Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Waiting to see - WABC, WNBM and W232AL-FM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
    Would it make sense to build around the tower in a manner similar to what was done at WSB's transmitter?
    Have you been out there lately? They've pretty much done that already. It's a single tower with a transmitter shack. It's surrounded by other commercial buildings, with an access road to the highway. This won't be as lucrative as the Bethesda location, because it's not residential. But it's a nice chunk of land, similar to the WBBM site.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Have you been out there lately?
    I have. Encroaching commercial construction has not (yet) surrounded the WABC tower by macadam as it has at WSB. The question is, whence would WABC transmit if its Lodi tower gave way to development? The Meadowlands? Furthermore, any relocation would undobtedly come at the expense of a downgraded signal.
    Last edited by Kemosabe; 02-26-2019 at 03:25 PM.
    Plugged into the electric radio

I have. Encroaching commercial construction has not (yet) surrounded the WABC tower by macadam as it has at WSB. The question is, whence would WABC transmit if its Lodi tower gave way to development? The Meadowlands? Furthermore, any relocation would undobtedly come at the expense of a downgraded signal.
    Just looking at an aerial map of the WABC site, it looks as if the land may be classified as wetlands since it has a creek or ditch draining it and what looks almost like it's a dried up area that probably gets pretty wet during rainstorms. If so, there may be limits as to what can be built there. If the federal or state government classifies it as a wetland, any developer is going to have to jump through a lot of hoops in order to build there and they may have decided that it's not worth the effort.....that is even if whomever owns the land wants to sell it.

The question is, whence would WABC transmit if its Lodi tower gave way to development? The Meadowlands? Furthermore, any relocation would undobtedly come at the expense of a downgraded signal.
    I think they know all this. Which may be why they're not rushing to sell. Gotta have a chair to sit in before you give up the one you got.

The tower itself is pretty historic, going back to the 30s.

For those of you who think Salem will buy WABC:

https://www.radiodiscussions.com/sho...ok-and-Layoffs

In the 1960s, trading 770 for 99.5 would have been the deal of a lifetime for WBAI and the kiss of death for WABC. Nobody had FM radios back then.

I wonder if WNYC would be interested in 770. It would be a big upgrade from their 820 AM signal which currently simulcasts 93.9 part of the day. 770's much better signal penetration and coverage area might provide WNYC an opportunity to offer more original talk programming on the AM side if they were to trade up. And that is one broadcaster that is doing well financially.

Quote Originally Posted by Theater of My Mind View Post
    I wonder if WNYC would be interested in 770.
    I think the expense exceeds any possible benefits. In fact I haven't seen any NPR stations rushing to buy any AMs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    I haven't seen any NPR stations rushing to buy any AMs.
    There aren't many AMs in the country with the kind of coverage WABC has. Doubly so when it comes to ones potentially for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Theater of My Mind View Post
    There aren't many AMs in the country with the kind of coverage WABC has. Doubly so when it comes to ones potentially for sale.
    But we have no indication that it's for sale. In fact the company CEO has said quite the contrary. Unless someone makes them a great offer, they seem prepared to hang onto it for a while. To be honest, the kind of coverage WABC has doesn't matter for WNYC.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast