• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WNTY 990-AM What happened to their signal?

MarcB

Walk of Fame Participant
Anyone know what happened to the signal of WNTY 990-AM? Being that we're in Southington it's usually crystal clear during the day and almost crystal clear at night, but the last couple of days the signal sounds weak and staticy day and night. This is on the house radio, my Walkman, and on the radio in the Honda Civic. Driving all over Southington the signal is like this. I only noticed because I turned on my Walkman for the first time in a long time the other day, so I'm not sure how long their signal has sounded like crap. In the house and car we listen to their 96.1 FM signal and when when I walk or am working on my laptop in the office I'm listening on the tune-in app on my smart phone.

Anyone know what happened to the signal of WNTY 990-AM? Being that we're in Southington it's usually crystal clear during the day and almost crystal clear at night, but the last couple of days the signal sounds weak and staticy day and night. This is on the house radio, my Walkman, and on the radio in the Honda Civic. Driving all over Southington the signal is like this. I only noticed because I turned on my Walkman for the first time in a long time the other day, so I'm not sure how long their signal has sounded like crap. In the house and car we listen to their 96.1 FM signal and when when I walk or am working on my laptop in the office I'm listening on the tune-in app on my smart phone.

who on here but you cares? Why not email them and ask?

I don't even care. Aside from the other night when I turned on my Walkman I don't remember the last time I listened to an AM radio station or any radio station on a regular radio. (The radio that Mom leaves on in the kitchen or the radio in the car not withstanding). I do all my listening on my Smart Phone now. For $50 a month I get 8 GB of Data (in addition to unlimited talk and text). That 8 GB is enough to listen to Kool Radio, Hot 93.7, 104.3 BMX Jams (Chicago), La Mega 101.7, Bomba-FM on my phone when I can't get Wi-Fi.

I don't know why you have to make all these jerky comments. If you don't like the thread, don't be on it and keep moving. Stop acting like a troll, it's super annoying for the people who actually want to read intelligent comments.

I don't know why you have to make all these jerky comments. If you don't like the thread, don't be on it and keep moving. Stop acting like a troll, it's super annoying for the people who actually want to read intelligent comments.

And...

... the question about the station may be a reflection of what happens to AMs once they get a translator. The AM becomes nothing more than the requirement for the translator, is no longer promoted or mentioned, and pretty much forgotten.

The FCC should realy start giving such translators a class of service that grants protection and let the AM stations sign off for good.

And...

... the question about the station may be a reflection of what happens to AMs once they get a translator. The AM becomes nothing more than the requirement for the translator, is no longer promoted or mentioned, and pretty much forgotten.

The FCC should realy start giving such translators a class of service that grants protection and let the AM stations sign off for good.

The problem with WNTY's signal is major! Today on my way back from Cheshire I made it a point to drive past the WNTY studio/towers on Old Turnpike Road, switched the radio in the Honda Civic to AM 990 and in front of their studio/towers the signal was weak and staticy!

No real upside for the FCC to do that, and it rewards translator recipients and penalizes the AMs who didn't qualify for the revitalization bailout.

The problem with WNTY's signal is major! Today on my way back from Cheshire I made it a point to drive past the WNTY studio/towers on Old Turnpike Road, switched the radio in the Honda Civic to AM 990 and in front of their studio/towers the signal was weak and staticy!

I left a voicemail about WNTY's signal issue with Scott Baron in the Engineering Department at Full Power Radio in Bloomfield.

I left a voicemail about WNTY's signal issue with Scott Baron in the Engineering Department at Full Power Radio in Bloomfield.

I finally remembered to check 990 AM's signal today. It's crystal clear once again. I've had a lot on my mind so I forgot all about checking it out. Just a lot of stress going on in my life, so checking out the signal of a little rinky dink AM station is way at the bottom of my list of priorities.

I finally remembered to check 990 AM's signal today. It's crystal clear once again. I've had a lot on my mind so I forgot all about checking it out. Just a lot of stress going on in my life, so checking out the signal of a little rinky dink AM station is way at the bottom of my list of priorities.

If some little rinky dink AM is of so little importance, you sure care and talk about it alot.

Hi Marc and everybody.The AM signal comes in ok here in Wallingford the last time I checked which was about a week ago.

On the otherhand their FM signal comes in great here with great sound .My only problem is hearing the 60Hz buzz on their FM signal.

The buzz reminds me of a poor ground on a turn table or a FM modulator powered by a bad wall wart power supply. .I hope their engineer scopes it out and find the cause of it.

Other then that .Its a great oldies station .

Hi Marc and everybody.The AM signal comes in ok here in Wallingford the last time I checked which was about a week ago.

On the otherhand their FM signal comes in great here with great sound .My only problem is hearing the 60Hz buzz on their FM signal.

The buzz reminds me of a poor ground on a turn table or a FM modulator powered by a bad wall wart power supply. .I hope their engineer scopes it out and find the cause of it.

Other then that .Its a great oldies station .

That buzz has been there for well over a year. It's on AM/FM and the feed on Tune-In. It's very noticeable during the play-by-play of the Blue Knights Football games on Friday Nights in the fall. The only time I don't notice it is on Sunday mornings during the Italian show when the programming is actually originating from the studios on Old Turnpike Road. In certain parts of the area I can pick up 1270-AM and there is no buzz.

That buzz has been there for well over a year. It's on AM/FM and the feed on Tune-In. It's very noticeable during the play-by-play of the Blue Knights Football games on Friday Nights in the fall. The only time I don't notice it is on Sunday mornings during the Italian show when the programming is actually originating from the studios on Old Turnpike Road. In certain parts of the area I can pick up 1270-AM and there is no buzz.

Thanks Marc for the info .I did not know about the buzz problem was heard that long.I first tuned in around Christmas time last December.

Tonight" Sunday night" around 8:50 pm. Now I notice the FM side is dead air with a carrier in mono with no buzz at all.Did not check the AM side. Also I notice they off the air when I tuned in yesterday afternoon .They were fine yesterday morning when I was listening to Casey's AT40 show.

I hope they get the bugs out of their system since its a nice station to listen too.

Thanks Marc for the info .I did not know about the buzz problem was heard that long.I first tuned in around Christmas time last December.

Tonight" Sunday night" around 8:50 pm. Now I notice the FM side is dead air with a carrier in mono with no buzz at all.Did not check the AM side. Also I notice they off the air when I tuned in yesterday afternoon .They were fine yesterday morning when I was listening to Casey's AT40 show.

I hope they get the bugs out of their system since its a nice station to listen too.

They went down sometime between the end of AT40 at Noon Saturday and 1:20PM Saturday. At Noon My Mom and I arrived at the Meriden Mall. It was about 20 after 1 when we got back into the car and the station was off the air. Both the AM and FM were down. Initially the Tune-In feed was down as well, but that came back up sometime Saturday Night. Before work this morning I sent a Facebook Message to their Afternoon DJ Michael Maze and he responded that he would contact the engineer department. When I got out of work at 4PM I changed the radio to 96.1 and Kool Radio was back on. For anyone who cares you can call the engineering department at Full Power Radio in Bloomfield - 860-243-1115.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom