• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KSBJ Operating From New Tower?

Ryan Williams

Star Participant
KSBJ filed a "License to Cover" application over the weekend that states the new transmission facility is complete and ready. It's not clear if they have officially thrown the switch. Because it is directional, it also won't be at full-power immediately. Anyone notice any changes in reception?

I live relatively close to the new transmitter site, and can confirm it is on the air. Signal much, much stronger than the previous site. No way for me to tell if they are at full authorized power, though.

It is an omnidirectional signal, BTW, at least according to the FCC database and Radio-locator.

Congrats to KSBJ on the new, improved signal.

I believe they were operating on the new tower as early as last week, if not earlier. I was in College Station last week and KSBJ was coming in rather well... on previous trips to the area, there was no sign of KSBJ on 89.3.

It is an omnidirectional signal, BTW, at least according to the FCC database and Radio-locator.

You are absolutely correct. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that, but both the old and new pattern are both omni-directional. Thanks for correcting that.

Can also confirm that the new KSBJ facility is running HD, but there are no additional subchannels. Had wondered if they would resume carrying NGEN from the new site on an HD-2.

I’ll check tonight but if it’s on the new tower it won’t cover the Beaumont listeners as in the past. They’ll be quite unhappy.

Last edited:
I’ll check tonight but if it’s on the new tower it won’t cover the Beaumont listeners as in the past. They’ll be quite unhappy.

I don't think there are many Beaumont / PA / Orange listeners to begin with. The "old" 60 dbu did not touch the market save for a few acres at the very western edge. OTOH, the station will become a full Houston signal with the new facility; there is a gain of about 50% more people covered from the new site.

The station showed in the Bryan / CS ratings, but not in Beaumont.

I don't think there are many Beaumont / PA / Orange listeners to begin with. The "old" 60 dbu did not touch the market save for a few acres at the very western edge. OTOH, the station will become a full Houston signal with the new facility; there is a gain of about 50% more people covered from the new site.

You might be surprised. There were many of my churchgoing friends who listened to KSBJ more than any local station going back to the KTFA days here in the Triangle. They preferred it to the local stations for some reason. This could cause KLBT 88.1 to become part of the KSBJ family.

You might be surprised. There were many of my churchgoing friends who listened to KSBJ more than any local station going back to the KTFA days here in the Triangle. They preferred it to the local stations for some reason. This could cause KLBT 88.1 to become part of the KSBJ family.

Most well programmed Contemporary Christian music stations show decently in the ratings. I don't see KSBJ ever showing...

As expected, KSBJ is no longer able to be picked up in Beaumont. Perhaps they’ll work a deal with 88.1.

KSBJ has had a xlator in BCS for years..did maintenance on it in 2004

The new site looks to be at KPFTs site off West Mt Houston..lower height and lower ERP but better coverage into SW/W Houston...where the $$$ is...

KSBJ has had a xlator in BCS for years..did maintenance on it in 2004

IIRC the 93.1 translator in B/CS used to be KSBJ, but is now NGEN. Appears KWUP provides the B/CS coverage for KSBJ, although somewhat marginally.

And they have also had a full-power relay station with KWUP 92.5 FM in Navasota for a number of years as well.

Well, a Class A "full power." With the new KSBJ signal overlapping much of KWUP's coverage, I've wondered if there has been thought given to swapping the formats on 92.5 and 93.1. Probably not, but a slight possibility.

The new site looks to be at KPFTs site off West Mt Houston..lower height and lower ERP but better coverage into SW/W Houston...where the $$$ is...

Now they just need to bring back NGEN on HD-2 like it was before the move! 91.7 doesn't penetrate very well in Fort Bend County, but I guess KSBJ still wants NGEN listeners to tune there. Funny that both run HD, but they don't simulcast the other station's main channel.

Now they just need to bring back NGEN on HD-2 like it was before the move!

KSBJ hasn’t run anything on HD-2 in quite some time, well before the transmitter move. NGEN was on the HD-2 prior to Hurricane Harvey, but the transmitter suffered damage during that storm. Once it got back on the air it was without the additional subchannel.

KXNG has been in HD since it’s launch, but has never had any subchannels. It’s tranmitter also had damage during Harvey, and IIRC the HD was off for awhile. Predecessors KUHA and KTRU did not use HD.

KSBJ hasn’t run anything on HD-2 in quite some time, well before the transmitter move. NGEN was on the HD-2 prior to Hurricane Harvey, but the transmitter suffered damage during that storm. Once it got back on the air it was without the additional subchannel.

KXNG has been in HD since it’s launch, but has never had any subchannels. It’s tranmitter also had damage during Harvey, and IIRC the HD was off for awhile. Predecessors KUHA and KTRU did not use HD.

They could try interesting formats on HD2 like classic CCM, Christian rock or continue traditional CCM on HD2 during Christmas music time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom