• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wemq 92.1 in horsham pa is finally on the air at full power

WVLT really has a problem, I was driving in the Cherry Hill area yesterday and they were completely wiped out by this new signal. WVLT was always a strong signal in that area in the car.

They have gone from dismissing interference complaints to now actively soliciting interference complaints
Everyone getting interference should complain here!
https://www.wvlt.com/interference

Keep in mind the new FCC rules for complaining about interference. Just say that you live and/or work somewhere within the 45 dBu contour of WVLT. Together we can get this waste of a station shut down

I just filled out the complaint form, we shall see, what is odd is they seem much stronger then what their power claims.

The terrain is favorable in that area for 92.1 to reach south and eas. It's like it's on a 500 feet tower to the southeast because Philly and south Jersey is near sea level.

The terrain is favorable in that area for 92.1 to reach south and eas. It's like it's on a 500 feet tower to the southeast because Philly and south Jersey is near sea level.

The WVLT antenna is mounted on one of the two towers of its sister AM station WMIZ. A single half-wave tower for a station at 1270 would be around 385 feet high. WVLT has its antenna on the side of one of the AM towers at 361 feet above ground, but its height above average terrain (HAAT) is 328 feet, which is the reference height for a Class A FM.

The maximum power for a Class A FM is 6,000 watts ERP at reference height, much less than the 50-kw limit and 492-foot reference height for Class B FM’s. Between having 1.5 times the reference height and 8.33 times the power, a full-powered Class B has about a 12.7 dB advantage over a full-powered Class A.

There are also two Class A’s with their transmitters in Philly, WPHI and WPPZ, and they don’t have nearly the reach of the Class B’s. (WPPZ is licensed to Pennsauken, NJ, but its antenna is in center city, eight feet above WMMR’s; and WPHI is licensed to Jenkintown, but its antenna is on one of the towers in the Roxborough antenna farm.)

Driving north on route 73 today with a powerful HD Sony HD in my new Ford, as soon as I passed 295 the TP then route 38, WVLT was fighting with WEMQ then they were completely wiped out. I know for a fact WVLT owned this area until WEMQs sign on. Also Cat Country is completely swallowed up by the 250w WURD translator in all of south/central Jersey, seems these new pop up move ins are eliminating once listenable signals of established stations.

Last edited:
Driving north on route 73 today with a powerful HD Sony HD in my new Ford, as soon as I passed 295 the TP then route 38, WVLT was fighting with WEMQ then they were completely wiped out. I know for a fact WVLT owned this area until WEMQs sign on. Also Cat Country is completely swallowed up by the 250w WURD translator in all of south/central Jersey, seems these new pop up move ins are eliminating once listenable signals of established stations.

I warned the WVLT management that this was going to happen 3 years ago. I presented them with a plan to refocus on the Atlantic City market since they were going to, sooner or later, lose their Philly signal. They stuck with the Philly focus.

How long do you think the Geator is going to stick around paying the rent he does when he can't be heard on his side of the River?

Carl? You still have my number. I was right then, and I'm still right now. When the other shoe drops, call me.

I warned the WVLT management that this was going to happen 3 years ago. I presented them with a plan to refocus on the Atlantic City market since they were going to, sooner or later, lose their Philly signal. They stuck with the Philly focus.

How long do you think the Geator is going to stick around paying the rent he does when he can't be heard on his side of the River?

Carl? You still have my number. I was right then, and I'm still right now. When the other shoe drops, call me.

WVLT is not, and never was a Philly station. Even before the Horsham station the signal was spotty in Camden County and Philly. It used to be pretty good on I-95 south of Street Road but practically non-existant on Route 76 thru the city and it was completely gone west of City Avenue around the curve. North of Cumberland County, it was never much more than a "catch in the car."

Another one of their main obstacles is that they can't raise the tower any higher due to the airport up the road so this presents a problem with reaching Atlantic City. With this said, it still gets into northern Delaware pretty good so i'm surprised there isn't more of a focus on Wilmington.

I'm always a bit bemused when folks get upset because an out-of-market station becomes harder to hear for one reason or another. I mean, I remember the days of catching far-away stations (WVLT being one of those) and thinking it was cool. But if the station isn't intended for the market where I'm listening, I can't really complain when I hear some static. And I certainly wouldn't expect station management to do anything about it. One would have to assume they're going to put their money and efforts into making sure the signal is listenable where the intended audience is. Or maybe I'm crazy. I could be crazy. I am probably crazy.

They blast into Del, and Elkton, MD. They're a south jersey station and that's really all. Yeah they can be heard spotty in Philly, and in AC, but unless they find a place to move their stick to, to get better AC or Philly coverage, they're stuck with what they have.

A good GM would find creative ways to market better to the areas they have indoor coverage in, but considering they're based in vineland, which is practically camden by the farm, they're in quite the predicament. It's a wonder they've been on as long as they have. Geator money will dry up fast though if he pulls out of WVLT and sticks with WTKU and WXPN.

EDIT- I love vineland, but it's not a place that's full of money for advertisers to line their pockets with. That's presumably why WVLT is begging to be a philly station, but when WDAS-AM 1480 shows up in the books and an FM station doesn't, that should be a sign. We love to talk about format changes on here, and yet no one brings up the station most likely to flip, and that has to be WVLT. They're a low signal, locally owned and in need of money. They oughta try to find the format most lucrative, and is oldies really that? I love, love what they play, but my god there's no way it's making them much money.

Here's a few ideas, not to be taken that seriously of course.
"WVLT, South Jersey's REAL Country!" (older 80s-90s country as an alternative to top 40 country on XTU)
"WVLT, Classic Alternative for South Jersey" (more of a pipe dream, late 70s-90s alternative hits)
"The Talk of South Jersey, WVLT!" (sorta like those talk FMs in delaware, syndicated at night Red Eye Radio stuff)
Put WMIZ on 92.1, South Jersey's Spanish Outlet

Last edited:
They blast into Del, and Elkton, MD. They're a south jersey station and that's really all. Yeah they can be heard spotty in Philly, and in AC, but unless they find a place to move their stick to, to get better AC or Philly coverage, they're stuck with what they have.

A good GM would find creative ways to market better to the areas they have indoor coverage in, but considering they're based in vineland, which is practically camden by the farm, they're in quite the predicament. It's a wonder they've been on as long as they have. Geator money will dry up fast though if he pulls out of WVLT and sticks with WTKU and WXPN.

EDIT- I love vineland, but it's not a place that's full of money for advertisers to line their pockets with. That's presumably why WVLT is begging to be a philly station, but when WDAS-AM 1480 shows up in the books and an FM station doesn't, that should be a sign. We love to talk about format changes on here, and yet no one brings up the station most likely to flip, and that has to be WVLT. They're a low signal, locally owned and in need of money. They oughta try to find the format most lucrative, and is oldies really that? I love, love what they play, but my god there's no way it's making them much money.

Here's a few ideas, not to be taken that seriously of course.
"WVLT, South Jersey's REAL Country!" (older 80s-90s country as an alternative to top 40 country on XTU)
"WVLT, Classic Alternative for South Jersey" (more of a pipe dream, late 70s-90s alternative hits)
"The Talk of South Jersey, WVLT!" (sorta like those talk FMs in delaware, syndicated at night Red Eye Radio stuff)
Put WMIZ on 92.1, South Jersey's Spanish Outlet

Day-unce 92.1?

Just kidding.

Oh Dance 92.1! Why the hell not haha. Like south jersey's KTU.

Oh Dance 92.1! Why the hell not haha. Like south jersey's KTU.

Dr. Michael Lynn in the mornings, Christina Joyce mid-days, Vineland can surely lure Jay Towers from FOX2 Detroit so he can handle PM drive, followed by Mojo holding down nights. It's 1995.

Agreed, WVLT is not a Philly station, BUT WEMQ is not a NJ station, so why is this flea (16 watts at 167 feet) powered waste of energy booming in the Garden state taking over everything north of Marlton which was WVLT's receivable signal before their launch. I was in the Moorestown Mall parking lot and WVLT was completely wiped out. Either they have to be running more power than authorized, or they have a heck of a downslope range, but that still wouldn't account for that coverage at that power.

WEMQ's tower is 400ft above Moorestown and 15 miles away. WVLT is 33 miles away at about 250 ft above Moorestown. 16 watts isn't much compared to 6K, but throw in some weather conditions and WEMQ could do some damage to VLT's fringe signal in that location.

A good question, has WVLT ever showed up in Philly books?

No, but it got enough response to make it worth certain advertisers to pay to be on the air.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom