• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dead air on KDXB-LP 95.3 (except for...)

valvashon

Frequent Participant
Since the dead air format seemed to be popular when it was on C89.5, I thought you'd all like to know it's also on KDXB-LP 95.3 in the Seattle metro area. Almost all hour, every hour. I say "almost" because they do broadcast about a 10 second ID at the top of each hour. Something like "This is KDXB-LP, Seattle".

Seems to be the absolute bare minimum to keep the license active. This may end up being the "one LPFM too many" I mused about in my LPFM Roundup thread earlier.

Val

How strange. I think someone from the station has posted here before, saying they're trying to get things going, but not sure what's going on there. I don't even see the point of keeping the transmitter on if all they're going to run is the legal.

Wonder if this is perhaps more of an equipment issue. They have been playing music pretty continuously for some months. Amazing coverage, actually, for such a tiny power output.

If the station is bringing its content in by internet, pausing only to do the TOH ID, that could explain it. I have a few stations that bring their content in remotely. If the originating studio drops its feed for some reason, and the station doesn't have backup content, it just sits there until it's TOH routine. A bit aggravating, when you get hourly silence alarms from those outlets.

It's just another 'nobody cares' LPFM. Neither the licensee nor anybody who might stumble across it as a listener cares. As with over 60% of the LPFM licensees issued, they won't meet their requirements as a licensee nor financially viable, and will eventually just go away. The whole LPFM concept was a bad idea that has proven itself as a waste of spectrum.

I always thought as long as there is http://www.radio4all.net/ , https://www.jamendo.com/start and https://archive.org/, there should be no reason whatsoever for an LPFM to have dead air. The idea of course, is to get local volunteers. But in a pinch to get something - ANYTHING on the air, an in-depth report on the effects of vegan diets on native Maori New Zealanders will do until you can scrobble something else together (this is an LPFM, not KQMV.)

Or, I know of a service that can provide three different types of programming 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for community stations. http://globalcommunityradio.blogspot.com.

It might work in a pinch. But ultimately, being LPFM, you'll want to get something a little more locally relevant that this. Bellingham's KZAX-LP 94.9 does it by being an outreach to the Bellingham indie music community. KDXB-LP's signal is in just the right area for Seattle too (where bands/fans and clubs are.)

I completely agree. However, running GCR would be a lot better than running dead air. I also know of a few local bands they could play.

On an errand up to Shoreline I again heard the TOH ID driving through downtown on I-5. Thought I'd follow them up the freeway and they come in pretty nicely with minimal picket fencing as far as Northgate. Perhaps this one should be sold/donated to the UW for Rainy Dawg Radio. Assuming you can get the DJ's to stop saying things like "...Sorry about that, I had a shi--y start to the show today".

Didn't Rainy Dawg apply for an LPFM at one point?

It's just another 'nobody cares' LPFM. Neither the licensee nor anybody who might stumble across it as a listener cares. As with over 60% of the LPFM licensees issued, they won't meet their requirements as a licensee nor financially viable, and will eventually just go away. The whole LPFM concept was a bad idea that has proven itself as a waste of spectrum.

Kelly, thanks for the vote of confidence on KDXB-LP... We are actually using a temporary music source while we work on some negotiations for a final studio space, as you know starting up a radio station with content is more work than just flipping a switch. Audio should be back now, once we have the new automation system in this should get much more reliable.

John

I completely agree. However, running GCR would be a lot better than running dead air. I also know of a few local bands they could play.

Since people were wondering what happened:

1. the silence alarms got filtered by spam
2. I have been out of town (otherwise i would have noticed in the car) and it took days for our own volunteers to tell me the automation system was stuck.

Currently we are producing the signal from an equipment rack in my datacenter and sending it up the STL to the transmitter but we are working on final studio space. We have a good lead but wanted to get a deal worked out that would allow a quality program.

John

Thanks for the updates John, I knew someone from KDXB posted here, but couldn't remember the screen name.

Kelly, thanks for the vote of confidence on KDXB-LP... We are actually using a temporary music source while we work on some negotiations for a final studio space, as you know starting up a radio station with content is more work than just flipping a switch. Audio should be back now, once we have the new automation system in this should get much more reliable.

John

Hi John,

You must have mistaken my vote of no-confidence, with a vote of confidence. No ill feelings intended, but starting an LPFM station is a worse gamble than starting a new restaurant using volunteer cooks and waitstaff.

Over 68% of the original licensed LPFM's are no longer on the air for the same reason.

Good luck!

I think you have that number flipped.It is actually about 33-34% that are no longer on the air. Quite a few never turned that Construction Permit in to a license.

