• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Chicago Radio Ratings

Here is a question for you then. The over 55 group seems to be highly discriminated against in the radio universe for God knows how long. Why?

Huh? There are lots of formats on the radio for people over 55. Not all of them are commercial stations. Lots of non-commercial stations for over-55s.

And they're all either NPR, religous or elevator music.

The upcoming 55+ group (in the next ten years or so as I'm in that group), want nothing to do with that, which is what I am saying.

Here is a question for you then. The over 55 group seems to be highly discriminated against in the radio universe for God knows how long. Why? I'm not 55 (and still a ways away), but I think what a 55 y/o liked several generations ago isn't the same as a 55 y/o likes now. Meaning, the demo has evolved. As such, this opens up more potential format options, one of them a classic rocker or even more modern Adult Contemporary type formats. This isn't the day where 55+ listen to chamber music anymore. :D And most in that age range have actual money to spend in bigger things and in larger quantities on products and services than the 18 - 34 group that lives on vape options, social things and alchohol while still living in their 55+ parents basement living well beyond their credit limits.

The issue is not the radio universe. It is the advertising universe which determines what stations and what target ages get bought. In general, advertiser who use ratings to buy campaigns understand that the older consumers get, the more it costs in advertising to change brand preferences or to bring about a buying decision. So in many case, the return on the investment is not good, while money spent on younger demos produces more profits.

Many 25-54 stations have lots of spillage into 55 and over. But the stations can't make money on that, because nearly no advertiser looks at 55+´in the ratings data.

Last edited:

The upcoming 55+ group (in the next ten years or so as I'm in that group), want nothing to do with that, which is what I am saying.

Or AC or Country or Classic Hits or Classic Rock or Urban AC or Spanish Adult Hits or....

Here is a question for you then. The over 55 group seems to be highly discriminated against in the radio universe for God knows how long. Why? I'm not 55 (and still a ways away), but I think what a 55 y/o liked several generations ago isn't the same as a 55 y/o likes now. Meaning, the demo has evolved. As such, this opens up more potential format options, one of them a classic rocker or even more modern Adult Contemporary type formats. This isn't the day where 55+ listen to chamber music anymore. :D And most in that age range have actual money to spend in bigger things and in larger quantities on products and services than the 18 - 34 group that lives on vape options, social things and alchohol while still living in their 55+ parents basement living well beyond their credit limits.

You may be interested in the following article, which addresses some of your issues about targets outside the key demographic:

Under 25 and Over 54 The Power of Demographic Outliers

Tune your radio to 87.7 WRME and tell me who they're targeting. That's just one example.

NPR is not one thing. Some NPR stations play adult alternative music, which targets over-55s.

Tune your radio to 87.7 WRME and tell me who they're targeting. That's just one example.

NPR is not one thing. Some NPR stations play adult alternative music, which targets over-55s.

Already listen to it. Wish it had a better signal...

However, my tastes do vary. I like a little of everything (well, except country and rap) and to tend to middle around rock, but still my point being that age demo has evolved.

Now maybe in the next 10 years or so, I'll have a complete epiphany and suddenly want to listen to elevator music...

Internet streaming pretty much has it all, whatever your format preferences are. Radio barely offers anything I wanna listen to anymore, so I go to satellite radio and web streaming for all my audio entertainment needs and don't have to be limited to "demographic-friendly" programming anymore.

Internet streaming pretty much has it all, whatever your format preferences are. Radio barely offers anything I wanna listen to anymore, so I go to satellite radio and web streaming for all my audio entertainment needs and don't have to be limited to "demographic-friendly" programming anymore.

But satellite radio is pay radio, and so are some streaming services -- eventually to become most or all streaming services, if certain radio industry insiders on this board are to be believed. (Since it is in the broadcast industry's interest to have free internet music go away, I take a wait-and-see attitude on those predictions, but I put them out there just to acknowledge that they exist.) So far, the American public has been slow to come around to the idea that radio is worth paying for.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom