• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sen. Elizabeth Warren pushes to break up big tech companies like Amazon and Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I think in a way it might not be a bad idea to separate the political side of social media (on BOTH sides) from the side of people who use it for updating what's going on with family and friends who don't care about the political hacks on both sides who have ruined it for them. Perhaps there should be a separate Facebook like site where political commentary isn't allowed.

Last edited:
I got to thinking in a way it might not be a bad idea to separate The political side of social media (on BOTH sides) from the side of people who use it for updating what's going on with family and friends who don't care about the political hacks on both sides who have ruined it for them. Perhaps there should be a separate Facebook like site where political commentary isn't allowed.

The problem is... just as it is with many of us on this radio board... that politics is not far removed from broadcasting or any other subject.

Want to talk about college? That brings up student loans, student debt, polarized teachers and so on.

Want to talk about your job? Increasing state taxes... regulations... EEO... and a hundred other subjects that are political come up.

In radio, it's everything from balance to ownership to music licensing... all controlled or regulated by the government.

Heck, even in "Gunsmoke" you had to keep Marshall Dillon on your side!

And, OMG, will they follow you. Some of them will find out enough to get an address or a phone number, too.

I don't get enough junk ads to get excited about it but I did invest in a good smartphone blocker and, as I have to walk right passed my garbage can when coming in from the mailbox, it is real easy to toss the paper format. I wish I could kill the freebie neighborhood "newspaper" as easily.

A good part of Radio Shack's failure is also the reason behind the end of magazines like Radio TV Experimenter, Popular Electronics, Electronics Illustrated and many more: the decline in home "workbench" electronics building and experimenting.

No longer do people go to places like Radio Shack to buy resistors and capacitors and transistors and switches and other components to assemble into a doorbell chime or intercom. Everything is now on a robot assembled, wave soldered board with parts so small you can barely see them.

Radio Shack was part of the dawn of personal computing with the Trash 80, but they did not last long in the IBM standard PC world. Same with toys and games... and nearly nobody sells radios and stereos today.

Their style of technology was a window that closed, and in most areas they were no longer relevant to changing needs and lifestyles.

I agree 100 percent.Used to subscribe and get those mags in the mail all the time.Still have them here today somewhere in the garage.Also enjoy the digital versions on your site.....

Kids today or the past two decades have no interest in building any electronic device.Maybe a few did but suffer the loss of the good ole times just walking into a will stocked Radio Shack of parts for their projects like me and others back in the day....

I agree with the projects in the latter life of those mags just turned me off with the digital miniature surface mount stuff now we see in everyday life in electronics.

Back to Amazon.Nice to see these radio kits on there.....

https://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Radio...rds=radio+kit&qid=1560880103&s=gateway&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-2P3-R...ds=radio+kit&qid=1560880103&s=gateway&sr=8-13

Give one to a kid instead of having him/her spend hours on their phones...

With everything going digital with embedded software on tiny chips,
these things just don't lend themselves to the home hobbyist the way they did
40 or 50 years ago.

Arduino...

Software-defined radios...

3D printing...

You're just not looking at the right things.

With everything going digital with embedded software on tiny chips,
these things just don't lend themselves to the home hobbyist the way they did
40 or 50 years ago.

Almost 60 .The small surface mount chips and other components dont do justice to my eyes even with a mag lens..Luckily I got a digital picture frame working tonight.I could go to Amazon and by a new one instead anytime.Was at Walmart tonight and did not see any with the video playback feature like the one I just fixed tonight...

Well, well, well. Looks like we have a two-fer.

Undercover video shot by an investigative journalist shows a Google executive basically admitting
that their goal is to do everything they possibly can to prevent Republicans from winning more elections.

https://gohmert.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=399712

And....to make the story even juicier, Google doubles-down by deleting the journalist's video
from Google-owned YouTube.

https://www.*************/tech/2019/06/24/google-censors-video-exposing-google/

Senator Warren looks more prescient with each passing day.

Myself .Just heard the news on the radio that James O'Keefe's Project Veritas got something on Google.....

Back to the topic....I agree what some of you guys said in what does Amazon got to do with big tech right up front.Need The only issue with them is their cut rate USPS rates.Maybe Sen Warren is looking at them for the cheap postage rates.Cant blame her for doing that....

It's not against the law for people who work for companies to have political opinions. It's not against the law for companies to use their money & influence in elections. AT&T spend millions to get Republicans elected in 2016. They even spent millions hiring Michael Cohen to influence Trump. There are no laws preventing that kind of political influence. Democrats have tried to pass campaign finance laws to prevent that kind of interference, but Republicans oppose it. If Republicans would like to propose campaign finance laws that are fair and prevent all companies, not just the ones who oppose them, from influencing elections, they will find the Democrats like Warren and Sanders willing to co-sponsor. But keep in mind that there are a lot more companies that support Republicans, so it will hurt them more.

Myself .Just heard the news on the radio that James O'Keefe's Project Veritas got something on Google.....

Back to the topic....I agree what some of you guys said in what does Amazon got to do with big tech right up front.Need The only issue with them is their cut rate USPS rates.Maybe Sen Warren is looking at them for the cheap postage rates.Cant blame her for doing that....

In having worked for UPS (Although I recently retired) I know that they negotiate rates with all their customers and give bigger shippers better rates, including Amazon. Fed Ex also does that, and I'd think that the USPS does as well, and that is perfectly legal.

In having worked for UPS (Although I recently retired) I know that they negotiate rates with all their customers and give bigger shippers better rates, including Amazon. Fed Ex also does that, and I'd think that the USPS does as well, and that is perfectly legal.

One other thing that doesn't get mentioned is that Amazon passes all shipping costs on to consumers. So if the postal service raises the rate, Amazon will just pass that cost on to consumers. Kind of like tariffs.

It's not against the law for people who work for companies to have political opinions. It's not against the law for companies to use their money & influence in elections. AT&T spend millions to get Republicans elected in 2016. They even spent millions hiring Michael Cohen to influence Trump. There are no laws preventing that kind of political influence. Democrats have tried to pass campaign finance laws to prevent that kind of interference, but Republicans oppose it. If Republicans would like to propose campaign finance laws that are fair and prevent all companies, not just the ones who oppose them, from influencing elections, they will find the Democrats like Warren and Sanders willing to co-sponsor. But keep in mind that there are a lot more companies that support Republicans, so it will hurt them more.

If Google and Twitter were run by Republicans and were silencing your views, I humbly suggest that you might feel differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom