• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

EMF Buys WPLJ/New York, WYAY/Atlanta, WRQX/D.C., More From Cumulus

leethalweapon

Star Participant
This is terrible news when one considers the tremendous progress Cumulus has made over the past 12 months in rebuilding Mix 107.3 into a formidable station. Someone will almost assuredly pick up the Hot AC format. I cannot see Cumulus dumping WMAL, though.

So, in New York, Cumulus is left with failing 770 WABC, massive failure 103.9 WNBM, and ho-hum 94.7 Nash FM.

I'm a little surprised they didn't sell WNSH-FM to EMF and move Nash from 94.7 to 95.5.

That is a mistake.
No it’s not. Radio is and always has been a busine$$.

While Mix has significantly improved, PLJ has had terrible billing and mediocre ratings for awhile (the ratings stinking go back to at least the early 2K). E-com probably couldn’t get the stick anyway because it might get the DOJ involved.

Last edited:
Wow.

ANY possibility of Mix moving to 105.9 and WMAL shifting back to AM only?

WMAL way out billed Mix (more than two to one) and the FM is needed to compensate for the large loss of signal when the AM moved its transmitter site to be able to sell the land. They got more for the land than an AM station is worth!

Last edited:
It's to bad Entercom already flipped 94.7 Fresh FM to Classic Hits as 94.7 The Drive. Might Entercom rethink this and return 94.7 to Hot AC? That's if the classic hits format isn't taking off.

It just dawned on me that once 107.3 WRQX flips to K-Love, one of the nation's largest radio markets will be left with only six - count 'em six (!!!) - commercial FM signals featuring non-ethnic music formats.

Washington's FM dials looks like some cities' AM dials!

WAVA (Christian Talk)
WPRS (Black Gospel)
WTOP (News)
WMAL-FM (Conservative Talk)
WJFK-FM (Sports)
WDCH (Business News)

The lack of mainstream secular music choices for Caucasian listeners is truly stunning. I cannot think of any other top 25 market where this is the case. Granted, folks who live east or northeast of town have a number of Baltimore options.

It just dawned on me that once 107.3 WRQX flips to K-Love, one of the nation's largest radio markets will be left with only six - count 'em six (!!!) - commercial FM signals featuring non-ethnic music formats.

Washington's FM dials looks like some cities' AM dials!

WAVA (Christian Talk)
WPRS (Black Gospel)
WTOP (News)
WMAL-FM (Conservative Talk)
WJFK-FM (Sports)
WDCH (Business News)

The lack of mainstream secular music choices for Caucasian listeners is truly stunning. I cannot think of any other top 25 market where this is the case. Granted, folks who live east or northeast of town have a number of Baltimore options.

I think that your perspective is a little over-simplified.

First, the Urban and Urban AC formats have considerable non-African American listening.

Then you have WIAD, WPGC, WASH, WSMD, WMZQ, WIHT, WBIG, WWDC, WRQX all in formats with mostly non-Hispanic white core audiences.

You have just 92.7, 93.9, 96.3 and 102.3 being primarily African American in appeal and just 107.9 being entirely Hispanic in focus. The market is 27% African American, so four commercial FMs out of 27 licensed as home to the MSA is not excessive, and the market is 16% Hispanic yet there is only one Spanish language FM.

Yes, 92.7 and 98.3 are not "central" facilities, but are definitely "home" to the MSA.

The lack of mainstream secular music choices for Caucasian listeners is truly stunning. I cannot think of any other top 25 market where this is the case.

Keep in mind that non-Hispanic whites make up only 35% of the city population. DC is an historically black town.

Also there are two non-commercial stations in the Top 10, including classical WETA. You won't find classical radio stations in the Top 10 of many markets either.

Last edited:
I just heard the sound of WGTS’ jaws drop. If the station was still owned by the school I’d predict a sale in a year or two. Since it was divested hard to say what happens, can the area support 2 CCM stations (not even factoring in rimshots Shine FM and WPER)?

can the area support 2 CCM stations (not even factoring in rimshots Shine FM and WPER)?

Sometimes groups will be willing lose money to have their content heard in certain cities. This may be one of those cases.

I'm pretty sure that's how Pacifica feels about WPFW. Certainly the costs for operating this station will be pretty low.

I don't know why they waiting to program WIAD with a full air staff? It's useless for a greatest hits station with most of the time nonstop music. Only the PM shift is filled out.

WMAL way out billed Mix (more than two to one) and the FM is needed to compensate for the large loss of signal when the AM moved its transmitter site to be able to sell the land. They got more for the land than an AM station is worth!

Thank you. I didn’t know how well WMAL billed. So we’re seeing no chance of Mix migrating to a new frequency :-/

I just heard the sound of WGTS’ jaws drop. If the station was still owned by the school I’d predict a sale in a year or two. Since it was divested hard to say what happens, can the area support 2 CCM stations (not even factoring in rimshots Shine FM and WPER)?
That's the first thing I thought of when I heard of the WRQX sale. WGTS has the local advantage and they should be planning to bolster their local appearances and DJ tie-ins. Even though WRQX has a slightly better signal than WGTS, EMF is hobbled by having no local presence. This should be WGTS's battle to lose, but they're certainly going to have to adjust as they'll now be sharing audience with 107.3. Still, if they can leverage their local presence, they should have the clear fundraising advantage over EMF.

Then you have WIAD, WPGC, WASH, WSMD, WMZQ, WIHT, WBIG, WWDC, WRQX all in formats with mostly non-Hispanic white core audiences.

Tiny WSMD is a non-factor.

WPGC's core audience is predominantly white? That one surprises me. How many are over the age of 25?

Five of the six white-targeted commercial music stations I named are owned by iHM, interestingly enough. Perhaps this helps explain why iHM invests so little in quality programming & local air talent on some of them. 98.7 WMZQ and DC 101 are pathetic shells of their former selves. The playlist on DC 101 is atrocious; what used to be "DC's Rock Station" has turned into "DC's sissy music station."

Sadly, I don't believe Hot AC will return to the market on a full scale signal anytime soon. iHM has no incentive to change anything. Cumulus isn't going to ditch WMAL. Radio One doesn't do Hot AC. Entercom won't be touching WPGC or WJFK, and there's probably no reason to even mention 99.1 or 107.9.

Only way Hot AC comes back is if Entercom decides to do a 180 on 94.7 and bring back Hot AC (sidenote - I personally thought Fresh was a terrible sounding station that didn't hold a candle to Mix 107.3).

Could we see Jack Diamond ultimately land in mornings at 94.7 The Drive?

Once 107.3 as we know it today is kaput, 97.1 WASH-FM and to a lesser degree B101.5 and 92.5 WINC-FM will reap the rewards.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom