• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

IS KXEG(AM) 1280 dead?

A February 6 Facebook post by one of the programs' hosts says "KXEG Trumpet is no longer on the air". In a comment, she explained:

"For Zion's Sake was on 1280 Trumpet on Internet ... but the station is now bankrupt. But, if we go on 1010am - they offer internet listeners - I will post when we are on the air again. We were not notified until today when we recived e-mails from a manager of 1010 who managed 1280 many years ago and he was our friend. I'll let you know, Thomas, when the programs become available again online."

On February 10, someone complained that they no longer can pick up 1280 AM in Apache Junction. And on February 8, another program said the station was off the air.

There's activity on Facebook and Twitter (which almost appears to be someone's personal account).

Jacob Barker of KXEG filed a silent STA request on behalf of Gabrielle Broadcasting. Reason cited in application was , "LICENSEE RECENTLY LOST THE USE OF THE STATION'S TOWER SITE DUE TO A SALE OF THE REAL PROPERTY UNDERNEATH THE AM TOWER. LICENSEE IS EXPLORING OPTIONS FOR RELOCATING THE STATION TO A NEW TOWER SITE." KQFN is on that same tower and has made no similar notice to FCC.

Jacob Barker of KXEG filed a silent STA request on behalf of Gabrielle Broadcasting. Reason cited in application was , "LICENSEE RECENTLY LOST THE USE OF THE STATION'S TOWER SITE DUE TO A SALE OF THE REAL PROPERTY UNDERNEATH THE AM TOWER. LICENSEE IS EXPLORING OPTIONS FOR RELOCATING THE STATION TO A NEW TOWER SITE." KQFN is on that same tower and has made no similar notice to FCC.

Maybe KQFN is the one who bought the land and kicked KXEG out? Maybe KXEG didnt pay their rent and were kicked out? Maybe they aren't telling the entire truth?

Those are all possibilities. I am not claiming to know anything or making accusations.. but sometimes you have to read between the lines.

Maybe KQFN is the one who bought the land and kicked KXEG out? Maybe KXEG didnt pay their rent and were kicked out? Maybe they aren't telling the entire truth?

Those are all possibilities. I am not claiming to know anything or making accusations.. but sometimes you have to read between the lines.

IIRC, I think American Tower owns that site.

Also, I noticed that the Silent STA used the address located at 4020 N. 20th Street, Suite 208. Doing a little detective work the other day, KXEG is no longer located in that location. It's being used by some foodservice company and the guy there said they moved out six months ago.

Barker leased space in his shed and on his tower to KQFN, making CRC a renter. Because KFNN is a Class D, they could diplex on another stick with a more stable situation than what Barker offered. The Nurse and I even wonder if Barker let Cohen know 12~Eight was on leased land? Downside for CRC is the cost of another engineering study to move the stick.

KFCS 1580 Colorado Springs, CO (1580 and 104.3 The Trumpet) was owned/operated by GABRIELLE BROADCASTING LICENSEE II, LLC... they defaulted on payments to the seller and the court system appointed a receiver. The phone number on the FCC CDBS Database for Gabriel Communications is the phone number for KXEG's licensee (GABRIELLE BROADCASTING LICENSEE ORDINAL I FCC, LLC), 917-612-5693

http://kfcsradio.com/station-operator/

Barker leased space in his shed and on his tower to KQFN, making CRC a renter. Because KFNN is a Class D, they could diplex on another stick with a more stable situation than what Barker offered. The Nurse and I even wonder if Barker let Cohen know 12~Eight was on leased land? Downside for CRC is the cost of another engineering study to move the stick.

I drove past the stick shack (and former KHEP AM/FM studios) on 38th Avenue the other day and they spent a lot of money to upgrade the HVAC system to take on the 50,000 watt transmitter of KQFN (even removing the vintage "KHEP" sign on the roof). The American Tower sign that I've noticed in photos online was nowhere to be found.

Being in an industrial area in one of the rough parts of Phoenix City Limits, I can't see how that land would have sold for more than the stations' values are worth.

I drove past the stick shack (and former KHEP AM/FM studios) on 38th Avenue the other day and they spent a lot of money to upgrade the HVAC system to take on the 50,000 watt transmitter of KQFN (even removing the vintage "KHEP" sign on the roof). The American Tower sign that I've noticed in photos online was nowhere to be found.

Being in an industrial area in one of the rough parts of Phoenix City Limits, I can't see how that land would have sold for more than the stations' values are worth.

You're right...that's a real POS location. Makes the KOY crack house on Buckeye Rd look semi-respectable. Not sure which is a bigger turd...the land or value of the license?

This was my old station when it was KHEP in 1997. I remember when we were sold and everyone lost their jobs in 2000.
I helped transition to the new owners and trained them on the automation system. I’m sad to hear that it’s all over now.

from allaccess.com

In addition, MEDIA SERVICES GROUP's STEPHEN A. SLOAN has been appointed receiver for GABRIELLE BROADCASTING LICENSEE ORDINAL and is handling the operation and sale of KXEG-A and K241CS/PHOENIX. Parties interested in acquiring the stations can contact STEPHEN C. SLOAN, Director, MEDIA SERVICES GROUP, INC., 90 Bow Street, EAST GREENWICH, RI 02818 or (401) 447-9616.

from allaccess.com

In addition, MEDIA SERVICES GROUP's STEPHEN A. SLOAN has been appointed receiver for GABRIELLE BROADCASTING LICENSEE ORDINAL and is handling the operation and sale of KXEG-A and K241CS/PHOENIX. Parties interested in acquiring the stations can contact STEPHEN C. SLOAN, Director, MEDIA SERVICES GROUP, INC., 90 Bow Street, EAST GREENWICH, RI 02818 or (401) 447-9616.

catfish (lower case C) sez the tower was sold to Vertical Bridge, so the new owner doesn't get lease payments from KQFN. The Nurse and I are frantically searching the Media Hut storage room to see if we have enough S&H Green Stamps to make an offer.

catfish (lower case C) sez the tower was sold to Vertical Bridge, so the new owner doesn't get lease payments from KQFN. The Nurse and I are frantically searching the Media Hut storage room to see if we have enough S&H Green Stamps to make an offer.

I've got $10 and some Pizza Hut coupons from the back of Y-95 stickers...

I don't know if Mike Barna has the interest, but that translator on Shaw Butte would have some value.

I've got $10 and some Pizza Hut coupons from the back of Y-95 stickers...

Then please contact the M&A department at the Buckeye Media Hut regarding a possible partnership. There's no need for the Nurse and me to go broke by ourselves.

I don't know if Mike Barna has the interest, but that translator on Shaw Butte would have some value.

hmmmm...maybe Vic Michaels (aka the King of Translators) will make a deal...his Valley cluster consists of only one AM with a 3 watt translator.

hmmmm...maybe Vic Michaels (aka the King of Translators) will make a deal...his Valley cluster consists of only one AM with a 3 watt translator.

Maybe he's too busy fighting John Low's far-fetched claims that the 250-watt translator on Shaw Butte he owns on 96.5 but leases to EMF is causing interference to the (supposedly) 30 kW KIKO-FM? That station has become nothing but "Good Time Oldies" and non Stop interference calls to action when the STL doesn't break.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom