• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KKBQ, KGLK, KHPT and KTHT about to hit the market

As expected, Cox is exploring the sale of its radio division: https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta...erprises-exploring-options-for-its-radio.html

It is a safe bet the group will be sold. Same "exploration" talk before the TV division was sold.

I would think the Houston cluster would stay intact. Two questions: Would a new owner keep the 106.9/107.5 simulcast? The Eagle does very well, but fresh ownership might want to try an additional revenue stream. Also Country Legends might be at risk; while it has a loyal audience it also skews very old.

I don't see any changes for KKBQ, other than tweaks to help regain some lost ground against KILT-FM.

Should be interesting.

Who’s left that is not at an ownership cap or not in bankruptcy that could afford to purchase them all?

Based on what they did with the TV, they just want someone with cash. They feel they have the management expertise. So they want someone who will buy the group as it is, keep it intact, and give them a lot of cash. That means none of the current radio groups.

Feels like a natural fit for Cumulus to build a cluster around KRBE. No doubt it would add significant cash flow to their existing Houston operations, but I'm not sure if they're in the shopping mode.

Cox has reportedly been pitching the radio group to Apollo, which, of course, bought the TV group and the Dayton radio stations.

In addition to what The Big A mentions, the next generation of the Cox family would apparently like to stay involved in the business. Everything I've heard is that they'd rather merge and become minority owners than sell outright. Not sure if that will be possible with the radio stations, but they’ll no doubt try that path first.

I would love to see a solid operator like a Hubbard or a Bonneville enter the Houston market. A Beasley-Cox combination could also be interesting (they would only have to divest in Tampa), I'm not sure Beasley is large enough to take all of Cox's markets though. I imagine Beasley would love to re-enter Miami and add Jacksonville and Orlando to their existing Florida holdings.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom