• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBBF simulcasting WHTT

Just scanning the AM dial I heard Classic Hits 104.1 on WBBF 1120. Could a format change be coming soon using the 100.3 FM translator they have?

This station should be sold to someone that could do something with it. Daytime only AM with a very small translator at 80w and less than 100ft with satellite fed programming hardly seems with it. When I have listened to that station the audio is poor on both AM & FM. Cumulus keeps it to make money or so someone else can’t?

Keep in mind that Cumulus does not own the 100.3 translator. It belongs to Edgewater Broadcasting and had been leased out by the programmers of 1120. It could be paired with a different AM or an FM HD subchannel. WBBF has a new CP for a new translator on 98.9 (yes - WBBF on 98.9 again, ironic for us Rochester folk!) that will mostly reach the Southtowns from the 1120/104.1 site.

Keep in mind that Cumulus does not own the 100.3 translator. It belongs to Edgewater Broadcasting and had been leased out by the programmers of 1120. It could be paired with a different AM or an FM HD subchannel. WBBF has a new CP for a new translator on 98.9 (yes - WBBF on 98.9 again, ironic for us Rochester folk!) that will mostly reach the Southtowns from the 1120/104.1 site.

Which is, LITERALLY, a short drive from where I live. (The tower site, that is...)

Last edited:
There was some talk not too long ago about Cumulus instituting a country format on 1120 and its leased translator. Although most people familiar with Cumulus and the market downplayed that nascent rumor, the fact is Cumulus has the Nash and Classic Nash brand, and will soon own a translator that reaches a considerable number of potential listeners in central and southern Erie county. That noted, it's not like WXRL and it's translator are making inroads on WYRK, the market's leading full power country station.

There was some talk not too long ago about Cumulus instituting a country format on 1120 and its leased translator.

Sounds uncharacteristically strategic. They haven't been as active with that Nash brand lately as they'd been a few years ago.

And of course they just sold their NYC station.

Cumulus also owns Westwood One. They have several country formats available besides Nash. They have other formats as well. If they can't find anybody to LMA it they do have other programming available.

Cumulus also owns Westwood One. They have several country formats available besides Nash. They have other formats as well. If they can't find anybody to LMA it they do have other programming available.
Sounds like Cumulus has options. Maybe bring in Ken Johnson and get the WWOL call letters if they're still available.

Last edited:

Country version of WECK?
at first I didn't get the reference, but then your point hit home. Doing such a format against WYRK would be titling at windmills. Then it occured...Could Cumulus have plans for an Oldies station that wouldnt get in the way of WHTT but might play havoc with WECK? Fifties and 60s. Wow! That would be like the Russians messing with the US elections on social media.

Could an all polka format work in Buffalo? Couldn't be any worse than what they are doing now. Sixty years ago an all Polish format would have worked fabulously but nobody dared to try it then.

What happened to the Urban gospel format on 1120?
It was a brokered format. Very likely, the buyer couldn't come up with the rent. Could be Cumulus jacked up the rate. Polka shows (at least on the weekend) on 1120 aren't as far out of the realm as some might think. Back in the day, Stan Jasinski and Bob Mycek did polka shows on weekends and the programs generated a respectable sum.

Anybody old enough to remember country on 1120 WWOL? I do! Oh yes...and the Polka shows! Buffalo, one of the few places where you still can hear a good Polka on the radio!

I remember country on WWOL very well. WWOL was the last Buffalo station I ever worked for. Was in the summer of 1969 when some foolish employees formed a union and went out on strike. Apparently WWOL was doing well and the air talent thought they weren't getting their fair share of the vast profits. Management was desperate and I was available. Was the only job I've ever had when I left the radio station accompanied by an armed guard who inspected under the hood of my car to make sure there was no explosive present. I think that Ramblin' Lou worked there at the time as it was before he bought 1300 from Stan Jasinski.
When you have a station with as little ratings potential as 1120, all polkas might make sense. What's there to lose?

I'm pretty sure that Cumulus would be happy to broker the station to anybody with cash. You got a format and enough money to pay the utilities? Make 'em an offer! An hour, a day - take the whole week! Airtime is for sale!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom