at the receiver end and new radios.

When IBOC went live fifteen years ago it looked like a savior to MW. The stumbling block was the need for a new radio.

It never got integrated into the typical home products that people still bought a decade ago such a HT receivers and a range of clock radios. Today we are left with the car as the only application where IBOC hasn’t withered. With the carmaker emphasis on making every other source as easy as OTA radio, how long will that last –or matter.

“Digital AM” is a misnomer. There is no amplitude modulation left. A low frequency signal @25Hz is injected on the digital program just so the system can stay locked an un-muted.

How many current AM owners have the will to eliminate what listeners they have and the resources to deal with the requirements of digital conversion.

There may be a few big operators who own enough FM signals they can park some current successful AM content on while waiting for the digital listeners to catch-on.

Many of the AM facilities that need a savior are so degenerated that you are looking at a from-the-ground-up rebuild.

As with AM IBOC, on the consumer end, none of the portable devices currently offered would be suited to the receiving needs of an MW-based digital scheme. Self-generated noise, no suitable antenna, additional power consumption and licensing fee.

IMO to the extent that aural-only entertainment continues to be viable, it is FM and I.P. delivered.

LCG

Sangean makes several portable HD radios that are reasonably priced. They are available, although your greater point -- that the majority of people probably don't know about them, or even care (in the day of smart phones and smart speakers) -- is well taken.

Sangean makes several portable HD radios that are reasonably priced. They are available, although your greater point -- that the majority of people probably don't know about them, or even care (in the day of smart phones and smart speakers) -- is well taken.

Some of this is similar to the audiophile experience of the 50s. FM was available on component stereo systems for 20 years before it became popular. It didn't matter. Until something becomes mainstreamed, it's something enjoyed by a small number of people. It probably doesn't help that the electronics manufacturing business is based mainly in China.

The future of AM listening is likely exclusively in cars. People can stream at home and will do so rather than tune in interference-plagued analog AM broadcasts on a separate device. Virtually no one is buying a separate device to receive HD radio at home. Analog FM translators can keep AMs afloat for awhile and justify their existence. But in newer cars in locations where cell phone reception is spotty or non-existent, all digital AM will be on equal footing with FM and satellite. In fact, WWFD's all-digital signal sounds better than SiriusXM off of the satellites. So that's the premise that all-digital AM is based on.

WWFD in Frederick MD turned on a limited-range analog FM translator to cover their city of license, though listeners to the west of the AM no longer have analog coverage. Their digital coverage reports have been encouraging, and they just installed a new transmitter that adds stereo and graphics to the all-digital package. I'm listening right now - I can't see the graphics, but the stereo sound is quite good through speakers (I have a home HD tuner - here's my previous reception report).

To implement all-digital AM on WWFD, Hubbard has put some money into the new transmitter and improving the antenna and transmitting plant. Will the economics of going all-digital work for smaller AMs or will the AM band eventually be bought up by bigger operators and digitized? As the number of HD car radios increases and analog AM listeners continue to decline, this appears to be the new landscape for AM.

Some of the bigger AM operators may be able to maintain the analog status quo for awhile longer, but for everyone else on the AM band, FM translators and holding on until the viability of all-digital operation increases the values of AM properties may be the only future options.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom