• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sky Daniels Retires from KCSN

Wow, what a coincidence. I haven't listened in quite some time but made an effort to put it on for some online listening at work today. This will be the end of an era for sure. It took an absolute pro like Sky to pull the whole thing off in the first place - there were so many obstacles for the station. Eight years later, the station has increased its power so at least SOME people can now hear it; it has properly taken its place as a taste maker station in LA right alongside (ahem, actually just above KCRW, thank you very much) and it seems to be on much more sound financial footing, as is evidenced by them choosing to sign up for a ratings subscription to validate their success.

I gotta believe the big turning point right at the beginning was when Sky brought Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers for a rare two-night stand on the last weekend in October 2011 to the tiny Plaza del Sol theater on the CSUN campus. The concerts were fantastic (The Saturday night show previously reviewed by yours truly; https://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?614331), and it generated so much buzz. You may remember that Tom and Sky's mutual good friend, uber-DJ (in his own mind at least) Jim Ladd was fired just that week from KLOS, so there was that whole angle that made the concerts even more relevant and timely. By demonstrating the little-station-that-could could pull of a major gig like that, everyone started taking the station seriously from that point on. Tom couldn't have given a bigger gift to the station and to local AAA fans everywhere.

Clearly from the article, Sky is not "retiring", he has just put in his final dues building the station, now he needs to make money in other ventures. Can't blame him a bit, I wish him great things in his future plans. He has gone well beyond the call of duty himself. Good Luck Sky!

Last edited:
Thank You, Sky Daniels for building 88.5 KCSN/and KSBR along with Jim Rondeau. I believe his lasting mark was doing the impossible by convincing Saddleback College KSBR to combine the signal in 2017. I listen almost exclusively at work in Tustin and home in Redondo Beach, and enjoying the perks of free concerts I attend from entering the "88.5 Ticket Window". Sky helped make Los Angeles/Orange County FM Radio sound innovative and FUN again. The AAA format is MY SOUNDTRACK and I'm proud to be a member and I will continue to support 88.5FM. Of course, Sky is moving on to other opportunities, and I wish him the very best. Joe G

Thank You, Sky Daniels for building 88.5 KCSN/and KSBR along with Jim Rondeau. I believe his lasting mark was doing the impossible by convincing Saddleback College KSBR to combine the signal in 2017. I listen almost exclusively at work in Tustin and home in Redondo Beach, and enjoying the perks of free concerts I attend from entering the "88.5 Ticket Window". Sky helped make Los Angeles/Orange County FM Radio sound innovative and FUN again. The AAA format is MY SOUNDTRACK and I'm proud to be a member and I will continue to support 88.5FM. Of course, Sky is moving on to other opportunities, and I wish him the very best. Joe G

Not much I can add; Best wishes to Sky Daniels for continued success and good health! I feel fortunate this radio station exists, as Joe said it's MY SOUNDTRACK also for most of my waking hours. The station's playlist I believe is and has been in good hands thanks to Mookie, the MD. Keep on keepin' on!

Sky's done excellent work with 88.5 under significant challenges. And he's built a great team there - Mookie and the rest of the team have created a very unique radio station. Here's hoping they continue to grow and succeed and best to Sky in his next endeavors.

I love the radio station! I just wish they'd rethink their stream processing setting. I'm not sure there needs to be so much compression. It's not like listeners are tuning across the dial, stopping at KCSN, because it's the loudest radio station on the dial. Maybe save that for your OTA audio. I'd listen longer, if there was a bit more openness and air to the audio on the stream. Just a thought for those at KCSN. Best of luck to Sky, in your future endeavors.

Sky assembled a wonderful KCSN and left it in good hands with Mookie (Marc Kaczor) and Jeff Penfield, among others, so I assumed the station would continue as-is. As such, am wondering about the note in LARadio today (6/7/19): "What is all the buzz about KPCC taking over KCSN in an LMA? So where would that leave KSBR, Saddleback College’s station which LMA’d itself to CSUN?"
What does this portend for the format?
What does this portend for the dual 88.5 signal sync-up?
What does this portend for perhaps being carried as well on 89.3 HD2?

It could be a positive - the marketing resources of KPCC backing the growth of the KCSN format. I don't imagine they'd want to take it to News/Talk. Interesting.

It could be a positive - the marketing resources of KPCC backing the growth of the KCSN format. I don't imagine they'd want to take it to News/Talk. Interesting.

Hard to say. Their signals overlap over LA, but KCSN reaches farther north, so they might want the signal to extend their reach.

I'm just speculating, but I'd guess their audiences are similar demographically.

Interesting timing, with Sky retiring a few months ago, and now this.

Hard to say. Their signals overlap over LA, but KCSN reaches farther north, so they might want the signal to extend their reach.

I'm just speculating, but I'd guess their audiences are similar demographically.

Interesting timing, with Sky retiring a few months ago, and now this.

Could be a really nice merger! American Public Media operates one of the most successful AAA public radio formats in the country (KCMP) and are well-endowed. This could be more of a shot at drawing listeners/members away from KCRW -- which broadcasts music in the mornings, evenings and weekends.

There is a substantial cost of acquiring new members and doing proper marketing. APM could really maximize their operations. I could see them adding KCSN on HD-2 and I don't see them switching from the AAA format.

Could be a really nice merger! American Public Media operates one of the most successful AAA public radio formats in the country

I think you may be over-reaching here. APM is not directly involved. You might be talking about Southern California Public Radio, which is a subsidiary. The rumor mentions a LMA, which is a marketing agreement, not a merger.

It's starting to make sense...KSBR Jazz went automated and It's GM Jim Rondeau left

I think you may be over-reaching here. APM is not directly involved. You might be talking about Southern California Public Radio, which is a subsidiary. The rumor mentions a LMA, which is a marketing agreement, not a merger.
I'm a fan of 89.3 "The Current" which is KCMP out of the twin cities. I enjoy listening to BOTH 88.5 and 89.3 HD2 as they keep me musically inclined. I'm sure more info will be forthcoming. I'm happy with 88.5 overall at this time. Joe G Bear

Maybe this is unrelated to the future of the station issue I pondered, but in my prior post I referenced the station being in good hands after Sky Daniel's retirement under the guidance of Mookie (Marc Kaczor) and Jeff Penfield. Now today the news breaks that acting PD JEFF PENFIELD is leaving after his six years residency at the end of this month so to relocate to DALLAS to become Manager/Radio Operations at NORTH TEXAS PUBLIC MEDIA News/Talk KERA and Triple A KKXT. Moving forward, 88.5 FM programming is solely in the hands of the excellent MARC “MOOKIE” KACZOR.

It is bittersweet news that my "Co-captain" at 88.5FM is leaving to take a position at KERA-KXT/Dallas. Jeff was the glue that was holding the station together since I left.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom