• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How many FM's in the Tampa Bay area transmit in mono?

wlsl

Regular Participant
I have only noticed WZPH-LP in Z-Hills.

I have only noticed WZPH-LP in Z-Hills.

I don’t know of any others; although a few years ago, there was a station or two that had the stereo pilot light on, but were broadcasting in mono. I’m sure many people probably never even noticed, as long as they saw they stereo light on, they may have been lulled into thinking there were listening to stereo.

How would you know, since most are coming without stereo indicators.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Did drt write that it was a NEW receiver? I have a C Crane 2E. It has a stereo indicator.

My vehicle is 10 years old and it does have the stereo light; I know that many newer cars do not; but I can only go by what I have access to. My inside radios all have stereo indicators; it’s one of the things I look for as well as RDS. My main home unit which I bought new in late 2016 or early 2017 - the Tivoli Audio Music System Three has both the AM and FM band (another thing I look for) as well as a 20 hour battery backup for the radio (came in handy after Hurricane Irma) and of course a “ST” light; both of my Sangean portables (one HD) also both have the AM and FM band as well as the stereo light indicators; so as Frank rightfully mentioned there are still radios out there with the feature.

It appears that the two translators for WSRQ Sarasota are in mono. 106.9 Bradenton and 95.9 Venice

It appears that the two translators for WSRQ Sarasota are in mono.
They both transmit pilot tones.
It could be argued, though very poorly, that Mr. Lee Com does not send out any difference information to be translated.

Did drt write that it was a NEW receiver? I have a C Crane 2E. It has a stereo indicator.

I was referring to the new cars which are not showing stereo indicators of any kind.

BLASPHEMY!

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

I am guessing most of the material from SRQ is mono anyway?

I am guessing most of the material from SRQ is mono anyway?

—-
Probably so, except for lines and some ads; still I think Broadcasting in stereo often adds depth (or seems to) over mono even in mono sources.

—-
Probably so, except for lines and some ads; still I think Broadcasting in stereo often adds depth (or seems to) over mono even in mono sources.

True. All of our programming Mon - Fri is mostly mono from 8 am to 11 am as well as mono OTR from 6 am to 11 am Sun and Sat but we transmit in stereo. I experimented with mono transmissions to see if it improved the listenable signal on the fringe but since our City Grade signal covers all of the Dade City area it wasn't worth the change - especially since our music is stereo.

I'm back in Dade City from from my daughter's in Hill n' Dale. How's our favorite station doing? Can't hear it anymore in DC.

True. All of our programming Mon - Fri is mostly mono from 8 am to 11 am as well as mono OTR from 6 am to 11 am Sun and Sat but we transmit in stereo. I experimented with mono transmissions to see if it improved the listenable signal on the fringe but since our City Grade signal covers all of the Dade City area it wasn't worth the change - especially since our music is stereo.

I'm back in Dade City from from my daughter's in Hill n' Dale. How's our favorite station doing? Can't hear it anymore in DC.

It’s hard for me to tell, if WXIO is operating full power or nearly full power; that said their signal has been what I would call severely compromised by the finally on the air and tweaked for max power, WVLG 102.7 (translator); going toward Bushnell, WVLG starts coming in at point overpowering WXIO about 1 mile south of the Hernando/Sumter county line and yesterday going west toward Brooksville, I was extremely surprised that WVLG’s translator was overpowering WXIO before I even got to I-75. Yes, they are still mono.

Stereo is what sold me on FM in the first place. Since the idea of first using one microphone per ear, we have been experimenting with the best of the depth.

I grew up in the New York Market where the AM Powerhouses had signals way past the FM's. Static to me, meant the noise on FM, not AM! Internal antenna as opposed to a chrome one which would break and cut down on reception even further and provide MORE STATIC!

And who wanted to feel they were in an elevator or a dentist office? But, those were all MONO SOURCES!

For the receivers, not to be including the stereo light or playing the mono versions of the older songs in this "ear"-a of "re-mastering", is just wrong!

This all started with the millenials learning about B&W picture taking and combining the history with the cheapness of the "smart" speaker, as opposed to a device with speakerS to cut down on the cost, weight, and size of the device since Alexa only has one "mouth".

I'll go back to 1961 on this one when FM was authorized because of the stupidity of FCC decisions of 45Mc/88-108Mhz.

Give me mi musica en ESTEREO, or GIVE ME DEATH!!!

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

95.9 and 106.9 should be in stereo, we have been changing a lot of configurations and might have missed something. I will also say this there is a ton of new gear on deck getting ready to be deployed as soon as all the sites have the fiber lit up! And I cant wait.

Maybe the signal in Sarasota is weak enough that I'm blending to mono. I've tried both stations and it sounds mono to me. But then I'm used to listening to HD Radio which has superb stereo

Since the idea of first using one microphone per ear...
They eventually went with two mics in the middle with one facing left and the other facing right in order to minimize center phase cancellation on the mono channel.
Back in the 1960s, a Miami station had a weekly interview show with the host on the left and the guest on the side.
I would fade my balance knob to the opposite side from whoever was talking because I loved hearing them clear their throats, puff on cigarettes and cough, drink something, and try to get "but"s and "well"s in.
This one or This one.

Maybe the signal in Sarasota is weak enough that I'm blending to mono. I've tried both stations and it sounds mono to me. But then I'm used to listening to HD Radio which has superb stereo

I HATE "blending"!

I HATE "blending"!

I HATE "blending"!

Call me a "traditionalist"!

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

I HATE "blending"!
I HATE "blending"!
I HATE "blending"!
Call me a "traditionalist"!
Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!
Many of us have trouble
"blending" in with society... ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom