Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: EMF Buys WPLJ/New York, WYAY/Atlanta, WRQX/D.C., More From Cumulus

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Keep in mind that any advertisers aren't paying for "subscribers," and there's no way to really tell which subscribers are listening to the ad-supported channels, or the ad-free music channels. There's a whole lot more blind faith going on here.
    Maybe, they need an all "Blind Faith" channel!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Keep in mind that any advertisers aren't paying for "subscribers," and there's no way to really tell which subscribers are listening to the ad-supported channels, or the ad-free music channels. There's a whole lot more blind faith going on here.
    I remember first hearing about radios in unsold cars in dealer lots being represented to advertisers as "subscribers" back when the companies were separate. Talk was that this was how Sirius was inflating its subscriber count, as XM was only counting radios actually bought and in use.

By the way, doesn't Nielsen measure listening to individual SXM channels? You'd think that at this stage of the game that the technology is available to do so and that SXM is paying Nielsen for solid numbers. Listener surveys and/or measuring online listenership by channel provide an incomplete picture.

Quote Originally Posted by semoochie View Post
    Maybe, they need an all "Blind Faith" channel!
    A SiriusXM channel devoted to a Rock supergroup from 50 years ago that released only one album would get very repetitious...

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post

By the way, doesn't Nielsen measure listening to individual SXM channels?
    Not any more. They subscribed for a while and TTBOMK don't encode any more.

However, they do report to several monitored Mediabase charts. They do some weighting based on usage. But those are only the currents based channels. And I'm not sure of the weighting is based on actual usage or estimates.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    I remember first hearing about radios in unsold cars in dealer lots being represented to advertisers as "subscribers" back when the companies were separate. Talk was that this was how Sirius was inflating its subscriber count, as XM was only counting radios actually bought and in use.
    The "unsold cars" issue was of importance mostly among investors who looked at installed and churn rates as leading indicators of future performance. Since the music channels don't carry advertising, ratings are just not a metric that advertisers were looking for.

By the way, doesn't Nielsen measure listening to individual SXM channels? You'd think that at this stage of the game that the technology is available to do so and that SXM is paying Nielsen for solid numbers. Listener surveys and/or measuring online listenership by channel provide an incomplete picture.
    For Nielsen to measure, there needs to be a subscriber. I think SXM gets enough data from its own surveys and from the online portion to both sell and to make programming decisions.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    I think SXM gets enough data from its own surveys and from the online portion to both sell and to make programming decisions.
    I thought it was interesting that Sirius was posting double digit revenue increases for advertising on its political talk channels. Nowhere in this article does it say anything about audience size. It seems that advertisers are more willing to accept internal surveys from Sirius than they are from broadcasters. As I said: Blind faith.

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/si...ts-1203183905/

The problem I've had with SXM surveys I've received over the years is that they are subtly slanted and are more "push polls" than by-the-book surveys. For instance, I was asked which sports channels I listen to, and the first station on the list was Chris Russo's Mad Dog Sports Radio, the vanity project that Chris Russo is being paid handsomely to program. A survey on talk and entertainment station preferences was topped by the two Howard Stern channels. Again, money talks. Methinks the top execs in New York know just what they want these surveys to indicate and make sure no one ignores the channels the corporation is paying the most to program to possibly be missed by a single respondent. Channels from outside sources that SXM carries at a much lower cost all were down toward the end of the lists. But if the investors and advertisers buy those results as legit, then hey, why not. There's a sucker born every minute, as they say, and a lot of them have lots of money to throw around.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    The problem I've had with SXM surveys I've received over the years is that they are subtly slanted and are more "push polls" than by-the-book surveys. For instance, I was asked which sports channels I listen to, and the first station on the list was Chris Russo's Mad Dog Sports Radio, the vanity project that Chris Russo is being paid handsomely to program. A survey on talk and entertainment station preferences was topped by the two Howard Stern channels. Again, money talks. Methinks the top execs in New York know just what they want these surveys to indicate and make sure no one ignores the channels the corporation is paying the most to program to possibly be missed by a single respondent. Channels from outside sources that SXM carries at a much lower cost all were down toward the end of the lists. But if the investors and advertisers buy those results as legit, then hey, why not. There's a sucker born every minute, as they say, and a lot of them have lots of money to throw around.
    Advertisers and investors are two unrelated groups. Investors look at subscriptions, churn, percentage of new vehicles with installs, etc. They don't care much about the program formats on the channels.

Advertisers can't buy the music channels, so much of the listening is not monetizable via advertising. And the polls like you have received are more for program decisions, not advertisers. Advertisers buy delivery, and that is why most of the talk channels are sold in multi-channel packages, not individually. I suspect that SXM does some kind of quantitative studies for advertisers, though... even if they are just based on the easier to measure streaming offerings.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    I suspect that SXM does some kind of quantitative studies for advertisers, though... even if they are just based on the easier to measure streaming offerings.
    Easy to measure, hard to authenticate.

May 31 is the final day!

Anyone thinking the IP or just the format is getting moved over elsewhere? (Laughing at the comments over on the other site’s FB page...moving to 106.7?!?! Really?!?!)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast