Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: EMF Buys WPLJ/New York, WYAY/Atlanta, WRQX/D.C., More From Cumulus

You seem to like blowing things up. That is the absolute last step a company makes. And they're not any lucrative format to 99.1.
    Perhaps putting a lucrative format on 99.1 will actually garner respectable ratings for that frequency. Seemed to work for WHFS once upon a time. Seems to be working for WLZL today.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    Seemed to work for WHFS once upon a time. Seems to be working for WLZL today.
    I think you're overstating the success of WHFS at 99.1. It wasn't that lucrative at 102.3 either. It was a pet project of the Einstein family.

CBS tried several formats at 99.1, and this situation seems to be the most dependable. The problem seems to be the signal is weakest in the western suburbs, which is where the rich folks live.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Perhaps putting a lucrative format on 99.1 will actually garner respectable ratings for that frequency. Seemed to work for WHFS once upon a time. Seems to be working for WLZL today.
    WLZL is doing better than any general market format could likely do. Since it is the only Spanish language FM, it gets listening in areas where most people would not put up with the quality of the signal in another format. And it is billing quite nicely.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Bloomberg heavily promotes the 99.1 frequency on the network's national coverage. When a news anchor does a story from DC, the staff always says he's in "our 99.1 Bloomberg DC Newsroom."

It may not be much for ratings but Bloomberg seems to like having it there. And with income levels so high in the DC suburbs, it's logical that Bloomberg has four corporate controlled stations, NYC, DC, San Francisco and Boston. I don't believe Entercom and Bloomberg will discontinue the arrangement, unless Bloomberg buys it outright.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    WLZL is doing better than any general market format could likely do. Since it is the only Spanish language FM, it gets listening in areas where most people would not put up with the quality of the signal in another format. And it is billing quite nicely
    PLUS (and this is a big plus) a large part of the audience for this station lives within the coverage area: Northeast DC and the Maryland suburbs. Even Arlington and parts of NoVa. It can be a stretch however to get it in my favorite Mexican restaurant in Clarendon. But it comes in clear on Mount Vernon Avenue.

I think you're overstating the success of WHFS at 99.1.
    I'm fully aware of the fact the station's ratings cratered in DC once (a) DC101 shifted toward a modern rock heavy playlist and (b) a true CHR/Pop station reappeared in the market (which siphoned young caucasian listenership), but nonetheless WHFS did enjoy several years of ratings success at 99.1 MHz. Even after the station's ratings tanked in DC, it still enjoyed OK numbers in Baltimore for a lengthy stretch of time.

Didn't WHFS bill around $12 million or $13 million annually at its peak?

WHFS did enjoy several years of ratings success at 99.1 MHz.
    Depends on how you define "success." The problem then as now is the signal favors the eastern side of the city, while the bulk of the growth is in the west. It really isn't a full market FM. So that limits what you can do with it.

I would be remiss if I did not mention what an absolute dumpster fire DC101 has become under the "leadership" of iHeart's alternative format gurus. The current version of the station is a disgrace to the venerable DC101 brand! Its ratings in its home market are barely better than its ratings in Baltimore these days.

I will never understand why iHeart feels it cannot have a classic rock and active rock station in the same market. In all the markets where the two formats once co-existed, iHeart flipped the active rock station to weak sauced, gender neutral alternative, or in the case of Denver, moved the active rock station to a severely signal impaired translator. The one & only exception to this rule that comes to mind is San Diego.

As horrible as DC101 currently sounds, I cannot see iHeart blowing it up to fill the Hot AC hole. The reason? If the Hot AC hole is left unfilled, 97.1 WASH-FM will pick up many of those listeners.

If DC101 were to adopt a playlist similar to what Philadelphia's WMMR features, I bet the ratings would rise at least 30% within 90 days.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567