• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mancow show on WLS

Billkex

Banned for racist posts.
I am new to listening to him. Things I have noticed that (for me) make it difficult:

1. It sounds like he has too many others in the studio with him & and they are all trying to talk over each other.

2. While he's talking or interviewing someone, they will play music in the background. His interview with the Rolling Stones' bass player was a nightmare to hear/understand. They kept playing Stones music clips over the interview & bringing the music levels up and down. (We know the songs....is there REALLY a need to play them?)

3. There doesn't seem to be any type of flow, it's a mess. He will suddenly change veer off topic, with everyone talking over each other.

4. The audio levels of all the mics are not the same. One person is real loud, while others are real low. Many times, it sounds like he is constantly turning away from the mic when talking.

I listen on the internet on a smart speaker, maybe it sounds different on the local AM band in Chicago?
Is his show typically like this?...very fast paced & everyone talking over each other?

Thanks!

Have not listened yet (I sleep mornings) but it probably sounds more stable on AM. More processing. As for the music, his shows always had music and other background effects going up and down. That was just a part of it.

4. The audio levels of all the mics are not the same. One person is real loud, while others are real low. Many times, it sounds like he is constantly turning away from the mic when talking.

I listen on the internet on a smart speaker, maybe it sounds different on the local AM band in Chicago?

I would think over the air on the AM dial, going through the audio processing would, no doubt, take care of those levels and level them all out....

Over the air, the audio levels of all the elements of the show remain very consistent. It must be an issue with the stream.

Over the air, the audio levels of all the elements of the show remain very consistent. It must be an issue with the stream.

It's less an issue with the stream, more an issue with the board work. Since he runs his own board he just pots everyone's mics up and then focuses on things other than the levels. It's lazy, but he knows the processing will clean it up OTA.

Big Mancow fan. he is a perfectionist. I know he likes spontaneity and a certian degree of chaos, but if it hurst the show and/or his brand, he'll fix it.

It's less an issue with the stream, more an issue with the board work. Since he runs his own board he just pots everyone's mics up and then focuses on things other than the levels. It's lazy, but he knows the processing will clean it up OTA.

This seems to be true about a lot of streams and radio show podcast. I don't understand why these stations feed the stream pre processing.

I am new to listening to him. Things I have noticed that (for me) make it difficult:

1. It sounds like he has too many others in the studio with him & and they are all trying to talk over each other.

2. While he's talking or interviewing someone, they will play music in the background. His interview with the Rolling Stones' bass player was a nightmare to hear/understand. They kept playing Stones music clips over the interview & bringing the music levels up and down. (We know the songs....is there REALLY a need to play them?)

3. There doesn't seem to be any type of flow, it's a mess. He will suddenly change veer off topic, with everyone talking over each other.

Is his show typically like this?...very fast paced & everyone talking over each other?

Thanks!

A couple of months later, I haven't listened to his show on WLS or previous shows he had on other station, this show is a return show for him after co-hosting a show on WLS from 2008 to 2010. And I know that at least one point he had his radio show that was also seen on tv as well. And i see that Robert Feder had a reported, and he did say it was not an April Fool's Day joke that Mancow's show is now start earlier at 5:30 AM, and i had looked a few times that day, and the show schedule wasn't updated, I do see today that they did updated it, but still why not start his show at 5 AM and have him do a 4 hour morning show. If you think his show is bad, you might not find Steve Cochran;'s morning show on WGN Radio not much better, I don't know about them talking over each other, but Steve Cochran can be late frequently fior the news, and then also can interrupt as well, sy if Dave Eanet who is the sports director of WGN Radio and the regular sports anchor in the mornings if he is doing a sports report, Cochran might get a thought on his mind, and then interrupt and then it takes longer then it should for Dave Eanet to get his report done.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom