Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Sen. Elizabeth Warren pushes to break up big tech companies like Amazon and Facebook

Sometimes I think in a way it might not be a bad idea to separate the political side of social media (on BOTH sides) from the side of people who use it for updating what's going on with family and friends who don't care about the political hacks on both sides who have ruined it for them. Perhaps there should be a separate Facebook like site where political commentary isn't allowed.
    Last edited by anotherguy; 06-15-2019 at 10:30 PM.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
    I got to thinking in a way it might not be a bad idea to separate The political side of social media (on BOTH sides) from the side of people who use it for updating what's going on with family and friends who don't care about the political hacks on both sides who have ruined it for them. Perhaps there should be a separate Facebook like site where political commentary isn't allowed.
    The problem is... just as it is with many of us on this radio board... that politics is not far removed from broadcasting or any other subject.

Want to talk about college? That brings up student loans, student debt, polarized teachers and so on.

Want to talk about your job? Increasing state taxes... regulations... EEO... and a hundred other subjects that are political come up.

In radio, it's everything from balance to ownership to music licensing... all controlled or regulated by the government.

Heck, even in "Gunsmoke" you had to keep Marshall Dillon on your side!
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

And, OMG, will they follow you. Some of them will find out enough to get an address or a phone number, too.

But in my case the superpacs got my number and address through voter registration forms. And in my case I know where some of these ads come from these people doing the political ads on facebook are based from their west coast offices in Sacramento though.

http://www.investigatetv.com/you-can...g-on-facebook/

And, OMG, will they follow you. Some of them will find out enough to get an address or a phone number, too.
    I don't get enough junk ads to get excited about it but I did invest in a good smartphone blocker and, as I have to walk right passed my garbage can when coming in from the mailbox, it is real easy to toss the paper format. I wish I could kill the freebie neighborhood "newspaper" as easily.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

A good part of Radio Shack's failure is also the reason behind the end of magazines like Radio TV Experimenter, Popular Electronics, Electronics Illustrated and many more: the decline in home "workbench" electronics building and experimenting.

No longer do people go to places like Radio Shack to buy resistors and capacitors and transistors and switches and other components to assemble into a doorbell chime or intercom. Everything is now on a robot assembled, wave soldered board with parts so small you can barely see them.

Radio Shack was part of the dawn of personal computing with the Trash 80, but they did not last long in the IBM standard PC world. Same with toys and games... and nearly nobody sells radios and stereos today.

Their style of technology was a window that closed, and in most areas they were no longer relevant to changing needs and lifestyles.
    I agree 100 percent.Used to subscribe and get those mags in the mail all the time.Still have them here today somewhere in the garage.Also enjoy the digital versions on your site.....

Kids today or the past two decades have no interest in building any electronic device.Maybe a few did but suffer the loss of the good ole times just walking into a will stocked Radio Shack of parts for their projects like me and others back in the day....

I agree with the projects in the latter life of those mags just turned me off with the digital miniature surface mount stuff now we see in everyday life in electronics.

Back to Amazon.Nice to see these radio kits on there.....

https://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Radio-...gateway&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-2P3-Ra...ateway&sr=8-13

Give one to a kid instead of having him/her spend hours on their phones...

With everything going digital with embedded software on tiny chips,
    these things just don't lend themselves to the home hobbyist the way they did
    40 or 50 years ago.

Arduino...

Software-defined radios...

3D printing...

You're just not looking at the right things.

Quote Originally Posted by kwthom View Post
    Arduino...

Software-defined radios...

3D printing...

You're just not looking at the right things.
    I do like the SDR site here https://sdr.hu/

I tune in the AM stations around the world.Also ham stations and shortwave and on....

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyE1977 View Post
    With everything going digital with embedded software on tiny chips,
    these things just don't lend themselves to the home hobbyist the way they did
    40 or 50 years ago.
    Almost 60 .The small surface mount chips and other components dont do justice to my eyes even with a mag lens..Luckily I got a digital picture frame working tonight.I could go to Amazon and by a new one instead anytime.Was at Walmart tonight and did not see any with the video playback feature like the one I just fixed tonight...

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-...investigation/

Youtube under investigation over business practices

The U.S. government is in the late stages of an investigation into YouTube for allegedly violating children’s privacy, according to four people familiar with the matter, in a probe that threatens the company with a potential fine and already has prompted the tech giant to reevaluate some of its business practices.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast