Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 98.5 FM playing classic hits. Translator or pirate?

Quote Originally Posted by swhyde1980 View Post
    EDIT: CONFIRMED! KARR has flipped formats, and did flip on the upgraded translator station. Nice! (Wish I could edit the headline)
    Wait, STOP THE PRESSES!

Quote Originally Posted by bossbill View Post
    One can learn a lot by simply utilizing the FCC website. On the other hand, conjecture and speculation can be so much more amusing.
    And the FCC database shows KARR-AM 1460 using several towers and 2.5 KW at night -- a situation that hasn't existed in a couple years. Next.

Database also shows "Application List" and permission to operate under an STA ("Special Temporary Authority" for the Ron Bailee dropouts). Also shows name of licensee of KARR and of the FM translator (separate licensees).
    KSWW (AC) "Sunny" 102.1-101.1 -- KJET (Hot AC) "The Jet" 105.7-93.1 -- KANY (Hot Country) "Bigfoot" 107.3 -- KBKW (NewsTalk) "The Talk of Grays Harbor" 1450-100.5 -- KSWW HD-2 (Classic Rock) "The Quake" 103.9 -- KSWW HD-3 "Timber Country" 94.7<br />Keeping radio locally-owned on the Washington Coast.<br />Still using a microphone - 6:10-7:00 am - www.kbkw.com

Quote Originally Posted by bossbill View Post
    ("Special Temporary Authority" for the Ron Bailee dropouts)
    Ha Ha! Flashback alert!

As I recall, the KGNW translator came on in the summer of 2017. From north Seattle I could easily null it and get KAFE.

I see that "Sunnylands" has filed to move the KARR translator to Capitol Hill. Perhaps they will be able to block out Victoria and, uh, Central Park (!) better this way? I dunno. Pretty crowded frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by The New Chico View Post
    I see that "Sunnylands" has filed to move the KARR translator to Capitol Hill. Perhaps they will be able to block out Victoria and, uh, Central Park (!) better this way? I dunno. Pretty crowded frequency.
    And don’t forget Radio Free Olympia...which proudly broadcasts with 200 flamethrowing pirate watts on...according to their website, 98.5!

Either anarchists can’t agree on updating a website with a new frequency in the logo (but still run the station), they got busted (yeah right), or they are in the midst of one of the greatest exercises in futility with KNBQ running way more power right down the road from them for the past few years.

Either way, 98.5 has become a very congested frequency these days...
    As we used to say down in ol' Mexico City...A.M.F.!

Ten years ago 98.5 in the Puget Sound was CIOC and ONLY CIOC, 'The Ocean.' And now look at how crowded that channel has gotten. KARR's translator moves to Capitol Hill, there will be plenty of picket-fencing between them and KNBQ and the aforementioned CIOC. I can just see the mess that channel will become, just within a few miles of Capitol Hill.
    782 AM's in the log, 663 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: KATW-101.5 Lewiston ID, 6/25/19
    Last New AM Log: 1570 WFRL Freeport IL, 3/3/19

Makes FM more exciting.

At some point here in Bremerton we're about to lose CKKQ, because KBRO 1490 has a construction permit for a translator on 100.3 FM. It'll mark their return to the FM band since they were on 106.9 FM many moons ago before I was even born.
    Last edited by swhyde1980; 07-13-2019 at 09:27 AM.
    DX'er, and former master control operator at KBTC-TV and KCPQ-TV.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast