Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 164

Thread: Sen. Elizabeth Warren pushes to break up big tech companies like Amazon and Facebook

  1. #151

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Solano County, California
    Posts
    9,164
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/googl...165844292.html

    Here is more on the antitrust investigation on Google/ Alphabet inc.


    The U.S. government has indicated that it’s stepping up its antitrust scrutiny of America’s biggest tech giants — but Google parent Alphabet (GOOG, GOOGL) may have the most to fear from regulators.

    Earlier this week, multiple reports emerged that the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission had divvied up responsibility for handling investigations of big tech — with the DOJ taking on potential probes into Google and Apple (AAPL) and the FTC agreeing to handle any matters related to Facebook (FB), Amazon (AMZN). Congress is also launching a bipartisan investigation into competition in digital markets.

    But Google’s wide-reaching influence — it has over 90% market share for search — and arguably questionable business practices in online search, advertising, and mobile puts it at particular risk with regulators, several legal experts say.

    “We know Google is dominant in search, and we know that they've done certain things to keep their search engine [on top] and with search results, so we know there’s smoke there,” explains George Hay, a professor of law and economics at Cornell Law School.

  2. #152
    More internet regulation? Or maybe LESS internet regulation. This commentator says repealing a law might lead to fewer posts being removed:

    https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/mich...re-of-internet

    Of course the downside is a lot more potentially objectionable content. The commenters point is these companies are simply following the law. But maybe the law is the problem.

  3. #153
    In the meantime it seems that Keanu Reeves' Twitter account has been suspended. Not because of politics:

    https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/kea...-rhyming-meme/

  4. #154
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post


    I disagree. On Amazon, I have a much broader choice of goods than any retailer. I find my exact size in clothes, the exact style and colors in housewares, the precise components I need for a computer build... and so on. And I find many things that are just not available at any local retailer as well as parts for devices I already own.

    Seldom is what I want out of stock. The prices are good, and I can always compare with other good online retailers like Newegg, WalMart, Chewy, Wayfair, Costco and the like and pick the best deal with the fastest shipping. I do not have to go out when it's 122° outside, and I don't have to go out when I don't feel great or when I have a better use for my time.


    I hate going out to shop. The things I want are never in stock or not even carried. I have an "uneven" size in clothes, which is never available locally anywhere. I have specific needs in electronics (find me a binned 128 gb DDR4 @4000 set locally anywhere!) and in household goods that are never met at retail.




    I think that the test is market share. Other online companies are successfully competing, and retail seems to survive when retailers do what is required. As BigA said, Sears has failed because it began to suck big time, not because of Amazon.
    1 Got a point there David.I bought 3 cameras and some microphones on Amazon .Like you said .Who in the heck wants to go out in 122 degrees or an icy 20 below zero temps to that matter.
    My friend uses Chewy all the time for his 2 cats and loves it.

    2 I see that issue with clothes at Walmart.Their size range is odd and never have my size there.Picked up 3 CDs there last week for $5 bucks a piece...About two years ago the sales person said their were going to phase out CD's there.

    3 Yes Sears. The people that first had mail order failed around when the internet was a little internet in the 1990's.
    Poor upper management there and also killed Radio Shack because they did not keep up with the times.......

  5. #155
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Amazon isn't killing retail, the consumers are killing retail. They have a choice of buying products in stores or doing mail order, and they choose mail order. If they don't use Amazon, they can use eBay or dozens of other online retailers. They choose Amazon because it's better. Any retailer can pick whose stuff they want to sell. WalMart has very strict rules if you want to get your stuff in their stores. If WalMart can do it, why not Amazon? The fact is that if Amazon gets broken up or shut down, the Chinese have an online company called Alibaba that will quickly take its place. Alibaba will only sell Chinese goods, not American. So if POTUS is really America First, he will support American companies.

    Look at Sears. They were terrible. Everyone says they were terrible. Stores like Sears forced consumers to buy online, because they could get what they wanted at affordable prices. If the government wanted to solve the problem, they should have bailed out Sears. Instead, it went bankrupt, and Amazon profited.

    The other thing is that for the government to prove anti-trust, they have to show how Amazon is using its advantages to drive up prices and hurt consumers. The fact is Amazon is doing the opposite. It's driving down prices, making goods cheaper for consumers. POTUS attacked Amazon for using the Post Office, so they created their own in-house delivery system that's cheaper for consumers than the post office. The government could save money by following Amazon's systems, but they won't.
    Yes I see where you are saying here.Later in life Sears went down the drain with Radio Shack and other box stores....
    I'm glad that some of us older people are catching on with online buying then getting left out in the cold..

  6. #156
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,564
    Quote Originally Posted by WPPCProductions View Post
    3 Yes Sears. The people that first had mail order failed around when the internet was a little internet in the 1990's.
    Poor upper management there and also killed Radio Shack because they did not keep up with the times.......
    A good part of Radio Shack's failure is also the reason behind the end of magazines like Radio TV Experimenter, Popular Electronics, Electronics Illustrated and many more: the decline in home "workbench" electronics building and experimenting.

    No longer do people go to places like Radio Shack to buy resistors and capacitors and transistors and switches and other components to assemble into a doorbell chime or intercom. Everything is now on a robot assembled, wave soldered board with parts so small you can barely see them.

    Radio Shack was part of the dawn of personal computing with the Trash 80, but they did not last long in the IBM standard PC world. Same with toys and games... and nearly nobody sells radios and stereos today.

    Their style of technology was a window that closed, and in most areas they were no longer relevant to changing needs and lifestyles.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  7. #157
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

    Their style of technology was a window that closed, and in most areas they were no longer relevant to changing needs and lifestyles.
    The profitable side of their business seems to have been picked up by a chain called Batteries Plus. They sell all forms of batteries for watches, phones, alarm systems, computers, video recorders, or even cars. That became one of the only reasons I went to Radio Shack in their final days. I'm a watch collector, so I often need to replace batteries.

  8. #158

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Solano County, California
    Posts
    9,164
    http://www.investigatetv.com/political-ads/

    Heres another reason why people want facebook to be regulated its for political ads on peoples feeds though.

  9. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioPatrol View Post

    Heres another reason why people want facebook to be regulated its for political ads on peoples feeds though.
    Still if your browser knows you visit political sites, political ads will find you.

  10. #160
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,564
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Still if your browser knows you visit political sites, political ads will find you.
    And, OMG, will they follow you. Some of them will find out enough to get an address or a phone number, too.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

     
Useful Contacts
Community


123