Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salem starting to trim stations?

Quote Originally Posted by gr8oldies View Post
    All Christian denominations don't prohibit alcohol.

The largest one (Roman Catholicism) certainly doesn't, nor do the majority of Protestant sects. I'm not even sure a blanket prohibition is in Southern Baptist dogma, but the denomination does have its share of teetotalers. It could be that only minor fundamentalist churches and the Latter-Day Saints (Mormons, although they don't want to be called that anymore) expressly forbid alcohol consumption.

Now, are all of Salem's executives Southern Baptists or do they come from all over the conservative Protestant spectrum?

If I were to hazard a guess, the execs likely attend a variety of non-denominational protestant churches, mega- or otherwise. Last I knew the SBC had a blanket prohibition (though the claim is the individual churches are autonomous). In the United Methodist Church, no alcohol was allowed on church grounds or functions, and I think it may be officially prohibited in the Book of Discipline but people who attend do drink if they so desire.

Yes, the drunkest I ever got was at a Catholic festival. The folks in my hometown brought that love of beer over from Germany with them. Folks there didn't have any qualms about minors drinking---even young minors.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    The largest one (Roman Catholicism) certainly doesn't, nor do the majority of Protestant sects. I'm not even sure a blanket prohibition is in Southern Baptist dogma, but the denomination does have its share of teetotalers. It could be that only minor fundamentalist churches and the Latter-Day Saints (Mormons, although they don't want to be called that anymore) expressly forbid alcohol consumption.

Now, are all of Salem's executives Southern Baptists or do they come from all over the conservative Protestant spectrum?

I'd the Salem folks are simply broadcasters that utilized the niche of Christian radio to position themselves. I've worked a Christian radio station where only 2 of the 8 attended church regularly. It was simply a format.

Selling KTEK

Quote Originally Posted by Mediafrog+ View Post
    Saw that Salem is selling WSPZ in Washington, D.C. Various reports have said the company is trimming non-strategic assets.

While I don’t think KKHT or KNTH are going anywhere, I have to wonder about KTEK. But who would buy an AM daytimer here when the market has plenty of basket cases.

WSPZ sold for only $750,000, and that is for a 35kw daytime signal that would appear to be pretty solid in the immediate D.C. metro area. The 5kw night signal misses a lot of the market.

KTEK does have a translator, but it is basically a Brazoria County signal, nothing further.

With Salem and Urban One in the mood to dump stations, the impending sale of the Cox Radio group, speculation about Cumulus and KRBE, EMF on the prowl as well as the ongoing Liberman bankruptcy, we might be in for some interesting times here.
    Am told KTEK for sale $4-5 million. Doubt will get anywhere close to that.

Quote Originally Posted by foldap View Post
    Am told KTEK for sale $4-5 million. Doubt will get anywhere close to that.
    You were told wrong. Salem has no plans to sell the Houston cluster. I was privy to the conversation.
    Operations Manager, Salem Radio Houston: AM1070, THE ANSWER KNTH, Business 1110 KTEK and; 100.7 The Word KKHT, Houston. [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckTiller View Post
    You were told wrong. Salem has no plans to sell the Houston cluster. I was privy to the conversation.
    Of course station staffs, including top management, often find out about sales along with everyone else. Top level corporate honchos withhold information all the time, it's just part of business. And once again, KKHT and KNTH aren't going anywhere. The KTEK fate will depend on whether it is bringing in sufficient revenue with its brokered time programming model.

Quote Originally Posted by Mediafrog+ View Post
    Of course station staffs, including top management, often find out about sales along with everyone else. Top level corporate honchos withhold information all the time, it's just part of business. And once again, KKHT and KNTH aren't going anywhere. The KTEK fate will depend on whether it is bringing in sufficient revenue with its brokered time programming model.
    KTEK does very well with the time brokered programming. It virtually has no staff.
    Operations Manager, Salem Radio Houston: AM1070, THE ANSWER KNTH, Business 1110 KTEK and; 100.7 The Word KKHT, Houston. [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckTiller View Post
    KTEK does very well with the time brokered programming. It virtually has no staff.
    Many stations use the “virtual staff” model these days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12