Many reasons for this: It ranges from excessive tower leases,imploding governing boards, full power stations making moves (even overpowered translators) and a biggie: not understanding how to sell and marketing the station. There are issues with cities and counties as well.

All too many operators have no clue what they are doing. It can be very drastic to the point even the most basic knowledge is lacking (ie: wanting to involve the community but never telling the community as in saying it on air or reaching out to the community at events and gatherings to communicate this or at minimum be seen). There was the Catholic programmed station in a county with only about 50 Catholics that scratched their head wondering why nobody listened or supported them. Then those with the thinking their concept of radio will toss radio on it's ear only to find they are their only cheerleader for their personal jukebox.

Some LPFMs do very well. They're very well programmed and generate income any small town station would be proud to have. Most are in small towns themselves and tend to beat out the full power stations that have mostly a computer in a closet with local programming consisting of filling the breaks on the satellite feed when they have a few commercials to clear.

LPFM's biggest problem is lack of knowledge. Not to be harsh but 'radio experience' should be defined as sales and programming not just one of the two. Those LPFMs with someone with radio experience are typically either sales or programming oriented,not both. I can truly say after years on air and in programming I had little knowledge of the other side of the building. Once I got to the sales side I was amazed the lack of understanding of programming on that end of the building.

I get that you're a proponent for mom-and-pop plus LPFM stations, but anyone who gets into the non-commercial, flea-powered, volunteer-run radio biz should be going in eyes wide open. Not just looking from behind rose colored spectacles.

The fact is that many of the LPFM's that have survived have been handed-over or picked up by churches. The one's that have remained viable are the exception, not the norm.

I agree to disagree. Looking at LPFM transfers I see very few and not many going to churches.The vast majority of LPFMs went to churches. Simply put they're the ones that applied for them originally. Some of them are disenchanted with running a station.

In fact, I was talking to one guy that heads a church. He wondered why their LPFM was not bringing visitors to the pews. I asked him what he did to get people in the pews and he said mostly secular events sponsored by the church. I told him the radio station would continue to just preach to the choir unless he embraced the community with a format the town wanted. He was perplexed saying the congregation would never go for that. I suspect the lack of expected results and paying the billing will result in this station going away in the not too distant future once the congregation says enough is enough.

I fully agree LPFM operators need a dose of reality before jumping in. In fact, that's their biggest problem.

I agree the successful LPFMs are few. Mostly those successful LPFMs survive on under $1,500 a month and manage to have a reserve for emergencies. They actually have a decent number of volunteers and some listeners (at least to the point of many folks knowing about the station or have sampled it).

I base this on national, not regional. The latest I've seen is 1,068 failures, 2,100 on air and 133 with active CPs.

I am a proponent of radio in general. I have seemed to have a knack at picking the most ill equipped stations to work for, especially early on. It was like being tossed in the deep end and told to sink or swim. Much of what I had to do was above my pay grade so to speak. Literally it was to assure my paycheck would clear. I suppose I have such an attitude because I have been stuck in that position quite a bit and had to make lemonade.

Back in 2013 when the LPFM window was announced, I shared your opinion. In most heavily radioed metro markets in 2013 starting an LPFM seemed like an exercise in futility.

At that time, I was living in Cañon City CO, which was only 30 air miles from Colorado Springs but terrain shadowed from Cheyenne Mountain. 2013 was the year of the Royal Gorge Fire. I watched DC-10 supertankers dump fire retardant on the mountains while parked almost in front of the local AM-FM station, the only reliable local signal save for a handful of out-of-town translators. While the mountainside just west of town was on fire, our local station was running stale newscasts from several hours earlier. Talk about a waste of spectrum.

That's when I decided to create a non-profit to apply on an LPFM. I went in with low expectations and was not surprised. Apart from interest in the project from a former major-market PD who had retired to Cañon City, there just wasn't a lot of community support. And the former PD's interest proved fleeting. Unless I took out a loan myself to cover the construction costs, it wasn't going to get built. So little KOAV, K-Wave, floated like a rock in the middle of class V Royal Gorge Arkansas River rapids. I did all of my own engineering and FCC filings, and no one lost any money on the venture except about $200 I spent with LegalZoom to incorporate.

Here we are in 2019, and we're starting to debate the future viability of full-power broadcasters, let alone LPFMs. The county-seat stations and the major news-talk outlets seem to me like they have the best route to success, and that's with an increasingly tough ad sales climate.

John

But why run a station with 3 watts of power? Who's going to listen? How can it possibly be viable or worth the effort when the power level allocated is so low?

Your station's Facebook page says that you "haven't determined your exact format yet". Why did you apply for a license not knowing what programming you were going to produce?

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom